Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Training for first double century

Old 10-17-14, 10:18 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Training for first double century

For the past few summers I have spent a week or two in Wuxi China, which is a city near Shanghai and situated besides Lake Tai (Taihu), China's 3rd largest lake. Next summer I am planning to circum-navigate the lake by bike, which is roughly 200 miles. The farthest distance I have logged on bike has been about 60 miles, so I've got a bit of training to do. Ideally I would like to start and finish while the sun is out, giving me about 14 hrs of daylight to work with in August. I will be riding on a converted 20" wheel folder (Bike Friday Pocket Llama) which has road bars and bar end shifters.

I would like any advice on planning, training, to day of preparations. August can get fairly hot and humid in Wuxi. In 2013, it was 105F everyday I was there for 10 days, this year, it was mild at 80F, but about 90% humidity. I only plan to ride if the temps are below 90F. Winters in NJ will most likely lead to indoor cycling on a trainer but not on the BF Llama. When I do road riding, I only spend about 25% of my time on the Llama, should I increase the frequency? The other times on the road, I will use anything from a touring bike (Bruce Gordon), carbon/aluminum road bikes to classic steel bikes.

I have two young kids, so training time outside will be limited, I can spin indoors for 2-3 hrs max on weekdays and 4-6 hrs one day on the weekends outside. Every two to 3 weeks, I could likely stretch the weekend ride to a full day and get in longer rides over 100 miles. With those limitations will I get enough mileage in to attempt the distance. Also the heat and humidity concerns me, we don't get close to that humid or heat index in NJ.
Old 10-17-14, 11:19 AM
anotherbrian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
If you can comfortably ride 100mi in a reasonable time (7 hours?), then you should be able to do 200mi in a day (though don't expect it'll be as comfortable). Takes lights just in case.

If the furthest you've gone to date is 60mi, I'd work up to the 100mi and then reassess what you think is desirable/possible at that point. A 200mi ride a year from now should be easily do'able in any case.
Old 10-18-14, 08:00 AM
LastKraftWagen

Bikes: Burley Duet [of some unknown year] (the guinea pig); 2001 Ventana ECDM (the project); And always one less than I think I really need.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unless you love the go-nowhere bike (the trainer), 2-3 hours there at a time can easily destroy your motivation to even look at a bike. Suggest instead shorter but much more intense sessions in the trainer. With the allotted time you say you have for training, you'll have to make that time count with more intensity rather than riding at your expected pace. Lots [lots lots lots] of interval workouts. Make every minute count. Then as weather and time allow incorporate some longer "at pace" kinds of rides.

Definitely ride the Lama more, if that is going to be your bike of choice. You want to be most accustom and adapted to the bike you intend to ride. Just guessing (having not looked any of them up) that every bike you described rides differently and stresses the body in different ways..."Train the way you race" Also make sure the Lama is suited for the ride, averaging over 14mph for 14 hours...

Sounds like a great ride, best of luck.
Old 10-20-14, 09:31 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Your internal reserves (glycogen) run out somewhere around 50-70 miles, so you will need to refuel/eat every 15-20 miles from 40miles onward.
Fluid intake will also be even more important, especially in temps above 80F or so. Figure on at least 1 oz per mile, and even that may not be
enough. If the area is very hilly, this will take a lot more out of you than flatter terrain and wind can be a big factor as can whether you bike
through a forested area versus wide open terrain. Once fatigue sets in, some people lose their appetite and don't drink as much, which accelerates
the decay of ability. It helps to do progressively longer rides, bumping up 30-40% each increment to see how you respond to the stress. A saddle/
shorts combo that is fine for 60, may be a mess at 140 miles. Trainer riding in an air conditioned environment is not going to be enough.
Old 10-20-14, 10:10 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Your internal reserves (glycogen) run out somewhere around 50-70 miles, so you will need to refuel/eat every 15-20 miles from 40miles onward.
Personally, I recommend eating right from the very beginning. I don't see any advantage to letting glycogen stores start to be drawn down significantly before starting to replenish them.
Likes For Steamer:
Old 10-20-14, 09:12 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Course is very flat, roads are very close to the lake so very minimal elevation change. Main concern is the humidity, I did a 30 miler in 85F with 80% humidity and it wasn't easy. I can maintain a 15-16 pace but the humidity and lack of shade concerns me.
Old 10-20-14, 09:28 PM
anotherbrian

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Must you complete the entire ride in one day? If you're concerned about how difficult it'll be, why make it unnecessarily so?
Old 10-20-14, 09:49 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Good Luck.
Let us know if you finish. (I have yet to hear of anyone going more than 200km a day in China)
Traffic, road conditions, and construction may be a limiting factors.
Old 06-14-22, 06:30 PM
NewToEndurance

Bikes: Cannnondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I've never done a multi-century before and I'm in even more of a desperate situation hah. I'm doing a race from Massachusetts to Connecticut June 24-26. I got a really late start on my training due to an injury, so I haven't worked my way up to a double-century in the training yet (though I have done multi-day training). I'm thinking about doing a back-to-back 75 mi day this Thurs & Fri, but a little concerned about overtraining since the event is in 10 days.

Below is a new thread I started but have yet to get responses (sorry about the bold, couldn't switch it). PLEASE HELP, and thank you!!

I'm doing the Tri-State Trek from Boston to Greenwich (CT) from June 24-26. The trek is 270 miles over 3 days, about 90 miles/day.
A few months ago, right before I was set to begin my training, I tore my bicep and had surgery. Rehab has gone well, but I've only had ~5 weeks to train on a bike (2 of those weeks on a stationary bike).
Outdoor training rides I've done so far (8 total):

May 28th - 2 hrs
May 29th - 2.5 hrs

June 2nd - 3 hrs
June 3rd - 3.5 hrs
June 4th - 3.5 hrs

June 10th - 5.5 hrs
June 11th - 4.5 hrs
June 12th - 2.5 hrs

Now, with 10 days left,I'm looking for a plan to help me get to the finish line. I'm not backing out. It's for a cause a strongly believe in. My goal is to finish the race.
Can you please offer recommendations on how you would spend these remaining training days if you were me?

Relevant background:

- former college athlete (mid 30's now)
- been active since college with various sports including soccer and basketball
- NO endurance cycling experience; NO cycling-as-a-hobby experience (transportation in college, junior high)
- I understand training recovery: diet, rest, stretching, roll out/massage, etc.

I took this Thurs and Friday off of work to support any remaining training I need to do. (Training needs to conclude next Tues; I leave for Boston -from CA- next Wed).
Old 07-30-22, 10:30 AM
77Eric

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
One measure I use is if I can do about a 4 hour ride at a good pace and then recover well enough to do it again the next day and feel about the same (or better!). I do not feel it is necessary to do longer rides unless you are fit enough to recover quickly. You want to train your endurance/hydration/nutrition but save your big effort and real suffering for the big ride.