Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Theft prevention: Deface make and model?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Theft prevention: Deface make and model?

Old 09-27-22, 01:57 PM
Brennan

Bikes: Surly X√, Trek Earl

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Back when I lived in the SF Bay Area, there was a chance of finding your stolen bike at one of the local flea markets. Some thieves were much more organized though. They collected lots of high value bikes and trucked them up and down the west coast to sell in different markets so they would be harder to track, probably hitting LA, SF, Portland, Seattle mainly.
Old 09-27-22, 02:55 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...back in D.C., many years ago, we just used a cheap paint brush, and paint the frame with flat latex house paint. It's plenty fugly, attracts dirt and grime, peels in places, and is easy to remove if your theft risk situation changes. For a really fugly look, add some random wrappings of duct tape.
Can’t beat a duct tape wrapped saddle.

Mis-matched front wheel screams that the original was stolen but the bike was left.

John
Old 09-27-22, 03:36 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Depends .... A lot of bikes are stolen for joy rides or to fund a minor drug habit ... those folks will steal what is easy. Best deterrent there, is a big fat lock and chain---if the bike is Visibly locked, by someone who obviously knows how to lock a bike. When I lock up at the hardware store or gym, I use two locks---anyone who wanted to could disable either lock in five or fifteen minutes, but most sneak-thieves don't want to spend that much time or energy.

If you have a bike actually worth stealing and selling, then you need a Fahgedaboutit-sized lock---which weighs more than the lightweight, expensive bike. What's the point? And no matter what you use for a lock and chain, a grinder can grind through it. The pros who go out and load a van full of high-end bikes a couple times a weekend, know what bikes are worth stealing and have the tools to defeat almost any lock quickly. Clarification": any lock or chain can be defeated, but the pros are not going to spend five or fifteen minutes and two batteries grinding through a 70-pound chain (most will cut through whatever the bike is locked to.)

On a college campus, Anything will get stolen. $50 Craigslist bikes, free bikes picked up of the side of the road .... anything. Your hope is that there is a better bike on the rack that is easier to steal.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-27-22, 04:05 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by smasha
What does everyone else think? Any bike thieves or recovering bike thieves who can comment?
Maybe you should post on BikeThiefForums?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-27-22, 04:20 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Sometimes they just steal a bike ta stay in practice...
Old 09-27-22, 04:44 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
If I want to buy a piece of art, I'll buy a piece of art.

I'm not buying a new bike to appreciate its aesthetics, I'm buying a new bike to get from point-A to point-B. When I'm not riding it, it will be locked up, often outside, often not where anyone is watching it.
How sad. I enjoy looking at my bikes. I like riding them even more. That said, we probably ride for different reasons.

As for attempting to disguise your bike, it might be helpful or it might not. Certainly, an obviously high-quality bike that isn't secured very well is going to be a juicy target. However, an ugly bike and a good lock still might not be enough of a deterrent from someone determined to take it. As I posted about above, a whole flock of locked bikes were stolen from a locked bike cage at my daughter's college dorm last week. It was clearly a coordinated and planned effort by multiple people. They took the bikes they could take easily, regardless of their quality. The few bikes that survived were the ones where the owner made it too much effort for the thieves to take.
Old 09-27-22, 05:05 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Maybe you should post on BikeThiefForums?
Unfortunately the name may have changed but the trolls are the same…

What is the Best Way to Carry Bolt Cutters on Someone Else’s Bike?

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-27-22, 05:08 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Even though I am the smartest person in the room .... @base2 wins the thread.

Making the bike ugly won't stop the poor folk, and the people who steal good bikes will see through the paint ... but do it if you like.

I doubt most bike thieves care if what they steal is "identifiable" because no one is "identifying" a stolen bike unless the thief gets caught ... and they don't think they are going to get caught. Either they are shipping and selling out-of-town, or selling them for drugs to people who are selling them to druggies, or will get ridden and dumped somewhere ...

Personally I am closer to @indyfabz .... I won't leave my bike anywhere I think it will get stolen, I lock it with whatever degree of security I think might be called for, and if I think my bike isn't safe somewhere I just don't leave it there.

Maybe there is some guy on an old Peugeot who leaves his bike locked with a cheap cable in a high-crime area 55 hours a week .... and maybe he is just very lucky. Maybe he has good karma. maybe his bike got stolen while I was typing this.

I have had three bikes stolen (one recovered) and I don't want to lose another so I take care. And no matter what, anything can happen.

As to the efficacy of making a decent bike look trashed .... the only people who care what the bike looks like are stealing really high-end bikes and they would see past the camouflage. Otherwise there are two categories---easily stealable bike or hard-to-steal bike. The latter gets stripped, the former stolen.

Or .... you might be right. Testing is how things are proven. Science is driven by experimentation and observation of results. Do it and find out.
Old 09-27-22, 05:12 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
If I want to buy a piece of art, I'll buy a piece of art.

I'm not buying a new bike to appreciate its aesthetics, I'm buying a new bike to get from point-A to point-B. When I'm not riding it, it will be locked up, often outside, often not where anyone is watching it.

fwiw, it's being built with almost nothing higher-specced than Deore. It'll be an good bike to ride, regardless of what the paint looks like. I've never cried when any of my commuter bikes got scratched up; if I didn't want them getting scratched up, I'd lock them in the garage and never ride them.
Are you an engineer or some profession closely related?

Old 09-27-22, 05:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Sometimes they just steal a bike ta stay in practice...
Who are “they”? And do “they” steal just a bike?
Old 09-27-22, 05:30 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Can’t beat a duct tape wrapped saddle.

Mis-matched front wheel screams that the original was stolen but the bike was left.

John
I’ve ridden a couple of my own bikes with mis-matched wheels due to warranty claims or LBS repairs.

One time I broke a spoke while riding a train to the start of a charity event. Got off the train, rode home, swapped the wheel and tire, blew the tube on the first try (terrifying the cat), rode back to the train and did the ride in great time despite having to navigate through many slower riders due to my late start.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-27-22 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-27-22, 05:30 PM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Who are “they”? And do “they” steal just a bike?
I think “they” is a non-binary pronoun that refers to a person, place, or thing.

John
Old 09-27-22, 06:35 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
I don't you understand how the mind of your average bike thief works. You also portray yourself as someone who fears there is a thief lurking behind every lamp post.
If you don't understand the average bike thief, then you presumably have little basis for speculating about how to deter him/her. You can can comfortably fall back to "this is the way I've always done it", but that ignores the fact that things change.

One of the places where I go a few times a week; I've lost count of how many bikes have been stolen from a rack just outside the front door. I know someone who had a bike stolen, came back the next week with a beater-bike, and that was stolen. She lost two bikes from the same place, one week apart.

To borrow from George Orwell: How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to.

There may not be a thief lurking behind every lamp post, but there may well be a thief lurking behind the lamp post where I'm parked; if you didn't consider this possibility, you'd never even use a bike lock.
Old 09-27-22, 06:41 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Who did that? I am not "offended" by the idea. I simply think it's dumb because it offers nothing. It is certainly not worth 4 pages of thread.

Indeed, if you think the idea has merit why even start a thread about it? (To start controversy? Oh. Wait. Now I remember. You were asking what others think of the idea--until you weren't asking that. ) Just do it. Make it as fugly looking as you want. Just make sure you post proof-of-life photos after you do. A before and after comparison so we know you are for realz. That might redeem this thread.
What it potentially offers, is that it would be unattractive to thieves who would otherwise break good locks to take decent bikes. You don't understand that???

Complain all you want about how much bandwidth it's taken up, you've contributed significantly to that wasted bandwidth, while doing exactly what you claim isn't happening.
Old 09-27-22, 06:44 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by Eric F
Your advice in action...Last week, my daughter moved into her college dorm along with a bunch of her classmates who brought bikes. The bikes were put in a locked cage at the dorm, and each bike had its own lock(s). That first night, the cage was broken into, and most of the bikes were stolen by sawing though the steel frame of the bike racks. One of the few bikes to survive was that of a non-freshman who used 8 u-locks on his bike.
But, but... 8 U-locks on one bike is just being paranoid.

Also; If it's stupid but it works, then it isn't stupid.

Seems a lot of people here have committed the first axiom to memory, but they're not interested in the second.
Old 09-27-22, 06:47 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
lock it up and take the saddle with you
It's got a D-Fuse seatpost. No QR.

I'll probably swap out that standard bolt with a security-bolt. And depending on circumstances, tie two plastic shopping bags over the (nice) saddle.
Old 09-27-22, 06:58 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It appears you just want posters to agree with you and that will qualify it as productive.
base2 has made a few comments that explained better options. That's what I call both (a) disagreeing and (b) adding value to the discussion.

While most everyone else is just complaining about being offended by defacing, defiling, and sullying a new bike, base2 actually raised issues that have me reconsidering my original plans.

Still pissing off the people who consider a new bike more art to look at than utility to use, I'm now leaning towards a more conservative approach to defacing, defiling, and sullying a new bike.
Old 09-27-22, 07:04 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by Eric F
How sad. I enjoy looking at my bikes. I like riding them even more. That said, we probably ride for different reasons.
I would argue that it's sad how people get so upset when their bike gets a scratch in the paint.

This new bike was literally scratched before I picked it up from the shop. I appreciate that they gave me a small discount for that, but I'm not upset about it.
Old 09-27-22, 07:08 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by rsbob
Are you an engineer or some profession closely related?
I am an engineer by training, by experience, and by nature.
Old 09-27-22, 08:33 PM
indyfabz

What it potentially offers, is that it would be unattractive to thieves who would otherwise break good locks to take decent bikes. You don't understand that???

Complain all you want about how much bandwidth it's taken up, you've contributed significantly to that wasted bandwidth, while doing exactly what you claim isn't happening.
I understand that you convey that you don’t understand.

Again, go ahead with your plan. Until you do and provide proof, you’re obviously trolling and have nothing of value to add. You can’t even post a photo of the bike you plan to alter.

And I love how you misrepresent what I have written. Never stated I was offended. Just stated that I think your idea is stupid. Never complained about you wasting bandwidth. Just stated a fact. Here’s another statement of opinion: You’re not good at what you’re trying to do.

Iggy list updated in 5, 4, 3..,.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-27-22 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-27-22, 09:50 PM
Maelochs

I know someone who had a bike stolen, came back the next week with a beater-bike, and that was stolen.
Well, there is your science experiment. Locking a nice bike or a beater makes no difference, so trying to disguise a nice bike as a beater would be a waste of time and money.

You had the answer all along.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-28-22, 02:58 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
Bizarre thread! I guess I don't want to live wherever "smasha" lives. Honestly, if I was THAT worried about my bike being stolen I would probably not bother owning a nice bike. There's always insurance of course. Over the years I know a couple of people who have had nice bikes (and cars for that matter) stolen and their insurance paid out without issue.

I don't personally think the concept of "trashing" your bike's cosmetic look will make a big difference, except if you come to sell it on!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-28-22, 03:07 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Well, there is your science experiment. Locking a nice bike or a beater makes no difference, so trying to disguise a nice bike as a beater would be a waste of time and money.

You had the answer all along.
Her good lock (I don't know how good) was busted when the first bike was stolen, and the beater-bike was locked with a crappy lock.

So it does not answer my question.
Old 09-28-22, 07:36 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Don't conflate you not liking an idea with that idea being wrong.

It may not be the best/right answer for you, but you have not explained why my idea wouldn't be right for me.
My explanation has been provided, it is not my job to make sure someone doesn't manipulate my words in there favorable way for false interpretation.
Old 09-28-22, 08:25 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
So it does not answer my question.
There is a question buried somewhere in all your posts? If you want to paint your bike an ugly color, just do it.
Likes For tomato coupe:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.