Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubeless valve stem length?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-20-23, 10:28 AM
aden

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Taking the tubeless plunge. Wheels on order, but as I began to research tubeless valves (and setup in general), I was soon flummoxed by the endless array of valves! Based on reading forum posts, I've (sort of) settled on the Muc-Off ones, but I have no idea what length to order (as I said, I don't have the wheels in hand). I need them for 50mm deep rims and 38mm deep rims. Any guidance would be appreciated. Also, input on whether the Muc-Offs a good choice; and I'm wondering if anyone has tried the unconventional Fillmore valves? Would love some honest evaluation of those puppies (very spendy, but worth it?). Cheers!

Last edited by aden; 03-20-23 at 01:37 PM. Reason: accuracy
Old 03-20-23, 10:48 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Neil of bikepacking.com likes the Fillmore valves. Clearly a better design for the tubeless world, but I'm not convinced it's worth the price. As far as valve length, I'm not sure. I ordered my new wheels with valves installed assuming the wheel builder would install the proper length valves. You might look up the rim manufacturer and see if they recommend valve lengths for the rims you're getting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj31...IKEPACKING.com

edit: for traditional presta valves, I like ones that have a valve core wrench built into the cap. Muc-off valves have that. Plus I like brightly colored valves - just makes things a little easier, a little easier to spot the cap when you drop it in the grass.

Last edited by tyrion; 03-20-23 at 10:52 AM.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 03-20-23, 12:31 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I just installed 80mm Muc-off valves on my 50/56 deep wheelset. 80 should be plenty for 60mm rims, but for the shallower rims definitely drop down to shorter valves as I wouldn't want the 80mm to stick out any further than they do on my 50mm rim.
Old 03-20-23, 06:25 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 179 Posts
I like the Muc-Off valves. They have a larger internal width than others I’ve used, so the tube on my syringe passes completely through it.

As for length, I’m building up some 45 mm deep rims and I thought the 60 mm stems were just a bit short and all clamp-on air hoses might not work. So, I’m going with the next size up which is 80 mm. Longer than I’d like, but not stupid long.
Old 03-21-23, 08:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I'm not certain I'd worry about brand loyalty for a valve. Just get a valve that is the correct length for your rim. If you don't have aero rims, then you probably need the short one.
Old 03-21-23, 09:38 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Get one that works with your pump to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

For me, Peaty's work great. Muc off seems to be incompatible with Silca pump chucks.

Peaty's have the additional merit of matching Chris King anodization color options, and have a spoke wrench and valve core extractor caps that might be useful in an emergency.
Old 03-21-23, 04:07 PM
aden

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of good advice here--both regarding length and brands. Thanks to all for helping out.
Old 03-21-23, 04:09 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4833 Post(s)
Liked 7,825 Times in 3,706 Posts
I'm another fan of Muc-Off valves.