Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dropped chain vs Mavic wheel

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Dropped chain vs Mavic wheel

Old 03-19-23, 02:02 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
[edit: I see that I'm behind the times on this post, but I'll leave it anyway]

Good god, the pissing match.

Larry - as has been batted around within the pissing, there are several reasons for something like this to happen. Only you know if there has been possible damage you know about, but maybe there's damage you aren't even aware of that someone on site could point out to you. I'd suggest that you take it to the shop that did the work, explain honestly and nicely your experience with the shifting all the way back from the first day you got it from them, to the day of the incident and exactly what was going on. See what they say. It could be their fault (poor limit screw adjustment, for example), it could be your fault - a crash, a drop, a bump that you might or might not have noticed. I'm hoping they work with you on the solution and repair, but only having an in person interaction with the shop, not bikeforums, will tell. Regardless learn from the experience - again, whether it's something you did (accidently, maybe even unknown) or something they did. If you/they figure out the reason, you can learn from it for the future. Learn from it even if you don't agree with what they say.

Good luck.
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
took the bike to an expert who thought the limit screw wasn’t adjusted. Took it to the store that did the repair and they took a closer look at claim it was my fault. At that point I didn’t want to argue and just wanted it fixed so I’m paying out of pocket for them to fix it.

kinda of think it’s BS because I was gentle with that bike and don’t see myself bending the derailleur, but I also used the full range of gears extensively so I suppose I would have noticed if it was off by an entire “click.” The bike shop says once they fix the wheel they will see if the shifter was off by an entire click (I don’t know if I’m describing this well sorry) to help determine fault but I think they told me that not expecting to see anything.

kind of skeptical that the test the store is talking about doing would be conclusive to say they adjusted the derailleur, but I don’t know enough about bikes to argue.

This happened on a hill and it took like 25 feet for me to stop, with the rear wheel getting hammered the whole time. Any forensic clues could easily be destroyed during that.

whats done is done, I’m out $$. Guy claims he can relace the wheel and is ordering spokes lol
Based on this, and my recommendation to learn from the experience regardless of what they tell you, please learn from the experience. Adjusting the limit screws and indexing (the "clicks") on the rear derailleur is actually very simple. Very many youtube videos on it, especially the Park Tool ones. Look at them, and check the limit screws and indexing yourself even after they do it. And do it from now on. Again, it's easy and doesn't require any specialized tools. Get yourself a bike repair stand, or if you don't want to spend that money or have a place to put it, try out one of these, they actually work quite well. I take it traveling. It can be used on the ground/floor but works really well on a table top.

FLASHSTANDŽ | Topeak

Last edited by Camilo; 03-19-23 at 02:23 PM.
Likes For Camilo: