Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Opinion on Dodgy Head Tube Cut

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Opinion on Dodgy Head Tube Cut

Old 03-16-23, 07:08 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 2,816 Times in 1,716 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Have you used tools like this much? Have you ever had to cut something out of bike using a workstand? Ever worked as a mechanic? Ever used a Sawzall? Dremel? Ever cut out a seat post? Do any piping or metal fabrication?Yeah, I didn't think so.
I've gone into my shop experience before. How about you? Care to provide details? Years? Shop names?
Old 03-16-23, 07:23 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,456 Times in 949 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I've gone into my shop experience before. How about you? Care to provide details? Years? Shop names?
Spring City Cycle 1990-1995
Turin Bicycles 1991
RRB Cycles 1995-1996
Some other Madison shop 2008
Cronometro 2011-2014 Service Manager
Metier Racing 2019-2022 Service Manager and fitter

Last edited by Kontact; 03-16-23 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-16-23, 07:33 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,343 Posts
IMO, the entire cutting out a headset theory makes no sense, nor does comparing it to seatpost

Seatposts have plenty of surface area for potential binding, compared to the 10-15mm depth of a head cup.

Also sestposts are pulled from the blind side, vs. headsets which are easily pushed from the bottom.

Lastly, this is an aluminum frame, so galvanic corrosion isn't likely, nor does any evidence of it show in the photo.

Of course ANYTHING is possible, and we'll never know.

So why waste so much time on it.

‐‐-----------'

A last thought offered for whatever it may be worth.

In my 50 years working with all sorts of mechanics, in various contexts, I've found that those most boastful of their skills and credentials are usually the ones on the shakiest ground.
Old 03-16-23, 07:53 AM
Kontact

Originally Posted by FBinNY
IMO, the entire cutting out a headset theory makes no sense, nor does comparing it to seatpost

Seatposts have plenty of surface area for potential binding, compared to the 10-15mm depth of a head cup.

Also sestposts are pulled from the blind side, vs. headsets which are easily pushed from the bottom.

Lastly, this is an aluminum frame, so galvanic corrosion isn't likely, nor does any evidence of it show in the photo.

Of course ANYTHING is possible, and we'll never know.

So why waste so much time on it.

‐‐-----------'

A last thought offered for whatever it may be worth.

In my 50 years working with all sorts of mechanics, in various contexts, I've found that those most boastful of their skills and credentials are usually the ones on the shakiest ground.
Someone already pointed out the discoloration that looks cleaned up inside the tube. Why wouldn't an aluminum frame get galvanic corrosion from contact with the steel headset race?

I didn't boast. He asked. But it seems to keep coming up because of the incredibly bonehead discourse offered by 'mechanics' on this subforum. Some of the most ridiculous being:

The competing theory is that Colnago made one and only one aluminum frame with a special off-center slot in the headtube that they painted only the bottom but not the sides.

I don't know what happened for sure. But this looks exactly like what happens when someone tries to cut something with an outside corner that obscures the underlying part and they get tunnel vision on trying to get the cut all the way through. So that's why I mentioned what I think it is.

If anyone has photos of another Colnago made this way, please speak up.
Old 03-16-23, 08:08 AM
smd4

Why wouldn't an aluminum frame get galvanic corrosion from contact with the steel headset race?
You really think someone installed a steel headset on that frame?

SMH.

I wouldn't trust you to put air in my tires.
Old 03-16-23, 08:30 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,343 Posts
......Why wouldn't an aluminum frame get galvanic corrosion from contact with the steel headset race?.....
Because, unlike the raw steel of a seat tube, steel headsets tend to be chrome plated.

Besides, the differences in engaged surfaces, ie 10-15mm vs 60+mm for seatposts and the ease of knocking out from the bottom argue against the likelihood of sawing to remove.

I have no competing theory except that it was either intentional or accidental.

Early on, I offered a fix. That's how I deal with stuff like this. I focus on solving the problem, and leave fanciful theories on who might have done what to others.

Sometimes, I do explore questions of how stuff goes wrong, either out of intellectual curiosity, or if I think there's a benefit in knowing.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-16-23, 08:39 AM
smd4

Besides, the differences in engaged surfaces, ie 10-15mm vs 60+mm for seatposts and the ease of knocking out from the bottom argue against the likelihood of sawing to remove.
Occam's razor can be too sharp for some people...
Old 03-16-23, 09:14 AM
Kontact

Because, unlike the raw steel of a seat tube, steel headsets tend to be chrome plated.

I have no competing theory except that it was either intentional or accidental.

Early on, I offered a fix. That's how I deal with stuff like this. I focus on solving the problem, and leave fanciful theories on who might have done what to others.

Sometimes, I do explore questions of how stuff goes wrong, either out of intellectual curiosity, or if I think there's a benefit in knowing.
Then you dont understand galvanic corrosion. It is preferential corrosion, so it only happens on the aluminum side, forming aluminum oxide. The steel, carbon or Ti does not corrode. So unless you believe chrome is an insulator, the steel is going to be the cathode and the aluminum the anode.

Whoever cut this headtube screwed up. I have no idea how stuck the cup really was and if the mechanic's judgement to cut it was reasonable. I just recognize the kind of tool marks that kind of cut leaves if you don't pay attention.
Old 03-16-23, 09:16 AM
Kontact

Occam's razor can be too sharp for some people...
And some people are not sharp.
Old 03-16-23, 09:40 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 953 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
i think that's too much for an aluminum frame With NO FORK .
Yup. The fact that the original fork is missing = pass for me.
Old 03-18-23, 06:35 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 307 Posts
Who would cut out the headset from directly in front of the top tube? You don’t think that position would be just a little awkward and difficult to do?
Yes, but in the least conspicuous place when the headset is fitted.
Old 03-18-23, 11:24 PM
Kontact

You really think someone installed a steel headset on that frame?

SMH.

I wouldn't trust you to put air in my tires.
I missed this gem.

Oh expert bike mechanic, what is this part made of?

Old 03-19-23, 09:15 AM
smd4

I missed this gem.

Oh expert bike mechanic, what is this part made of?

Um… steel? And your point is?

You have no point. Your theory is mostly preposterous. Your lack of logical thought is striking.

Sounds like you once tried to remove a headset race by cutting it out yourself, inflicted similar damage, and are now trying to justify or rationalize it.

I reiterate: I wouldn’t trust you to do anything mechanical on my bike. Not even removing my valve stem caps.

Don’t you have some ugly saddles to sell?

Last edited by smd4; 03-19-23 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-19-23, 10:28 AM
Kontact

Um… steel? And your point is?

You have no point. Your theory is mostly preposterous. Your lack of logical thought is striking.

Sounds like you once tried to remove a headset race by cutting it out yourself, inflicted similar damage, and are now trying to justify or rationalize it.

I reiterate: I wouldn’t trust you to do anything mechanical on my bike. Not even removing my valve stem caps.

Don’t you have some ugly saddles to sell?
My point is that you claimed that is this part is not going to be made of steel. Which kind of suggests you were never an actual bike mechanic - and should probably be quiet when the grown ups are speaking.
Old 03-19-23, 10:31 AM
smd4

My point is that you claimed that is this part is not going to be made of steel. Which kind of suggests you were never an actual bike mechanic - and should probably be quiet when the grown ups are speaking.
I never claimed that. I suggested that a high quality frame would likely not use a steel headset.

You did damage a frame in that way, didn’t you?

Last edited by smd4; 03-19-23 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-19-23, 10:37 AM
Kontact

You did damage a frame in that way, didn’t you?
Never. But I have supervised many young mechanics that would have if I hadn't stopped them - like yourself. Like you, they thought their limited exposure to some aspects of bike mechanics warranted confidence in their own skills and knowledge. And then they cross thread something, cut a steerer too low, crush a carbon steerer, etc when no one is looking.

Maybe you never got past changing flats and putting jerseys on hangers, so you didn't have the opportunity to destroy anything with your limited "skills". Dunno.
Old 03-19-23, 11:33 AM
smd4

Never. But I have supervised many young mechanics that would have if I hadn't stopped them - like yourself. Like you, they thought their limited exposure to some aspects of bike mechanics warranted confidence in their own skills and knowledge. And then they cross thread something, cut a steerer too low, crush a carbon steerer, etc when no one is looking.

Maybe you never got past changing flats and putting jerseys on hangers, so you didn't have the opportunity to destroy anything with your limited "skills". Dunno.
Aren’t you the same guy who chastised me about character assassination?
Old 03-19-23, 11:54 AM
Kontact

Aren’t you the same guy who chastised me about character assassination?
Yup. And since you persist in doing it, I might as well put you on the receiving end.

The difference between a good mechanic and a bad one is knowing what you don't know. Despite both FBinNY and myself referring to a steel pressed in race, you open your pie hole and inform the world that you KNOW upper headet races are always aluminum. You didn't look it up or think.

I don't use valve caps, but it looks 50/50 that you could remove some for me without stripping them out.
Old 03-19-23, 12:35 PM
smd4

Yup. And since you persist in doing it, I might as well put you on the receiving end.

The difference between a good mechanic and a bad one is knowing what you don't know. Despite both FBinNY and myself referring to a steel pressed in race, you open your pie hole and inform the world that you KNOW upper headet races are always aluminum. You didn't look it up or think.

I don't use valve caps, but it looks 50/50 that you could remove some for me without stripping them out.
You are an angry little man, aren’t you!

You sure like misreading my writing and then misstating it to fit your arguments! Are you trying to get banned from this forum too?
Old 03-19-23, 12:50 PM
Kontact

You are an angry little man, aren’t you!

You sure like misreading my writing and then misstating it to fit your arguments! Are you trying to get banned from this forum too?
I have never misread the personal attacks you constantly engage in. If that's what the mods want to keep, then I'll deal with you like this.

You have two personal attacks just in this post. I'm not angry - you are a symptom, not a person of any importance. But you and your kind make it so much harder for people interested in bicycles to have discussions about bicycles. I don't know why I should tolerate your personal attacks and the way you dumb down something I enjoy.

Do you realize that you have posted 21 times in this thread, 14 of which were attempts to negate something I've said, and the rest to agree with someone else? You contributed nothing at all.

Last edited by Kontact; 03-19-23 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-19-23, 01:51 PM
smd4

you are a symptom, not a person of any importance.
HA! And yet...

Do you realize that you have posted 21 times in this thread, 14 of which were attempts to negate something I've said, and the rest to agree with someone else?
Apparently, I'm important enough for you to go back over a four-page thread and not only count up my posts but analyze their content! Well-done! And my goodness...I hope you don't react this way to everyone who "attempts to negate" something you've said!
Old 03-19-23, 01:57 PM
Kontact

HA! And yet...

Apparently, I'm important enough for you to go back over a four-page thread and not only count up my posts but analyze their content! Well-done! And my goodness...I hope you don't react this way to everyone who "attempts to negate" something you've said!
I don't. You aren't pointing out how I'm wrong about something, you're just whining. I admit when I'm wrong all the time - it's one way I learn new things from other knowledgeable people.

You aren't a knowledgeable person. You are a troll. Pointing out how you're a troll might help inoculate this subforum against your type of behavior and make people like you shut up more. No one is coming to your defense.