Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-22, 07:05 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
30+ miles of sweating, sweltering path riding around a few of the local lakes. Even in the shade it was uncomfortable.
And then we get this:
Old 08-11-22, 10:20 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 758 Posts
Nice here in the Third Coast today. Took out my Frejus Tour de France for the first time in a long while. Stopped briefly at an Evanston movie landmark. There isn't much in the way of a clue in the pic. Can you guess what it is?

Old 08-11-22, 11:42 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Nice here in the Third Coast today. Took out my Frejus Tour de France for the first time in a long while. Stopped briefly at an Evanston movie landmark. There isn't much in the way of a clue in the pic. Can you guess what it is?

Local-ish to me. Answering would be like stealing candy from a baby.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 08-11-22, 12:00 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 646 Posts

Last edited by Roger M; 08-11-22 at 12:16 PM.
Likes For Roger M:
Old 08-11-22, 12:23 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
Bingo! Thanks thinktubes for giving others a shot.
Old 08-11-22, 02:56 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 977 Posts
Mrs. ascherer and I spent 4 days in the Boston area where temperatures were in the mid to upper 90s. By Wednesday morning we were packed to go but the heat had subsided so we squeezed in some of the Bruce Freeman Trail out of Concord. No pics of that but here’s Tuesday by the water.

Today I rode the full 31.5 mile loop around the Ashokan, about 2/3 paved and the rest compacted gravel trail. Quite beautiful as always.

A little more than halfway through I became aware that my bottom bracket was loosening. I made many stops along the way home to hand tighten it. It’ll go on the stand soon.
Old 08-11-22, 03:55 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Bingo! Thanks thinktubes for giving others a shot.
I go past it almost every ride on my cool-down route. Tricky question because it looks much different than in the movie. Riding on the North Shore is like being in a John Hughes movie.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 08-11-22, 04:30 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Took yesterday off, then got out for a couple hours today, even getting a short bit of gravel riding in around the Deem Hills Recreation Area. Got some nice pics, too. Alas, a woman clipped me with her mirror as she passed me in the local supermarket parking lot (!) and I went down - not even a mile from home. Cut left elbow, sore groin muscle, ripped jersey - and my phone's now on the fritz (hence the lack of pics). Jeebus, this has been an interesting week!

Hopefully there's no truth to the "bad things come in threes", and my next ride doesn't end up being my last

I'll be replacing this phone (battery usage was already dictating a new one soon) in the next couple days; perhaps I'll be able to retrieve my photos and share them from the new phone..

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 08-11-22 at 07:09 PM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-11-22, 06:47 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Took yesterday off, then got out for a couple hours today, even getting a short bit of gravel riding in around the Deem Hills Recreation Area. Got some nice pics, too. Alas, a woman clipped me with her mirror as she passed me in the local supermarket parking lot (!) and I went down - not even a mile from home. Cut left elbow, sore groin muscle, ripped jersey - and my phone's now on the fritz (hence the lack of pics). Jeebus, this has been an interesting week!

Hopefully there's no truth to the "bad things come in threes", and my next ride doesn't end up being my last )

I'll be replacing this phone (battery usage was already dictating a new one soon) in the next couple days; perhaps I'll be able to retrieve my photos and share them from the new phone..

DD
All that bad luck, I wouldn't waste my time buying lottery tickets...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 08-11-22, 07:03 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
Hawaiian shirt day. New blacktop and bike lanes. Shot from the Kaiser shipyards.

Old 08-11-22, 08:20 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 190 Posts
A local group puts on a ride around the city every Thursday and its a sort of "unracer" ride that welcomes all ages, riding styles, and fitness levels, which suits me just fine. It's a great way to meet up with like minded folks. Lots of interesting bikes, too. The organizer picks a neighbourhood to explore and we usually end up at an ice cream joint, taco truck, or pub after the ride. Last week they had about 50 folks show up, which is nearly a critical mass ride for Ottawa!

Spot the Competition:

Ottawa group
Old 08-12-22, 09:37 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
!

Originally Posted by johnnyace
One incident that wasn't recounted on the Summer Tour of the Willamette Valley, was the road rager on Day 2 (Saturday morning), on River Road South, headed out of Salem. A driver in a Lexus (SUV? crossover?) was honking and irate at the rear group, but finally passed them. When he got up to Bob Freeman and I up at the front, he continued with the honking and such, with Bob yelling some choice words at him. At this point the man braked hard, rolled down his passenger side window, and as Bob passed him and I came by the window, he yelled "Get off the damn road! Next time I will run you down!" And then he sped off indignantly. I've never had an incident like this happen to me in 35 years of riding in and around the Salem area.

Later, when recounting this incident with gugie, I mentioned that I am a concealed carry holder in Oregon. For obvious reasons of weight and also being a peaceful individual, I don't choose to carry firearms while riding. But sometimes I wonder...
Belly band holster, G43 or G48…you won’t forget it’s there, but, not uncomfortable…last resort if possible…keep it on your person in case you separated from you bicycle…it doesn’t hurt to carry legally.
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 08-12-22, 10:07 AM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1
Belly band holster, G43 or G48…you won’t forget it’s there, but, not uncomfortable…last resort if possible…keep it on your person in case you separated from you bicycle…it doesn’t hurt to carry legally.
Right, the Good Guy with a Gun approach to bicycle touring, or Loaded Touring, as it were. The idea that any but a tiny percentage of weapons-trained cyclists should be carrying a gun in an a high adrenaline encounter with a motorist is ludicrous. But hey, it's an ultra-violent world, so you might as well carry a gun on a bike ride.
Old 08-12-22, 10:49 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Lets bring this thread back to riding bikes again.... Starting on Mercer Island, I rode over to Vashon Island to visit with my big brother yesterday.

On the way down to the Seattle Waterfront, down Post Alley….

Visit my Big Bro by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The famous “Gum Wall” was choked with tourists. I had to walk through the melee

I follow the waterfront around Alki Point and through Lincoln Park.

On the Ferry, Vashon Island ahead.

Vashon is a great place to explore by bike. It’s quite hilly. One of my favorite roads is Burma Road on the North end of the Island. During normal times, I liken it to the closest thing to bungy jumping on a bike. Usually I bomb down this road as it falls steeply through some ravines to catch enough speed to carry me up the equally steep walls on the other side but this was not the case today

My brother had told me it was damaged this past winter and closed to thru traffic. I had to go check it out. Going past the road closed signs I descended carefully not knowing what to expect. Here’s the worst of the damage.

Looking North from KVI Beach.

My Big Bro

Unfortunately, because I got a late morning start, the time to visit is short as I had to catch the ferry back to West Seattle and ride back to the car I had left on Mercer Island. The early evening light casting shadows on the skyscrapers downtown on the return.

Old 08-12-22, 12:32 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Garden of the Gods

Near the Manitou turnaround.

In the park.

Did three loops. Nice bike lane and one-way routes.

Old 08-12-22, 01:15 PM
rccardr 

Pretty sure I've seen that Master Light Art Decor before...
Old 08-12-22, 01:17 PM
rccardr 

Morning gravel ride with friends out in The Plains, VA. Couple storms the last few days broke down the humidity and temperature, also kept the dust down on the dirt-ish bits:

MMMMmmmm...friction shifted gravel bike!
Old 08-12-22, 02:00 PM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboobike4
Near the Manitou turnaround.
In the park.
Did three loops. Nice bike lane and one-way routes.
So glad you posted this. Been meaning to make it down there for a ride around GoG, now I have extra motivation to do it! Looks as amazing as I could imagine it being.
Old 08-12-22, 02:29 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
!

Originally Posted by JacobLee
Right, the Good Guy with a Gun approach to bicycle touring, or Loaded Touring, as it were. The idea that any but a tiny percentage of weapons-trained cyclists should be carrying a gun in an a high adrenaline encounter with a motorist is ludicrous. But hey, it's an ultra-violent world, so you might as well carry a gun on a bike ride.
Other situations were recounted. Concealed carry was brought up. The trio of hot heads on motorcycles in DD’s story we’re in hot pursuit! Had he fallen it would not have turned out well for him!
Other stories about being challenged in remote locations…
I said, “last resort”…if given that opportunity…”good guys with a gun” stop a lot more horrors than are reported!
It’s better to be prepared than not…the weight of the gun reminds you that it’s there if you need it!
You are told in gun classes to go the other way if there’s trouble, if you can…you are not a cop!
Be aware of your surroundings and don’t go to places that you know are troublesome…
I used to have trouble riding on the Cape Cod Canal…the world is changing my friends…be safe, be prepared!
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 08-12-22, 03:04 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Nice easy ride over to town to do some stuff at the library. Took Hardrock which is now 35 years old but even thousands of rough miles still rides good.

Old 08-12-22, 08:55 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
If you're in Seattle and haven't bombed down NE Perkins Way from 10th Ave (North City Park) ...

Fun climb, too.

This stream runs alongside. And these folks are sooo lucky to have the sound in their backyard. <jealous>​​​​​​

​​​​​​
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-12-22, 11:04 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

I swear I began to wonder if the officer recognized one of his kids from my vague description of the MCs and their riders' garb.
. Hindsight is 20/20, but that would have been a great comment at the time, but likely not appreciated.

I'm generally a solo rider, though I do on occasion enjoy group rides, too. Sometimes I think this is a disadvantage, particularly in situations like this. But this was a first, I mean I've never had anyone actively attempt to run me down or off the road.

DD
Pretty crappy that happened to you. Cretins like that only understand greater violence. A sure way to get the officers to respond is to say, “sorry to bother you; I guess I’ll get some help and handle it myself.” You will definitely get a lecture, but they’ll get the message.

Over a month ago, a guy in a car passed us going the other way, yelling obscenities at our group. Sometimes, enough is enough. I stopped, he stopped. I said, “ let’s go,” and he actually said “My transmission is bad, I can’t back up. “. I said “I’ll come to you, I have a bike.” I ride back to the group, we went on, silently. As we passed a Dollar Store, an EMS crew came out, hit the lights, and took off.

About a mile later, one guy said, “No sheriff yet.”

“Nope, probably wasn’t him.”

Yesterday, a riding friend, irrepressible spirit chick, on her ride, was attacked by two loose vicious dogs. Their remaining days are in the single digits.

Sometimes, people are like dogs.

Last edited by bamboobike4; 08-12-22 at 11:08 PM.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 08-12-22, 11:12 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by AJI125
So glad you posted this. Been meaning to make it down there for a ride around GoG, now I have extra motivation to do it! Looks as amazing as I could imagine it being.
Great vibe in Manitou Springs, Buffalo Lodge Bike Resort is very laid back, about 2/3 mile from the back gate.

I could ride the Garden over and over, watch the deer, tourists falling off of rocks, great ice cream at the Trading Post.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 08-13-22, 11:59 AM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
Did the Seattle/Bellevue/520/I-90 loop (25-30mi) on my 83 Superior. I don’t think I’ve ever given a ride report on this bike but it is fantastic. Feels smooth, comfortable, and fast. I need to put some wider bars on it but once I do my other bikes will have difficulty getting any road time.​​​​​​​

Old 08-13-22, 12:49 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
Vashon is a great place to explore by bike. It’s quite hilly. One of my favorite roads is Burma Road on the North end of the Island. During normal times, I liken it to the closest thing to bungy jumping on a bike. Usually I bomb down this road as it falls steeply through some ravines to catch enough speed to carry me up the equally steep walls on the other side but this was not the case today. My brother had told me it was damaged this past winter and closed to thru traffic. I had to go check it out.
You so crazy! I took that road last summer and wrote about it in your old Vashon thread: "dark, tight, windy, and crumbling." A little too much for my vintage road bike and 25mm tires. ​​​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.