Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 08-21-22, 11:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Last week I took my first outdoor ride on the Ironman since late 2021. Just an hour and 17 miles, about all my aching neck can tolerate for now.

Lingering vertigo from a bout with COVID last autumn kept me off the bike outdoors, although I did some indoor trainer sessions and continued to jog and walk a lot outdoors to stay fit. I'm a little off my maximum pace for short distances on the bike, and far from being able to handle a continuous 2-3 hour ride, let alone a century. But I'm pleased that jogging and walking have kept my legs and lungs reasonably fit.

Took almost a year but I finally feel pretty much recovered from the Super Cooties. The vax kept me from being hospitalized, but it was still pretty miserable for months with flu-like symptoms. I think half my diet the past year has consisted of ibuprofen, aspirin, decongestants and expectorants, and inhalers.

I was on the verge of replacing the downtube shifters on the Ironman with brifters, but every time I ride that bike with the crisp-shifting old Suntour GPX setup, I remember how much I like it just the way it is.
Old 08-22-22, 02:02 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Last week I took my first outdoor ride on the Ironman since late 2021. Just an hour and 17 miles, about all my aching neck can tolerate for now.

Lingering vertigo from a bout with COVID last autumn kept me off the bike outdoors, although I did some indoor trainer sessions and continued to jog and walk a lot outdoors to stay fit. I'm a little off my maximum pace for short distances on the bike, and far from being able to handle a continuous 2-3 hour ride, let alone a century. But I'm pleased that jogging and walking have kept my legs and lungs reasonably fit.

Took almost a year but I finally feel pretty much recovered from the Super Cooties. The vax kept me from being hospitalized, but it was still pretty miserable for months with flu-like symptoms. I think half my diet the past year has consisted of ibuprofen, aspirin, decongestants and expectorants, and inhalers.

I was on the verge of replacing the downtube shifters on the Ironman with brifters, but every time I ride that bike with the crisp-shifting old Suntour GPX setup, I remember how much I like it just the way it is.
Dang It! It hits some worse than others but so glad to hear from you and glad you're on the mend.
Im not on here as much as I used to but you were conspicuous in your absence. I'm thinking now that I'll be working out and riding again I'll be on here more often.
Glad to hear from you though.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 08-23-22, 12:28 PM
texaspandj

I started my pre training to pre season today. In other words I'm trying to get in shape enough to start training in January.
I ran 3 Miles at a pedestrian pace that I could maintain the whole way. I can ride 20 miles easily enough so I figured I could run 3 Miles. I was trying to keep my heart rate down. I read that at my age it should be at 125 for aerobic Base. I think I stand up at that, actually my resting heart rate is 68. I don't use a Heart rate monitor but really considered it this time around. But I probably just do the ole usual of slow base running.
I'll be riding every weekend on one of my Ironman. Actually only my '85 O.G. is out of commission. The plastic cable stops I Dremeled to fit the odd bosses shifted. So I gotta get me a new set of cable stops.
So this weekend wil be this.
This my favorite Ironman ('86 Classic 6 speed). I need update pic as it's now sporting a dura ace cramkset.. to go with the Dura Ace bb,hs, rd,fd, and hubs. Original gripshift shifters. Brakeset is Shimano 600.

Last edited by texaspandj; 08-23-22 at 03:09 PM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 08-23-22, 06:34 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Da small world…..

So, I’m sitting on the side of a mountain, talking to a guy who is there to go 4-wheeling and camping.
He cycles, and we talk a bit.

I mention that I like to do neo-retro, he grins, says “I moved my Centurion Lemans RS to 9-speed Ultegra.” Well, it was on, then. I whip out the iPad.

He’s kindred.

The deck rails in the lower part of the pic were temporarily occupied by bears a couple of nights ago. They were after the bird feeders, which we forgot to bring in while watching a movie.

Pike’s Peak is at the right, trying to hide behind the tree. It’s 65 miles away, straight line distance.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 08-24-22, 05:48 PM
texaspandj

^^^Beautiful views.
Old 08-24-22, 06:00 PM
texaspandj

Posting this pic for posterity's sake.
Last weekend at a music venue, Me with two of my grandsons. I'm 188 lbs! Meanwhile I was about the same weight as my grandson when I was a freshman like he is this Year.I'm determined to lose some Baby fat...so I can ride My Ironman FASTER.

​​​​​
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 08-24-22, 07:15 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
^^^^^ Winner of the "two coolest t-shirts of this thread" award.
Old 08-24-22, 07:38 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts
Old 08-25-22, 06:03 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298

Hot!
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-25-22, 06:06 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Last weekend at a music venue, Me with two of my grandsons. I'm 188 lbs! Meanwhile I was about the same weight as my grandson when I was a freshman like he is this Year.I'm determined to lose some Baby fat...so I can ride My Ironman FASTER.

​​​​​
Good looking family! The older one looks about the right size to be riding Grandpa's bikes.

Last edited by seypat; 08-25-22 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-26-22, 08:49 PM
seypat

Happy to report that the MV IM will be getting some Microshift brifters.

In other news, the orphan sock was found, then tossed into the trash. It will never be seen again.
Old 08-26-22, 10:01 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
Nice bike...One of the colors that I have been looking to add to the rest......the grass even matches!
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 09-08-22, 04:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I started my pre training to pre season today. In other words I'm trying to get in shape enough to start training in January.
I ran 3 Miles at a pedestrian pace that I could maintain the whole way. I can ride 20 miles easily enough so I figured I could run 3 Miles. I was trying to keep my heart rate down. I read that at my age it should be at 125 for aerobic Base. I think I stand up at that, actually my resting heart rate is 68. I don't use a Heart rate monitor but really considered it this time around. But I probably just do the ole usual of slow base running.
For now, you're not really missing anything if you don't have a Wahoo Tickr or something comparable. Training by heart rate may give us that additional 5% edge when we're already in nearly top condition. But for me, the feels-like gauge works well enough.

Reminds me, another lingering side effect of COVID was the effect on my heart rate. My resting heart rate before COVID was around 58-60 bpm, unless I took meds like Sudafed or drank coffee, both of which increase my HR a bit. After COVID my resting HR was in the low 70s.

But the most worrying change was how my heart rate would spike to 130 bpm just walking out the door to run, jog or just take a long walk. It was bizarre and made it difficult to train by heart rate. My maximum heart rate remained the same as a few years ago when I tested it methodically, 173 bpm. My Zone 4 range stayed the same, and I was still able to sustain around a 160 bpm effort for 20 minutes or longer.

But it was impossible to use HR data to estimate a Zone 1-3 workout, because it never dipped below 130 bpm even with low effort. So I just went by how it felt.

I've started taking a beta blocker -- carvedilol -- that seems to have fewer side effects than the others I've tried before. In the past 20 years I've tried metoprolol and propranolol, mostly for treating migraines, both of which wiped out my energy and I never could adapt to using them long term. But metoprolol is still my go-to for occasional migraines. I'm hoping the daily carvedilol will also be effective at preventing migraines. My blood pressure isn't particularly high, usually 120-70. But if the carvedilol keeps my heart rate more or less normal, I can resume training according to heart rate.

Meanwhile, I mostly just train according to how I feel. Monday I intended to just take a 5 mile walk, but felt good enough after a brief warmup to do running intervals. So my plans and "feels like" gauge don't usually cooperate.

Last weekend at a music venue, Me with two of my grandsons. I'm 188 lbs! Meanwhile I was about the same weight as my grandson when I was a freshman like he is this Year.I'm determined to lose some Baby fat...so I can ride My Ironman FASTER.​​​​​
Hey, I saw the notice for the family band on Facebook. Wish I could have attended but I've been battling occasional apartment floods since mid-August. One of these days I want to see y'all at a gig. Love the YouTube videos of those previous gigs. You're always humble about the family band, but y'all are among the best blues bands I've seen anywhere, and that includes lots of trips to Chicago in the 1980s-'90s.
Old 09-18-22, 06:30 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
PSA , not mine . Friendly price , looks good . Out in sticks vill .
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...534341711.html
Likes For markwesti:
Old 09-18-22, 10:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Best paint of em all.
Old 10-02-22, 06:41 PM
texaspandj

^^^ Cool color scheme. That's a aqua/smoke color combo.
My favorite Ironman color scheme is similar. It's cobalt blue/marble color combo.

Summertime Blues color way.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 10-02-22, 10:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Best paint of em all.
Old 10-09-22, 02:24 PM
attylah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 116 Posts
A perfect Oregon Fall day to take Don Johnson out for a ride

Likes For attylah:
Old 10-09-22, 08:45 PM
jim dandy

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Best paint of em all.
Yup!!!!
JD
Likes For jim dandy:
Old 10-10-22, 09:45 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked 3,503 Times in 1,395 Posts
I love love love these bikes, and I've never even ridden one.

I picked up a 'Miami Vice' '87 Ironman Expert from a co-op a few years back. Little did I know that the seatpost was stuck. Tried all sorts of things, but felt like if I kept going on, I'd start to do damage, so I went nuclear and gave the seatpost the lye treatment. It jacked up the paint and so it got stripped away.

Hindsight being 20-20, I really wish I would have done a better just to protect the paint - I probably could have easily done so, but it was my first time using lye and what is done is done. I keep telling myself the paint was in horrible shape (it wasn't), but my redeeming grace is that once I get the bike built up how I want, I will take it in for a powdercoat and do a tribute finish in the hot pink and yellow scheme, only using a high quality metalflake powder.

Here it is in its current state. Please ignore the fugly stem. It will get a much more svelte one. I'm breaking plenty of C&V rules with this one...original paint, gone. Unicrown, check. Threadless headset and stem, check. Single chainring, check. But I know it will be an awesome rider. Built up w/ modern wheels, and various Dura Ace components. Really looking forward to its final state.

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 10-11-22, 02:23 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
I love love love these bikes, and I've never even ridden one.

I picked up a 'Miami Vice' '87 Ironman Expert from a co-op a few years back. Little did I know that the seatpost was stuck. Tried all sorts of things, but felt like if I kept going on, I'd start to do damage, so I went nuclear and gave the seatpost the lye treatment. It jacked up the paint and so it got stripped away.

Hindsight being 20-20, I really wish I would have done a better just to protect the paint - I probably could have easily done so, but it was my first time using lye and what is done is done. I keep telling myself the paint was in horrible shape (it wasn't), but my redeeming grace is that once I get the bike built up how I want, I will take it in for a powdercoat and do a tribute finish in the hot pink and yellow scheme, only using a high quality metalflake powder.

Here it is in its current state. Please ignore the fugly stem. It will get a much more svelte one. I'm breaking plenty of C&V rules with this one...original paint, gone. Unicrown, check. Threadless headset and stem, check. Single chainring, check. But I know it will be an awesome rider. Built up w/ modern wheels, and various Dura Ace components. Really looking forward to its final state.

An Ironman is still an Ironman and therefore will be a great ride.
Looking forward to it's completion.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 10-11-22, 03:51 AM
texaspandj

I've been meaning to post on here for the last few weeks just wasn't looking forward to using my phone to do it. Hopefully I'll get the laptop going since my tablet is out.
My initial plan to run into shape for the 2023 triathlon season... failed. I was gonna run M-F 3 Miles in Sept, 4 miles in Oct, 5 miles in Nov, 6 miles in Dec. HOWEVER, I actually started running mid Aug. The first week I ran 4 days and was stretching every day. The second week 3 days, third week 3 days then Stopped! My left knee injury resurfaced. Also My legs were so sore from inactivity I thought they'd break. The funny thing is I reinjured my knee through stretching. I was doing a different stretching routine that I picked up from 6 time world triathlon champion Mark Allen. Should have stuck with Dave Scott.
I was so frustrated and started to do occasional rides on the river walk with my friend Mike. Also weekend 20 mile rides with my biking buddy Mino.
Mino was gonna do a organized 50 mile ride at the end of Sept and asked me to do it with him. I thought that would be fun and challenging since I haven't ridden much. The week of the event he decided to do the 28 mile ride instead. I couldn't blame him or chide him for it since He's gained almost 20 pounds since he's finished school, had twin girls, and started a new career...and of course not much riding. Welcome to father Hood 🤣.
The ride. Turned out the MTB gang (made up of mostly young heavy guys on brand new bikes) were meeting us at the ride start. Usually when I would ride with those guys on the trails, they would be on the latest, lightest MTBs. Meanwhile I'd be on my vintage diamond back. Although I had the aerobic capacity to stay with the leaders I didnt have the technical skills and definitely didn't know the routes. So out of about a dozen riders I'd be in third or fourth position behind Mino on the trails. I'd imagine they were thinking how is this old guy keeping up? I'd be thinking if I knew the trails I'd drop all of y'all. Anyways, back to the ride. I told Mino I'm gonna drop all these guys on this short Ride and you stay right behind me...he liked that idea. We're all at the 15mph start with the other 100, 62, 50, 25, 10 mile riders. We take off slowly and stay together. One of the MTB guys didn't or couldn't clip in and fell. So we all stopped. Regrouped and took off again. Immediately the young heavy guy who always leads the MTB group takes off! I'm not about to let him get away, I'm supposed to drop him! I'm thinking Mino is on my wheel as we quickly weave through all the riders. To be clear, inspite of all their new road bikes and gear, they're relative newbies to the road. Anyhoo, this guy is moving. He's big too, I feel like a running back while he's blocking in front of me. Finally about 5 miles into ride it gets less congested and riders are starting to match our speed. Behind me is no Mino. No matter, I'm dropping this guy once it's even less congested. About this time, Mino shows up and says he's stuck in the big ring. I said shift your rear derailleur, he responds I did. I said keep doing it and finally it changes.
Now our plan is in affect. He's on my wheel an I'm on big guys wheel. Finally it's time, I shift and pass big guy, Mino stays on my wheel. We drop big guy! That'll show him, big guy who had no idea or care that he was my target 😂.
Two veteran riders pass me and Mino and I jump on their wheel, they're going at a pace I feel I can maintain for about an hour. We're moving, eventually they signal me to pull so I oblige and Mino is still on my wheel. Finally it's Mino turn to pull. Now Mino has the nicest pedal stroke with high rpms and can accelerate so smoothly also usually can could hold a pace til the cows come home. HOWEVER!, He's excited, out of shape, and not used to riding within a group and immediately does what most newbies do when it's there time to pull... Increase the Speed. Within seconds instead of dropping back I have to stay up with Mino and he drops both excellent riders and put me in oxygen debt, my legs are burning. About this time the two guys turned off onto the longer routes. We have about 15 miles to go and it takes almost the whole rest of the ride to recover from Mino stunt.
Believe it or not, that short Ride was challenging for us, mostly due to our lack of fitness but most importantly it was fun. And it reminded me that although I still believe running is the best exercise physiologically speaking, individually the best exercise is the one you're most prone to doing.
Which brings me finally to the point and end if this looooong Post. I'm now riding my Ironman M-F 17 or 18 miles til further notice.
Keep the rubber side down Ironkids.

Last edited by texaspandj; 10-11-22 at 04:03 AM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 10-11-22, 11:08 AM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
^^^ What IM ? Pic please .
Old 10-12-22, 03:38 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by markwesti
^^^ What IM ? Pic please .
One of these.

Scattered '85,'86,'87,'88,and '89.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 10-15-22, 06:36 PM
Cankles

Bikes: Motobecane Gran Premio 22sp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Hey all. Got a few hundred miles on my 42x11-28 1x7. It’s great really. But I’m dropping chains every now and then. Gonna go for a narrow wide. Smallest I can get for my 130bcd is 46t. I have a 10sp hub wheel that I’m gonna install also with a 10sp 11-36 cassette. Interestingly the 10 sp 11-36 contains exactly the original teeth count of the 13-24 just adding 11t and 28,32,36. 46t gives a little more on the top end vs 42/11 which didn’t quite match 52/13 and gives a good bit more on the climbing side. Will continue shifting with friction on the downtube. Wish me luck. Ill post a photo when it’s all out together.
Likes For Cankles:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.