Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pick up your trash!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pick up your trash!

Old 08-24-22, 01:20 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
I think the OP's observations have more to do with her locale than with cyclists in general.

In the several places I've lived and cycled extensively (four different states), I've never seen a single CO2 canister or inner tube on the roadside.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-24-22, 01:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
yah...old tubes and co2 cartridges seem to be the worst offenders but the instant energy/powerbar wrappers appear more often than i'd like. c'mon people. pack it out, pack it away responsibly.
I've seen too many of those on the road. I make it a habit to stuff my used food wrappers in the one pocket I won't generally take anything out of till I get home - the one that holds my cleat covers. This is after getting home one time to discover that the wrapper I'd stuffed back in the pocket where I put my food was not there, and had probably fallen out when I grabbed the other package later in the ride.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-24-22, 01:37 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
The local MUP in my area is pretty busy on weekends, with a fair number of weekday riders, but I still don't see any cartridges or used tubes while riding it. As for regular trash on the same MUP the most common item is plastic water bottles and blue dog poop bags (at least they're not directly on the trail!). I'm curious so I'll have to check the trash cans along the trail to see what's in those; they're along the trail at most of the entry/exit points.

The regular roadways are a little different - no cartridges or tubes, but plenty of beer cans, water bottles, broken bits of glass, and regular paper/plastic/metallic trash, plus the occasional nut/bolt/screw/nail and other random pieces of building/construction debris.

Last edited by skidder; 08-24-22 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-24-22, 01:47 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,578 Times in 2,895 Posts
I go by the backpackers mantra, “pack it and pack it out”.

on some of my local dog walks I take a plastic bag and pick up litter as a community service. No one appreciates litter.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-24-22, 02:12 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Ray of Sunshine Department:
The bike/ATV/snow machine trails around here (Vermont and New Hampshire) are pristine. Where they go through a small town, there are often little nests of empty beer cans, but otherwise, nothing but footprints and tire tracks.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 08-24-22, 04:15 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked 1,869 Times in 840 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Ray of Sunshine Department:
The bike/ATV/snow machine trails around here (Vermont and New Hampshire) are pristine. Where they go through a small town, there are often little nests of empty beer cans, but otherwise, nothing but footprints and tire tracks.
I have found most power sport people especially jeepers are some of the best stewards of the land, because they now they are under scrutiny and they don't want to be locked out.
Old 08-24-22, 08:54 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Gun talk is not permitted in these forums. Too controversial. Thanks!
Likes For BillyD:
Old 08-24-22, 09:05 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Riders around here are pretty good. I see GU or similar wrapper from time to time, but can't recall seeing an inner tube.
Old 08-24-22, 11:03 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
It always amuses me when the cost of one’s bike and choice of cycling attire is commented on. But it aligns nicely with the revelation that you use Presta caps. No self-respecting $1000 bike riding, Lycra and cycling Jersey wearing cyclist would be found dead using Presta caps!!! Is there a scoffing emoji?
Just to be facetious, I bought presta caps in bulk. Then I went to a mountain pass where riders are famous for resting , snacking and tossing their trash. When they did, I would run up and screw a cap on their valves telling them, this is karma
Old 08-25-22, 04:16 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,023 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Just to be facetious, I bought presta caps in bulk. Then I went to a mountain pass where riders are famous for resting , snacking and tossing their trash. When they did, I would run up and screw a cap on their valves telling them, this is karma
Isn’t that a hate crime?
Old 08-25-22, 04:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
since my Dad passed end of July I've been spending more time at Mom's house. a few weeks ago, in the backyard, near the side street, under one of the big trees, I found a tied up bag of empty beer cans & an empty condom wrapper. WTF!?!
Old 08-25-22, 01:26 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
First off, I seriously doubt I'm talking to anybody here. On the off chance I am, then fix yourself. If you know somebody who does this, then I suggest you invite them to find new friends.

I cannot believe how often I ride even around my small town and see old tubes and used CO2 cartridges disposed of on the side of the road. My thinking is that if you were able to carry the good stuff with you to fix a flat, you can damn sure carry the junk stuff home. What is this about? As a community, we need to police those who are irresponsible cyclists.

Like I said, I don't *think* I'm talking to most of the people here. But it sure seems like there are far too many cyclists that want to treat the shoulder of the road as a trash bin.
littering is so annoying. but i'm not sure i've ever seen bike related litter, at least not in the last 10,000 miles that i remember. definitely seen lots of stuff tossed out of cars, cigs, the usual windblown paper and detritus.

i have seen a cartridge once or twice, but in a location that led me to assume it was from whippit use, not a cyclist fixing a flat.
Old 08-26-22, 02:41 AM
Timothyevans

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
since my Dad passed end of July I've been spending more time at Mom's house. a few weeks ago, in the backyard, near the side street, under one of the big trees, I found a tied up bag of empty beer cans & an empty condom wrapper. WTF!?!
I understand you so well.
Old 08-26-22, 04:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Sounds like a good night for someone.

The first time I rode the GAP I entered one of the lean-tos at the park in Connellsville. Not only was there a empty condom wrapper, the used condom had been left behind. I chose to sleep in the other shelter.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-26-22 at 05:59 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-26-22, 05:52 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 359 Posts
Can’t say I’ve seen old tubes on the side of the road, but definitely plenty of co2 canisters. I doubt they’re left by cyclists though.
Old 08-26-22, 09:49 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by jadmt
I have found most power sport people especially jeepers are some of the best stewards of the land, because they now they are under scrutiny and they don't want to be locked out.
I gave up vintage sports car racing because of its impact on the environment. When one gets 8-10 MPG and all that is going out the exhaust, tires being quickly disintegrated and brake dust, it is not environmentally friendly. But at least I was doing it on asphalt and not disrupting flora and fauna while creating noise pollution. I believe the best stewards of the land are day hikers and backpackers. They revere nature for what it is, not conquering it, leave zero trace and leave next to no impact, just boot prints. I get you want to preserve your, or your friends pass time but calling them ‘stewards’ is a bridge too far.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-26-22, 09:59 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I was always taught to pick up after myself, no matter what the situation. As bicyclists I think we get a closer look at the side of the road than most people. It's a shame that someone feels they need to leave a spent tube or anything else for that matter at the side of the road.
Old 08-26-22, 10:04 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I was out walking my dog in a nearby park/open space, and along the trail I saw FIVE separate bags of poop that people had picked up, then tied up the bag and just left it. MAYBE they were going to be returning down the same trail, and planned to pick it up on the way back, but how the hell would anyone know? And who does that anyway? I think it may actually be worse than just leaving the poop in the grass, though since we go 8 months with no rain, a lot of it builds up to be washed down the hills into the creek with the first big storm in the Fall.

Old 08-26-22, 10:05 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I believe the best stewards of the land are day hikers and backpackers.
A lot of these environmentally friendly hikers and backpackers also have a very militant stance against mountain bikers. They hate mountain biking because they believe that mountain biking is bad for the land. Their obsession with protecting nature is borderline mental illness.
Old 08-26-22, 10:12 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by genejockey
I was out walking my dog in a nearby park/open space, and along the trail I saw FIVE separate bags of poop that people had picked up, then tied up the bag and just left it. MAYBE they were going to be returning down the same trail, and planned to pick it up on the way back, but how the hell would anyone know? And who does that anyway? I think it may actually be worse than just leaving the poop in the grass, though since we go 8 months with no rain, a lot of it builds up to be washed down the hills into the creek with the first big storm in the Fall.
I am a dog owner who studied Bio Sci and Enviro Sci. Dog poop is full of unhealthy germs and the last place you want it washed into are lakes and streams or worse yet, the water table. I bag my dog’s waste, drop it on the way out and pick it up and properly dispose of it. So now you know who one of those people are…concerned for the environment.

Old 08-26-22, 10:26 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I am a dog owner who studied Bio Sci and Enviro Sci. Dog poop is full of unhealthy germs and the last place you want it washed into are lakes and streams or worse yet, the water table. I bag my dog’s waste, drop it on the way out and pick it up and properly dispose of it. So now you know who one of those people are…concerned for the environment.
Okay, so that's ONE. Would you like to guarantee that everyone else who leaves a bag by the trail is coming back to pick it up? Also, and let me be frank here - do you think I want to see a string of dog poop bags by the trail because you don't want to carry it with you?

Old 08-26-22, 01:16 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked 1,869 Times in 840 Posts
many don't pick it back up. I have watched people leave it and the next day it is still there. Face it a lot of people are just lazy.
Old 08-26-22, 02:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Okay, so that's ONE. Would you like to guarantee that everyone else who leaves a bag by the trail is coming back to pick it up?
I always walk my dog in a loop around our neighborhood. If she drops a deuce on the first half of the loop, I bag it and drop it, then pick it up on my way back. Saves me the trouble of carrying a bag of dog **** for several blocks. More broadly, think about it: if people weren't going to ultimately dispose of those bags properly, why would they have bagged it in the first place?

​​​​​​
Also, and let me be frank here - do you think I want to see a string of dog poop bags by the trail because you don't want to carry it with you?
As long as we're being frank: are your sensibilities really offended by a little sealed blue bag? That seems a bit delicate.
Old 08-26-22, 02:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Koyote
I always walk my dog in a loop around our neighborhood. If she drops a deuce on the first half of the loop, I bag it and drop it, then pick it up on my way back. Saves me the trouble of carrying a bag of dog **** for several blocks. More broadly, think about it: if people weren't going to ultimately dispose of those bags properly, why would they have bagged it in the first place?
See jadmt's post, immediately above yours.

​​​​​​
As long as we're being frank: are your sensibilities really offended by a little sealed blue bag? That seems a bit delicate.
Are you really so delicate that you can't carry the bag with you? I mean, my dog is an 80lb Greyhound, and they do ENORMOUS poops, but I don't feel it necessary to bag it and leave it by the trail for later pickup. I just bag it and carry it with me, because even trash that gets picked up later is still trash.

Old 08-26-22, 02:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

BTW, the other advantage of carrying it with you is that nobody will mess with you. Who's dumb enough to antagonize somebody armed with a bag of fresh dog poop?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.