Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Finally Giving Up on Ebay Selling

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Finally Giving Up on Ebay Selling

Old 09-24-22, 03:59 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
If you are going to sell on eBay, you have to develop a thick skin and you need to do enough transactions where if one goes south, you are still ahead.

im dealing with one right now, $50 pair of shoes. Buyer claimed they never got it even though the USPS confirms delivery….

I had another one where the buyer claimed item was stolen off their porch…. This crap happens but the vast majority goes fine without issues.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 09-24-22, 05:59 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
You just reminded me of the time in my teenage days when a joke I was telling fell flat because the guy I was telling it to came up with a better punch line before I could deliver mine.

Mine: "Two Wongs don't make a white."

His: "Occidents will happen."
Perhaps you posted this in the wrong S.F.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-25-22, 05:19 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 146 Posts
BLUF - the issue is, we have sellers that would like to take advantage of the higher selling prices attained through auction platforms such as eBay mainly due to the greater reach to potential buyers, versus selling on forums with much more limited reach but without all the hassles that come with said auction sites. What, if anything, am I missing?

Edit: Conversely, we have buyers who would like to take advantage of the lower selling points on small forums such as this, versus those realized on auction sites.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 09-25-22, 06:36 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,710 Times in 1,393 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
BLUF - the issue is, we have sellers that would like to take advantage of the higher selling prices attained through auction platforms such as eBay mainly due to the greater reach to potential buyers, versus selling on forums with much more limited reach but without all the hassles that come with said auction sites. What, if anything, am I missing?

Edit: Conversely, we have buyers who would like to take advantage of the lower selling points on small forums such as this, versus those realized on auction sites.
Nailed it. But you forgot the part about coming to this forum and wringing your hands for at least 3 pages,

PS - And no matter where you sell or buy, there will always be a-hole sellers and buyers.
Old 09-25-22, 06:53 AM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by iab
Nailed it. But you forgot the part about coming to this forum and wringing your hands for at least 3 pages,

PS - And no matter where you sell or buy, there will always be a-hole sellers and buyers.
So what we need is a hobbyist/semi-hobbyist run third-party website, that allows sellers to realize better selling prices than the smaller forums, while maintaining a reasonable level of rules and added fees, and no added commentary...

Ok, I'm in. Who's going to build it?
Old 09-25-22, 07:51 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,710 Times in 1,393 Posts
So what we need is a hobbyist/semi-hobbyist run third-party website, that allows sellers to realize better selling prices than the smaller forums, while maintaining a reasonable level of rules and added fees, and no added commentary...
Well, there will still be hand wringing. Can't stop that. Still worth it then?
Old 09-25-22, 08:13 AM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by iab
Well, there will still be hand wringing. Can't stop that. Still worth it then?
I think without the BS that eBay has allowed to happen, yes. The customer is not always right and should not be in a position to dictate whether or not the seller gets paid. eBay f'd this up when they tied everything to PayPal (and we all went along with this as what else can we do about it short of leaving?) and that has given them (eBay) the ability to really do what they want with respect to funds into or out of accounts. I think as long as we never institute draconian rules like this, it should be an even playing field. It seems to work for other forums I frequent with sales areas. Sure, you always have the potential for bad transactions between two parties but I think that can be policed within. And I know we as sellers on those other forums are not in the habit of assisting the I R S, that's for damn sure.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 09-25-22, 09:29 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
For large items like a bike, I'd try FB marketplace first
Old 09-25-22, 09:35 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
We clearly need a whinging emoticon.

Something like this?

Old 09-25-22, 09:41 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

So, I think it's clear to me that if you're a seller, and sell a lot, eBay will probably maximize your profits. Some sales may go south, stores call it shrinkage, and build that into your sales model. There's more work involved filing your income taxes.

If you don't want to deal with the hassle, sell your bike related stuff here. If you're very risk adverse, sell only to people who post enough here to value their reputation enough not to screw you over.
Old 09-25-22, 07:05 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
Duly noted, now make sure and publicly reprimend the other guy for the personal attacks over my simple post. That type of nonsense is not needed as well.
Hdy Manny66 Check this out, it's a refresher https://www.bikeforums.net/faq.php?f...aq_forum_rules

Notably: "Any decision taken by the administrators and moderators is final and must be respected."

If you feel that you can do a better job at moderating, I'd love for you to apply to join the team. You might be able to teach us a thing or two on how to handle members who break this rule.

I'll be looking forward to your inquiry. Email me at siubluewind@bikeforums.net

Thanks
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 09-25-22, 09:12 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Hdy Manny66 Check this out, it's a refresher https://www.bikeforums.net/faq.php?f...aq_forum_rules

Notably: "Any decision taken by the administrators and moderators is final and must be respected."

If you feel that you can do a better job at moderating, I'd love for you to apply to join the team. You might be able to teach us a thing or two on how to handle members who break this rule.

I'll be looking forward to your inquiry. Email me at siubluewind@bikeforums.net

Thanks

A moderator?,,,And put up with guys like cudakk who feel the need to try and humiliate somebody for writing a letter to Ebay,And chastise somebody for valuing Confente bikes,NO thanks.

Since you feel you feel the need post the the BF Rules,,just cut to the chase and feel free to post any of the BF rules you think I might have broke.

Last edited by Manny66; 09-25-22 at 09:20 PM.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 09-25-22, 11:04 PM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by grantelmwood
For large items like a bike, I'd try FB marketplace first
I have no idea what FB marketplace is. Link?
Old 09-25-22, 11:07 PM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by gugie
If you don't want to deal with the hassle, sell your bike related stuff here. If you're very risk adverse, sell only to people who post enough here to value their reputation enough not to screw you over.
Hahahaha... this is a joke, right? Pennies on the dollar, very limited audience, no thanks.
Old 09-25-22, 11:23 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Hahahaha... this is a joke, right? Pennies on the dollar, very limited audience, no thanks.
I've bought and sold through the Classic and Vintage Sales forum, maybe not what I'd get on eBay, but no commission, prompt payment, and the people who buy and sell here consider their reputation too important to screw someone over.

But hey, you're 139 posts in, so clearly you know something I don't?
Old 09-25-22, 11:36 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
I'm so glad that the Handsome Cycles XOXO thread exists. There are so many new people there who are genuinely thrilled at the thought of experiencing a C&V KOF bike and are practically dancing on air.

...and then there's this thread.

-Kurt

Old 09-26-22, 01:23 AM
BMC_Kid 

I've bought and sold through the Classic and Vintage Sales forum, maybe not what I'd get on eBay, but no commission, prompt payment, and the people who buy and sell here consider their reputation too important to screw someone over.

Clearly.
Old 09-26-22, 01:27 AM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 282 Posts
Big sigh ! rolls eyes and walks away wondering WHY **********???
Old 09-26-22, 08:25 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 208 Posts
calling dr, fauci: is snark a side effect of long covid? i have enough stress in my life with everything in the news, getting custody of a 16 year old grand daughter, and all the aches and pains associated with getting old. i come here on this forum for some calm and to find a touchstone for the opposite of stress and snark. hope i don't have to take a break from my favorite forum for awhile... don
Likes For cocoabeachcrab:
Old 09-26-22, 09:10 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by cocoabeachcrab
calling dr, fauci: is snark a side effect of long covid? i have enough stress in my life with everything in the news, getting custody of a 16 year old grand daughter, and all the aches and pains associated with getting old. i come here on this forum for some calm and to find a touchstone for the opposite of stress and snark. hope i don't have to take a break from my favorite forum for awhile... don
Agreed. I've popped off this forum for an extended time now and then and have never seen it this frequently confrontational before.

Sure, there have been heated arguments here before, but usually on the principle of whatever is being discussed. Outright attacks on character straight out of the gate seems to be increasing though - and worryingly widespread.

-Kurt

Old 09-26-22, 09:30 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Originally Posted by cudak888
Agreed. I've popped off this forum for an extended time now and then and have never seen it this frequently confrontational before.

Sure, there have been heated arguments here before, but usually on the principle of whatever is being discussed. Outright attacks on character straight out of the gate seems to be increasing though - and worryingly widespread.

-Kurt
i've also been following the 72 colnago for sale thread, and that has me bothered as well.
Old 09-26-22, 09:47 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
A moderator?,,,And put up with guys like cudakk who feel the need to try and humiliate somebody for writing a letter to Ebay,And chastise somebody for valuing Confente bikes,NO thanks.

Since you feel you feel the need post the the BF Rules,,just cut to the chase and feel free to post any of the BF rules you think I might have broke.
Well, we are putting up with you, aren't we? With your finesse and class, I figured you can show us how it's done, since we are not up to par in your eyes.

And in regards to the BF rules, I already posted it, did you not see that part?

If how we are moderating does not sit with you well, be part of the solution, not part of the problem!

But maybe you are right. We should be a little more strict and follow protocol for those who are breaking the guidelines.

Thank you for the reminder.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 09-26-22, 09:49 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

i've also been following the 72 colnago for sale thread, and that has me bothered as well.
Oh, I don't know. Provided it's viewed as comedy, it's one of the funniest threads here in a while. All it needs is a matching Confente sales thread to be perfect

-Kurt

Old 09-26-22, 10:19 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

any chance this thread can get back to the matter at hand? i'm going to loose my storage space in the spring and i'm pondering how to sell some of my heard, so i'm really interested in where to list some bikes and parts...
Likes For cocoabeachcrab:
Old 09-26-22, 10:29 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
any chance this thread can get back to the matter at hand? i'm going to loose my storage space in the spring and i'm pondering how to sell some of my heard, so i'm really interested in where to list some bikes and parts...
List them here, ebay, and paceline. Lots of pics and reasonable prices.
Likes For mstateglfr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.