Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Aluminium seat post identification, for removal/replacement purposes.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-29-22, 12:48 PM
wellerchap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

This seat post is stuck in my steel frame Peugeot Optimum road bike (no idea for how long, it was a recent Ebay purchase.
I love the elegant styling of the swans neck design & would love to remove it in one (healthy) piece.
I've begun the penetrant dowsing method & have all the time in the world for it to drink in...there's no rush.
There's roughly 3 inches of straight post above frame level - does anyone know how much more may be in the frame?
Also, is it a recognised post & therefore easily tracked down to replace? I don't see any visible markings for i.d.

Old 09-29-22, 02:03 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
In the days of level top tube frames seat posts were very short compared to today. It's likely only 180mm long.
Likes For Eric S.:
Old 09-29-22, 02:16 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Get some Kano Kroil, it is your best chance at a penetrant-only solution.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 09-29-22, 02:27 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
I get it. The top of that seat post has an elegant appearance. However, if is well and truly stuck you may have to sacrifice it in order to save the rest of this bike. Penetrating lubricants can help, but still some brute force may be required to free that seat post which might destroy the top of the seatpost. . I faced the same dilemma years ago freeing up a seat post on a GT LTS. I worked on it for over a year, finally having to cut the post off and cut from the inside diameter of the post . I saved the bike, sacrificed the post. Do you want a bike or a useless seat post?
Old 09-29-22, 06:43 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
No clue on the seatpost, although it looks a bit like a long layback Velo Orange Grand Cru. However, I think you may want to reassess whether or not it’s even worth trying to remove the post. The frame is showing some very concerning rust. The rust on the seatstay isn’t anything to worry about but every joint on the frame that we can see in the picture is showing rust. Not a little rust but rust that completely encircles the lug/tube joint. That’s concerning.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-29-22, 07:03 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
You might be ale to get a rough idea by tapping the seat tube with a SMALL wrench or similar and listen to when the sound changes pitch/tone/different.

I'd give those rusty joints a workout with a wire brush to see IF you can tell how deep it goes.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 09-30-22, 09:48 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26370 Post(s)
Liked 10,340 Times in 7,184 Posts
...just a couple of random thoughts. they may or may not help you.

1. the best penetrant, by far, is a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid.

2. I have owned a couple of posts that were designed like that, and they did not work well. You can help them work better, by increasing the friction of the large flat surface on that curved top, but they tend to slip unless the bolt is tightened excessively. I just replaced mine with a different design.

3. when you struggle with trying to get it to break free, it helps a lot to install an old, junk steel saddle frame, or a crummy saddle you can sacrifice, into the post, Then you can pound and twist on the saddle frame, not the post clamp. If youi have access to a solid mounted bench vise, you can clamp the steel saddle frame in the vise, and twist the bike frame itself, to break it free of the post.
Old 09-30-22, 10:51 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
If you plan on repainting, DOT3 brake fluid is also an excellent penetrant. But it will damage paint. I use it on auto suspension work with great results.

In any case, even with successful penetration, it's still going to take a lot of mechanical force. I hear aluminum swells when it oxidizes. The idea with a sacrificial saddle is a good one. Otherwise, an 18" or 24" pipe wrench on the post has worked for me. Be sure to use the front triangle for the opposing force.

Checking the oxidation at the BB shell before proceeding is a very good idea.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 09-30-22, 11:09 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
In any case, even with successful penetration, it's still going to take a lot of mechanical force. I hear aluminum swells when it oxidizes. The idea with a sacrificial saddle is a good one. Otherwise, an 18" or 24" pipe wrench on the post has worked for me. Be sure to use the front triangle for the opposing force.
A sacrificial saddle is unlikely to provide enough grip or leverage. I'd put that post in a bench vise, protected by wooden blocks, of course. Spray the inside with penetrant, let it soak for a few days, and then start with short, sharp twisting efforts on the frame. Resist the urge to use a hammer or cheater bar.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 09-30-22, 11:37 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
... I'd put that post in a bench vise, protected by wooden blocks, of course. Spray the inside with penetrant, let it soak for a few days, and then start with short, sharp twisting efforts on the frame. Resist the urge to use a hammer or cheater bar.
But that takes patience!
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 09-30-22, 02:00 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
A sacrificial saddle is unlikely to provide enough grip or leverage. I'd put that post in a bench vise, protected by wooden blocks, of course. Spray the inside with penetrant, let it soak for a few days, and then start with short, sharp twisting efforts on the frame. Resist the urge to use a hammer or cheater bar.

....this may be your opinion, but I can assure you that I've done this plenty of times, and in fact, keep an old leather saddle frame (minus the leather) hanging over on one corner of the tools pegboard for exactly this purpose. It works quite well, and you don't need any wooden blocks or other protections for the saddle frame, because it is not necessary to protect it. Why in the world would you think that grabbing a sacrificial saddle frame, attached to the post via the post's own clamp, and fixed on a bench vise, would have less "leverage" in using this method to twist the frame off the post ? It's the same operation. But by avoiding any clamping force directed from the vise to the post, it protects the post and clamp itself.
Old 09-30-22, 07:31 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,180 Posts
I will add turn the bike upside down and put the penetrant into the BB shell and give it a long time to work...you might even see some of it flowing out around the "downturned" seat post.
Good Luck, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-30-22, 08:08 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...the other thing you can do is grab a MAPP gas torch, and use it to do several heating and cooling cycles, applying the heat to the aluminum post, to avoid smoking the paint on the frame. The expansion and contraction over several cycles will usually break the corrosive bond between the steel frame and the aluminum post, and it also helps your penetrant to wick in, if you apply it when the thing is hot. You should get it hot enough to smoke the oil, but not so hot that you damage the paint. If that makes sense ? It usually works, but sometimes posts can be pretty stuck in there.

Cool with something like Freeze Off.
Old 10-01-22, 09:11 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The frame is showing some very concerning rust.
That's probably a result of inadequate flux removal before painting, it's likely to be superficial.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 10-01-22, 10:32 AM
wellerchap

Originally Posted by Eric S.
In the days of level top tube frames seat posts were very short compared to today. It's likely only 180mm long.
I hope you're right - time will tell.
Old 10-01-22, 10:34 AM
wellerchap

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Get some Kano Kroil, it is your best chance at a penetrant-only solution.
That seems to be an American product - very expensive here in the UK.
Old 10-01-22, 10:37 AM
wellerchap

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I get it. The top of that seat post has an elegant appearance. However, if is well and truly stuck you may have to sacrifice it in order to save the rest of this bike. Penetrating lubricants can help, but still some brute force may be required to free that seat post which might destroy the top of the seatpost. . I faced the same dilemma years ago freeing up a seat post on a GT LTS. I worked on it for over a year, finally having to cut the post off and cut from the inside diameter of the post . I saved the bike, sacrificed the post. Do you want a bike or a useless seat post?
I'm at the start of the process - loads of time to soak from both ends....best case scenario I'd love to save everything (Google "characteristics of Yorkshire people" to find out how we have a reputation for money-saving )....but I understand it's a process with many outcomes.
Old 10-01-22, 10:38 AM
wellerchap

Originally Posted by cyccommute
No clue on the seatpost, although it looks a bit like a long layback Velo Orange Grand Cru. However, I think you may want to reassess whether or not it’s even worth trying to remove the post. The frame is showing some very concerning rust. The rust on the seatstay isn’t anything to worry about but every joint on the frame that we can see in the picture is showing rust. Not a little rust but rust that completely encircles the lug/tube joint. That’s concerning.
The bike cost me GBP23.....about same in dollars, maybe less, so I'm happy to take a chance.
Old 10-01-22, 10:42 AM
wellerchap

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
But that takes patience!
It's OK.....I have a little bit of that
Old 10-01-22, 10:43 AM
wellerchap

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
I will add turn the bike upside down and put the penetrant into the BB shell and give it a long time to work...you might even see some of it flowing out around the "downturned" seat post.
Good Luck, Ben
Thank you, yes - it's going in at both ends!
Old 10-01-22, 10:44 AM
wellerchap

Originally Posted by grumpus
That's probably a result of inadequate flux removal before painting, it's likely to be superficial.
I like the sound of that.....hope so!
Old 10-01-22, 10:50 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by wellerchap
That seems to be an American product - very expensive here in the UK.
I'm generally a fan of PlusGas but I'm not sure how effective it would be in this situation - possibly together with the repeated heating mentioned elsewhere.
Old 10-01-22, 10:58 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
On a new (or newer) bike, it might be superficial. But this bike is around 30 years old and has significant rust elsewhere, in addition to a frozen post. It has rust problems.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-01-22, 12:16 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,531 Posts
other seat post removal approaches

I agree with doing a good rust check before investing time/effort on the seat post

some other seat post removal methods

ammonia soak, turn frame upside down an fill with as concentrated ammonia as you can find

thermal shock..... a product called freeze off combines penetrant and get super cold when applied...this is my go to for stuck things

from there it is destructive removal

lye soak to dissolve the seat post

cut top of seat post off and cut the seatpost out by cutting vertical strips out

Old 10-01-22, 07:54 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....this may be your opinion, but I can assure you that I've done this plenty of times, and in fact, keep an old leather saddle frame (minus the leather) hanging over on one corner of the tools pegboard for exactly this purpose. It works quite well, and you don't need any wooden blocks or other protections for the saddle frame, because it is not necessary to protect it. Why in the world would you think that grabbing a sacrificial saddle frame, attached to the post via the post's own clamp, and fixed on a bench vise, would have less "leverage" in using this method to twist the frame off the post ? It's the same operation. But by avoiding any clamping force directed from the vise to the post, it protects the post and clamp itself.
Been there, done that. Didn't work. Thanks anyway. The bench vise works if the bench is bolted to something solid, like the floor or wall joists. I wouldn't have brought it up if I hadn't already done it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.