Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do people say what they do?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-04-22, 01:19 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts

So I was riding a paved mup on an early sunny afternoon. A cyclists approaching from opposite direction with flashing lights yelled out at me, "Lights".

Another day I was loading my bike onto vehicle from the bike shop. A family walked past me and said, You are going to ride your bike?? Shouldn't you stop riding now, its so cold. The temperature was 15C.
It's like if people feel it's out of the norm for them, then it's not normal. Never mind what you feel is ok to do.

What do people say to you while your'e cycling that leaves you scratching your head.

Last edited by b88; 10-04-22 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-04-22, 01:36 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
While turning onto a bike path a few weeks ago, some cyclists were approaching from the opposite direction. The head Karen shouts at the top of her lungs "Bike Up!!!".

Admittedly, I've only been riding since about 1971, so this was new to me.
Old 10-04-22, 01:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
What do people say to you while your'e cycling that leaves you scratching your head.
Most anything. I ride solo a lot. So anything they say, I probably won't hear enough of to understand as we pass each other.

Short things like "hello" and other one or two word greetings I might get! <grin>
Old 10-04-22, 01:56 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
So I was riding a paved mup on an early sunny afternoon. A cyclists approaching from opposite direction with flashing lights yelled out at me, "Lights".
He may have had trouble seeing you, particularly if the sun was behind you; this time of year, the sun can get low pretty early and make for challenging lighting conditions.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-04-22, 01:57 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,286 Times in 7,226 Posts
I try not to focus on the negative/inane.

I remember things like the congratulations I get from strangers when I am out on tour. And, of course, the "nice legs" comments.

I do, however, remember some young woman yelling out of a passenger side window that I am was riding on the wrong side of the road during a descent while on tour in Vermont back in June. I was riding on the correct side of the road according to VT state law.
Old 10-04-22, 02:09 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
While turning onto a bike path a few weeks ago, some cyclists were approaching from the opposite direction. The head Karen shouts at the top of her lungs "Bike Up!!!".

Not new to me. That first person was warning the people behind her there was a bike approaching from the opposite direction and to make sure they didn't veer into your path. In the club I belong to it is common practice while riding on narrow bike paths
Old 10-04-22, 02:18 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 953 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
He may have had trouble seeing you, particularly if the sun was behind you;
If the sun is behind you, headlights won't help. This is the one situation where lights won't help. The military actually uses bright lights as a camouflage in this type of situation.
Old 10-04-22, 02:23 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Not new to me. That first person was warning the people behind her there was a bike approaching from the opposite direction and to make sure they didn't veer into your path. In the club I belong to it is common practice while riding on narrow bike paths
It wasn't at all narrow, and even had a dividing line down the middle. It was most likely directed at me, not the followers.
Old 10-04-22, 02:25 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I was actually scratching my head on this one. 😅
So that’s what she meant. 👍🏻
Likes For b88:
Old 10-04-22, 02:26 PM
fredlord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
If the sun is behind you, headlights won't help. This is the one situation where lights won't help. The military actually uses bright lights as a camouflage in this type of situation.
Flashing lights might.
Likes For fredlord:
Old 10-04-22, 02:29 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
I stopped under an underpass to take some photos of my bike, because I liked the lighting there. A group of cyclists rode by and one of them said to me "Tagging! Oh man that's NOT COOL!!". She must've thought I had stopped there to do some graffiti (which I wasn't). They were gone before I could think of a witty reply.

Last edited by Reflector Guy; 10-04-22 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-04-22, 02:32 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
A flashing light on a MUP might be frowned upon. Some group rides don't allow them either.

So you could have responded by saying "Hey what's with the flashing?" in an incredulous tone.
Old 10-04-22, 02:59 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Most passing motorists who yell something at me sound like they're saying, "I'M SOO STUUUUUPIIDD!"
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-04-22, 03:04 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Most passing motorists who yell something at me sound like they're saying, "I'M SOO STUUUUUPIIDD!"
That's the message, even if it's not exactly what they're yelling.
Old 10-04-22, 03:13 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Okay, Maverick.

I'm not talking about sun on the horizon, directly behind you, just generally behind so that the sun's in their eyes; bright lights can help quite a bit in those situations.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-04-22, 03:41 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts

I'd probably be a little concerned that the next thing yelled from the group was going to be "Bike Down".

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-04-22, 05:13 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
It wasn't at all narrow, and even had a dividing line down the middle. It was most likely directed at me, not the followers.
It most definitely was not directed at you. "Bike up", "Hiker up", "Car up", etc. are all used to communicate that the group is approaching the mentioned object. In mountain biking groups, obstacles like logs, other riders and hikers are called out in a similar fashion. Some people are a bit overzealous in their yelling out of these warnings.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 10-04-22, 05:13 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I can't remember anything anyone said to me recently. Maybe that's because I see many more antelope than people on most of my rides.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 10-04-22, 07:01 PM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 149 Posts
I skirted wide of the path, because there were also a telephone pole and guy wires to contend with when overtaking a disheveled looking homeless person. I still said “passing on your right”. He yelled at me angrily “I would have moved over for you!”
Old 10-04-22, 07:04 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by dsaul
It most definitely was not directed at you.
I agree, prima facia. But had you been there, you might think otherwise.
Old 10-04-22, 07:09 PM
WhyFi

No, it absolutely, positively was not directed at you - as mentioned, this is an exceedingly common practice. People cross over the line all of the time and groups, especially, tend to sprawl over them; "bike up!" was the lead rider's warning to riders behind them to move out of your way, if they weren't already.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-04-22, 07:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,286 Times in 7,226 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
No, it absolutely, positively was not directed at you - as mentioned, this is an exceedingly common practice. And people cross over the line all of the time and groups, especially, tend to sprawl over them; "bike up!" was the lead rider's warning to riders behind them to move out of your way, if they weren't already.
I can vouch for this. “Rider up!” is a fairly common warning in my neck of the woods when there is a group approaching an oncoming cyclist in a situation where things could get tight.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-04-22, 07:39 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 240 Posts
I rarely think of a witty comment quick enough, in response to some weird shoutout to me during a ride.
One time, though, a small group of men walked along the sidewalk during the lunch hour near my office.
My ride just started winding down, with my office a half mile away. One of the dudes made a loud cat-call at me.
Within a split second, I simply said, "Sorry, I'm not that sort of man!" His buddies all broke out in laughter.
Old 10-04-22, 11:33 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts

You've been riding for 51 years and never heard of this??? Have you never ridden in a group that understands safety and proper bike etiquette???

Proper safety protocol when riding in a group is to warn about hazards and also to warn fellow riders in the group to be aware of their surroundings. Yelling bike up, as some have already pointed out, is to let fellow riders to either not swerve into your path or to let other riders to behind the leader to single up should they be doubled or tripled. This is no different than yelling car up or car back when group riding. Yelling bike up wasn't directed at you just as yelling and pointing to warn about a branch or other debris isn't yelling at the hazard, it's a warning to fellow cyclists. As for the line in the middle, often on bike paths cyclists may ride near the line and even cross it if it's not too crowded.

Ultimately, whining about something you should have known after 51 years is ridiculous, (unfortunately there's no agreed upon name for a male-Karen), and "the head Karen", doing what was absolutely proper, might have saved YOU from an accident.
Old 10-05-22, 12:29 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
I was riding up the steepest part of a very popular local road (6-12%, a 600’ climb or so)on Sunday afternoon. there’s an uphill bake line and a downhill car lane, separated by those semi flexible plastic pylons. I was going slow on the 10% ish section, and an elderly biker-looking dude on a robust eBike towing a trailer with a dog in it swerved out from behind me into the downhill lane, and then back into the bike lane in front of me. he yelled out “smooth move lance.”

I am not sure what move he was referring to, other than riding slowly uphill. maybe my “move” was not hopping the curb on my road bike to ride along the rocky embankment so he could pass me in the bike lane? that certainly wouldn’t be very lance-esque.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.