Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

What folding bike size?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

What folding bike size?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-22, 06:58 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
What folding bike size?

I'm considering using mass transit for my commute and possibly incorporating a bike in the mix. I want to buy a used folding bike but have no idea what size I need or if those sizes translate from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I ride a 58cm road bike and am in "Clydesdale" territory.

Are they all fairly universal and you just get a tall stem and seat post? Are those little tires going to hold my 250lbs and bag?

Thanks
Paul
Old 09-29-22, 07:29 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Have to checked with the transit company to see what their requirements and limitations are? If not, start there.

Small wheels are stronger that large wheels, that is not your problem. You need to look for a bike with a higher rated weight capacity, this may be hard to determine on the second-hand market. Simply adding a longer seat post may help, but make sure that the seat post is also rated for your weight.
Old 09-29-22, 10:09 AM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul
I'm considering using mass transit for my commute and possibly incorporating a bike in the mix. I want to buy a used folding bike but have no idea what size I need or if those sizes translate from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Are they all fairly universal and you just get a tall stem and seat post? Are those little tires going to hold my 250lbs and bag?

Thanks
Paul
Most companies will put the height and weight capacities of their bikes in the spec sheets. The common weight limits I've seen (in the US, not sure where you live) are 230 lbs, 260 lbs, and 300 lbs. At your weight I'd be looking at a Zizzo Forte and Origami Bull, because they both have 300 lb capacity and that would give you some leeway for luggage. If you ride a 58 cm road bike probably most folding bikes available in the US will work for you. Some bikes available in the Asian market are going to maybe be too small, but they won't work for your weight regardless.
Likes For willydstyle:
Old 09-29-22, 10:33 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
A few things you should know about folding bikes - Manufactures inflate their height capacity by just considering the height of the seat to the pedal. They do not consider your physical ability to ride with a handlebar lower than the seat. You usually have to ask for reach and handlebar height. 20 inch folders that accept 50 mm tires ride more comfortably in bad road conditions, but are larger when folded than 16 inch folders. This makes a big difference for multimodal commuting on buses and trains.20 inch folders usually fit fine in cars.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 09-29-22, 02:22 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
20 inch folders that accept 50 mm tires ride more comfortably in bad road conditions, but are larger when folded than 16 inch folders. This makes a big difference for multimodal commuting on buses and trains.20 inch folders usually fit fine in cars.
It's possible to get 50mm tires for 16" bicycles. Just as with the 20" bicycles though, you need to use a rim diameter that the wider tire is available for. The 305 size apparently accepts the 16" tire that comes in 50mm.
Old 09-29-22, 03:15 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
It's possible to get 50mm tires for 16" bicycles. Just as with the 20" bicycles though, you need to use a rim diameter that the wider tire is available for. The 305 size apparently accepts the 16" tire that comes in 50mm.
I know that, but the problem with is that they still don't ride well enough due to their smaller diameter. The last two times I made a trip over the handlebars was aboard my Brompton due to a pothole and a major obstacle that I thought I could ride over. The pothole was filled with water. It was raining. The obstacle incident was operator error. Also, you take harder jolts as your wheel diameter decreases. For me and my environment, urban bombs cape, 406x50 is the first size that works really well.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 09-30-22, 09:52 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Here you go:

https://usa.dahon.com/collections/bi...ucts/dahon-hit
Old 09-30-22, 12:39 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
The Bull is a little less expensive, has a 9-speed gear set vs. 6-speed, includes the rack and fenders, has disc brakes vs. vee brakes, and IMHO is better looking.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 09-30-22, 05:00 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
The Bull is a little less expensive, has a 9-speed gear set vs. 6-speed, includes the rack and fenders, has disc brakes vs. vee brakes, and IMHO is better looking.
From the looks of things, the 6-speed Dahon HIT uses a freewheel hub 126mm wide. This will limit any opportunities later to upgrade it. The 9-speed Bull uses a cassette hub to a wider modern standard, meaning that it can be more easily maintained or upgraded. Combined with the fact that it comes with the rack and fenders to make it a useful form of transport rather than a toy or sporting goods, I would definitely chose the Bull over the HIT.
Likes For Reddleman:
Old 09-30-22, 07:44 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 354 Posts
Say No to proprietary, non-standard dimension parts.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 10-03-22, 10:21 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul

Thanks
Paul
If you're commuting to DC, you can bring regular bikes into Metro now. Although a folding bike makes it much easier to fit and sit on a crowded train.