Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Does dry lube expire at some point?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-22, 02:34 PM
Giant40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've had great luck using dry lube when it comes to keeping my chain lubed, while also keeping it clean. I started out with Finish Line teflon lube, but then it started getting really costly. Then at a Menards store, I discovered Liquid Wrench dry lube at a much lower price. I tried it and then used it for many years with great success until this year. Normally, I would only spray it on my chain once in a year, and it would keep working all that year as long as I stayed out of rain. But this year, it only seems to work for a couple rides before having to re-apply again. If I don't, the chain starts making grinding noises when I pedal. I'm getting the impression that this stuff has gotten old, but I'm not sure how old it is now. Does lube actually expire??? I still have plenty left in the can. Here's a link to the exact product, although I didn't pay nearly as much as is being charged for it in the link. I think I paid less than $5. https://www.zoro.com/stens-dry-lubri...iABEgLmd_D_BwE
Old 10-04-22, 02:54 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Does the dry lube require you shake the can before applying it? Did you? Some spray liquids can separate on long storage and have to be agitated to remix them. I wouldn't expect the lube to "settle" like rattle can paint but it may separate.
Old 10-04-22, 03:02 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I doubt the solid lubricant expires. But that leaves the carrier drying up (especially over several years), and the possibility you've got some dirt, grit, or sand in the chain. A suspension of dry lube might also lift up the grit for a short time, but as soon as the solvent dries and the dry lube disperses, you'll hear the grit grinding your chain again.

Cue the "best way to clean a chain" threads.
Old 10-04-22, 03:08 PM
Giant40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Does the dry lube require you shake the can before applying it? Did you? Some spray liquids can separate on long storage and have to be agitated to remix them. I wouldn't expect the lube to "settle" like rattle can paint but it may separate.
It does require shaking, which I do. It has a thing inside the can that rattles around to help stir the contents.
Old 10-04-22, 07:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Yes, the lube doesn't actually expire. But a mentioned the carrier may evaporate, losing some ability to disperse the lube particles well.

Also some classes of dry lubes can clump over time, including (or especially) Teflon. So it's possible that over time the lubes may have clumped into particles too large to disperse and work effectively.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-05-22, 07:27 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
The lube itself does not expire, PTFE (teflon) is actually an environmental issue in that it does not break down. You can get the same result with a lot less mess and waste by switching to a drip container like Finish Line Dry Teflon Bicycle Chain Lube or a generic like 3 In One Multi-purpose PTFE Lube.
Old 10-05-22, 07:46 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
The lube itself does not expire, PTFE (teflon) is actually an environmental issue in that it does not break down. You can get the same result with a lot less mess and waste by switching to a drip container like Finish Line Dry Teflon Bicycle Chain Lube or a generic like 3 In One Multi-purpose PTFE Lube.
Sounds like you're more concerned with the aerosol than the Teflon.
Old 10-05-22, 08:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
What are you calling dry lube? Most of the so called dry lubes I've been using lately state that you should lube your chain with them every 80 to 120 miles depending on which product you are using.
Old 10-05-22, 01:18 PM
Giant40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
What are you calling dry lube? Most of the so called dry lubes I've been using lately state that you should lube your chain with them every 80 to 120 miles depending on which product you are using.
Are you asking me? Here's a link to the exact product I'm using: https://www.zoro.com/stens-dry-lubri...iABEgLmd_D_BwE
Old 10-05-22, 01:19 PM
Giant40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, the lube doesn't actually expire. But a mentioned the carrier may evaporate, losing some ability to disperse the lube particles well.

Also some classes of dry lubes can clump over time, including (or especially) Teflon. So it's possible that over time the lubes may have clumped into particles too large to disperse and work effectively.
Would it evaporate even though it's in a spray can?
Old 10-05-22, 01:22 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I agree with the its-your-chain comment above: sounds like your chain has dirt embedded in it.

I bought a bunch of different spray lubes maybe 20 years ago, too much, and I am still working through them. I never noticed any degradation and I have something like five different kinds.
Old 10-05-22, 01:55 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by Giant40
Would it evaporate even though it's in a spray can?
in theory not, and I don't think it actually did. However, I'd had a few instances of aerosols "magically" emptying while sitting on a shelf for years.

Like the others, I suspect that the change is the chain, not the lube. Besides dirt, you might have caused problems by how you wash it, without rinsing and drying (if you did), with remaining residue preventing the lube from entering and dispersing as designed. Bt extension, you might have made other changes to the process, which may be causing your issues.

In any case, chain lubes are pretty cheap. Though you might not think so based on the per oz. or per bottle price, the actual cost per mile of chain lube isn't pennies. (it's much less)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-05-22, 02:01 PM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
I've had great luck using dry lube when it comes to keeping my chain lubed, while also keeping it clean. I started out with Finish Line teflon lube, but then it started getting really costly. Then at a Menards store, I discovered Liquid Wrench dry lube at a much lower price. I tried it and then used it for many years with great success until this year. Normally, I would only spray it on my chain once in a year, and it would keep working all that year as long as I stayed out of rain. But this year, it only seems to work for a couple rides before having to re-apply again. If I don't, the chain starts making grinding noises when I pedal. I'm getting the impression that this stuff has gotten old, but I'm not sure how old it is now. Does lube actually expire??? I still have plenty left in the can. Here's a link to the exact product, although I didn't pay nearly as much as is being charged for it in the link. I think I paid less than $5.
If you have been lubing that chain only once a year, you may need a new chain.
Old 10-05-22, 02:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Are you asking me? Here's a link to the exact product I'm using: https://www.zoro.com/stens-dry-lubri...iABEgLmd_D_BwE
Yeah, that response was for you. That's the way I'd take most any reply that doesn't quote or specify another participant in the thread.

I've never used that product. I started using the actual chain lubes made specifically for bicycle chains years ago. Many of them I've been using recently are a wax emulsion in a water base that evaporates leaving the wax where it needs to be. Since it goes on wet, the wax get carried down into the parts of the chain that don't see the light of day where the chain really needs lubrication.

My concern with your product would be that if it does in fact spray on dry, then it's only coating the outside of the chain where no lube is needed other than for prevention of oxidation so it stays pretty. Also any overspray might get on things like your disc brake rotor and pads if your bike is so equipped will potentially make for issues. They claim it contain their own special dry lube which essentially is PTEF. Not certain how sticky that is and hard to get off fully in places like brake surfaces where you don't want it to be slippery.