Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Old 01-01-08, 03:37 PM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been posting this lately, not quite complete.

https://home.comcast.net/~williams.se...graded_001.jpg

Old 01-01-08, 03:50 PM
yellowjeep

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thats a very slick looking bike
Old 01-01-08, 04:36 PM
dur4ce

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jefpac
I am in the process of re-inventing my bike collection to consist of STI/Ergo hybrids and SA 3-speeds for road use. Currently, the Pinarello Montello 8-spd Ergo and the Titan 9-spd STI are the only bikes relavent to this thread. The Pinarello is just about done. The Titan is the road warrior and an ongoing work in progress ( I'm not completely happy with the fork and cockpit).

These bikes ride VERY differently but both are vastly superior to the aluminum and composite bikes that they have replaced. 25 years and 25 pounds ago I probably would have expressed a different opinion but here and now, given the way I ride today, they are just perfect!!!
That white pinarello is quite possibly the most beautiful bike I've ever seen. I currently ride both a 05 Cannondale CAAD7 (Full 7800 DA) and an 83 Merckx Track bike. I love both my bikes, but I think I might be starting to love vintage bikes more than new ones...

Guess I'll have to spend more of my bike forums times in the CV forum.

-Stve
Old 01-03-08, 08:12 AM
jefpac
JefPac

Bikes: Iron Horse MTB, Giant Road, Titan Road, Pinarello Montello Road, Amsterdam SA 3-Speed Road, Peugeot SA 3-Speed Road (#1), Peugeot SA 3-Speed Road (#2), Unknown 'hack' TBD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sjmayclin
That white pinarello is quite possibly the most beautiful bike I've ever seen.
-Stve
Thank you! I wish the reality was even close to your compliment. This bike is a survivor. It was delivered to me in this condition:

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2272/...20c46cfa_o.jpg

I don't know why, but for the first time ever, I was really upset by the damage done to a BIKE. I didn't even ride it for about 3 months. Every time I looked at it, all I could see was this:

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2263/...b001b0aa_o.jpg

Well I finally "got over it" and made a few changes to make it rideable. Here's a better look at the current set-up:

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2366/...8ac15ab3_o.jpg
https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2059/...83cc7d27_o.jpg

I don't know what to do about the damage. I'm eight months down the road from delivery of the bike and the shipper is STILL stalling on the payment.!!!

The gouge went right through the decal and the paint. It dented but did not penetrate the downtube. The right thing to do is to have the downtube replaced, re-spray the frame and replace the decal set. If I was still living in the US I cold probably talk myself into doing just that. Since I'm currently living just outside Paris in France, the cost, complexity and hassle factor of the repairs will increase exponentially.

So what's a guy to do? I think I'm just going to focus on the awesome ride qualities and overlook the "beauty-mark".

Don't worry, be happy!
Old 01-03-08, 08:36 AM
thalluga

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago, I bought a Colnago off ebay and when I recieved it the wheel axel had scratched the paint off the frame the size of a quarter. The guy I bought it from was very fair and offered to give me $200 back on the bike, I ended up spliting the difference with him and used fingernail polish to cover the paint. The fingernail polish did a pretty good job of covering it up, bike still rides great and you can't even tell from 5 feet or so away.

Guess this is a common bike packing mistake.
Old 01-03-08, 09:19 AM
jefpac
JefPac

Bikes: Iron Horse MTB, Giant Road, Titan Road, Pinarello Montello Road, Amsterdam SA 3-Speed Road, Peugeot SA 3-Speed Road (#1), Peugeot SA 3-Speed Road (#2), Unknown 'hack' TBD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thalluga
Guess this is a common bike packing mistake.
I think you are right. I can't help but think that if the seller had thought to turn the freewheel out or even wrap the freewheel with foam or if the shipper had not shipped the box on its side, none of this would have happened.

I think I'll give your fingernail polish trick a try once we get back above freezing temps. I hope I can find an approximate color match. If not, I guess I'll just go with a 'clearcoat' to keep the moisture out.

Oh well, its still an awesome ride.
Old 01-03-08, 09:37 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by cmdr
As mentioned in another thread this frame has been compromised. While setting it up with the current components it was found to have stress cracks in the TT around the back cable routing hole. Being as I do not have a frame to hang these parts at the moment, and the cracks don't compromise the ride or my life as of yet, I decided to finish building it up and ride it until safety really becomes an issue. Hopefully soon I will be receiving a 1990 Waterford Paramount frame from my brother-in-law, but until then...

Full 9-speed Dura Ace except:
Sram chain
r550 wheelset
SR Laprade seatpost (heavily polished)
Nitto stem (miyata branded)
Nitto B105 bars
105 pedals
Selle Italia saddle
Fizik bar tape (might as well)
Jagwire housing and cables (which I think looks pretty swift)

Pictures:

Wow. I like. I now know what I want my claud butler to look like.
Old 01-03-08, 01:31 PM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have installed Ultegra 9 speed STI's and a Mavic Axium wheelset with Michelin Pro2's on my Nishiki Modulus. I am awaiting the the new 6500 FD and chain and the job will be near completion. Lastly I'll sandblast and powdercoat; although I really hate to loose the decals. Pics soon. Love this thread. Lp

Last edited by Spinz; 01-21-08 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-03-08, 02:06 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Neither of these are mine but they've each inspired me to do my Ciocc with STI shifters.

It pains me to see beautiful vintage bikes ripped apart, their souls thrown out in an ebay trash bin......

.....only to have them be reborn even more beautiful! Just disgusting..er, uh...I mean gorgeous!
Old 01-03-08, 07:32 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yeah, sorry, but that Benotto is crying out for a nice Nuovo Record group and some tubulars.

And what's up with all these bikes with a foot of seatpost showing? Are these people that have grown up with compact framesets and think anything else looks odd?

<edit> Oops. I apparently already made fun of the Benotto's seatpost, in response to someone who claimed "It all just fits".

Have I mentioned that you're all going to hell?
Likes For Six jours:
Old 01-04-08, 11:32 PM
dannyg1 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm sorry to break this to you but there's no way that the ship company is going to take on financial responsibility for that absolutely idiotic packing job. Your claim should be with the person who packed it, and loudly. That guy is just a plain jerk.

DG1

Originally Posted by jefpac
Thank you! I wish the reality was even close to your compliment. This bike is a survivor. It was delivered to me in this condition:

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2272/...20c46cfa_o.jpg

I don't know why, but for the first time ever, I was really upset by the damage done to a BIKE. I didn't even ride it for about 3 months. Every time I looked at it, all I could see was this:

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2263/...b001b0aa_o.jpg

Well I finally "got over it" and made a few changes to make it rideable. Here's a better look at the current set-up:

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2366/...8ac15ab3_o.jpg
https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2059/...83cc7d27_o.jpg

I don't know what to do about the damage. I'm eight months down the road from delivery of the bike and the shipper is STILL stalling on the payment.!!!

The gouge went right through the decal and the paint. It dented but did not penetrate the downtube. The right thing to do is to have the downtube replaced, re-spray the frame and replace the decal set. If I was still living in the US I cold probably talk myself into doing just that. Since I'm currently living just outside Paris in France, the cost, complexity and hassle factor of the repairs will increase exponentially.

So what's a guy to do? I think I'm just going to focus on the awesome ride qualities and overlook the "beauty-mark".

Don't worry, be happy!
Old 01-05-08, 10:49 AM
jefpac
JefPac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyg1
I'm sorry to break this to you but there's no way that the ship company is going to take on financial responsibility for that absolutely idiotic packing job. Your claim should be with the person who packed it, and loudly. That guy is just a plain jerk.DG1
If I were still in the USA you would probably be correct.

Here in France, things operate a bit differently. I purchased what is effectively an 'all peril' shipping insurance when paying for the shipping of the bike. The biggest reason for the delay has much more to do with the slower pace of business here in France than anything else. The second major factor is the French obsession with documentation and the bureaucratic process. (You don't want to know how long it takes to get a driver's license for example...) Its not better or worse than the way we do things in the States. Its just different.

Actually the seller is a very nice guy. Clearly he has little to no experience packaging a bike for shipping but really now, how many people do? It was his first time shipping a bike and I am confident that he did HIS very best.

When I put this whole thing in perspective its really kinda' simple. Its just a bicycle. It will be repaired or it wont. The shipper will pay up or it won't. I'll get over it or I won't.

My game plan: Ride it like I stole it and let every thing else fall as it may.
Old 01-08-08, 12:07 PM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Retro Nishiki Project

I just took the first spin on my newly completed retro Nishiki Modulus. I went with Ultegra 6500 components, Michelin Pro 2 tires, Mavic Axsium wheel set, Brooks B17, Eleven - Eighty One 42cm handlebars. It weighs 21.7 lbs. and rides like a totally different bike. Did I mention fast? I want a set of Ultegra pedals to complete the hardware group. My intent is to ride it for a few weeks and to either touch up the original white pearl, turquoise, and violet paint with an air brush; that would save the decals. Or take advantage of a freebie media blast and powder coat. The down side is loss of decals. I'll get a picture up this afternoon.
All smiles here!! Lp

I have attempted to get some decent sized pics up without success, here is a link if you want to look em. Lp home.triad.rr.com/mycoolstuff

Last edited by Spinz; 01-15-08 at 09:38 AM. Reason: add photos
Old 01-12-08, 09:11 PM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shameless bump. Lp
Old 01-12-08, 10:13 PM
dmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 01-13-08, 06:26 AM
free2move
il grande ciclismo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ That is so sexy.
Old 01-13-08, 06:45 PM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very nice bike!! Lp
Old 01-14-08, 11:40 AM
chiefbigtooth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I read the bikes are not yours, but do you know what year the Benotto is from? How did he get the new brakes to fit on the old frame? Thanks.
Old 01-14-08, 11:42 AM
chiefbigtooth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the difference between 6500's and Ultegra? What year is you groupo from? Bike looks great!
Old 01-20-08, 01:19 AM
justinb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FormerBMX'er

[sacrilege] What kind of fork do you have on that Paramount? Looks like it's some kind of understated carbon job? I've been thinking of doing something similar, but so many carbon forks look horrible with skinny tubed frames. Yours is an exception, as is dmc's concorde w/ wound-up.[/sacrilege]
Old 01-20-08, 01:54 AM
mastershake916

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FormerBMX'er

It's okay, that's a fairly new paramount, so whatever.

Originally Posted by dmc
I'm sorry but with those forks it makes it look like a freaking baby giraffe.
Old 01-20-08, 07:10 PM
nuovorecord
Slave of the road

Bikes: Eddy Merckx, Falcon, Vitus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eddy Merckx MX Leader

OK, I'll play. Here's my MX Leader with (mostly) Record componentry. I believe the frame dates to 1999 or 2000; I bought it new in 2002. The seatpost and cassette are Chorus, and I committed heresy by installing a FSA Compact Pro crankset and BB. The wheels are Velocity Aeroheads built on Record hubs. The headset is Chris King and the saddle is my trusty Rolls. It weighs 20.5 lbs. as you see it, but it climbs like a dream. There is virtually no discernable frame flex on this bike.

I'll post pics of my winter bike, a Merckx Corsa Extra with 8 spd Ergo once I get it cleaned up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0060_2.JPG (80.5 KB, 1569 views)
Old 01-21-08, 08:11 AM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice bike. Lp
Old 01-21-08, 08:43 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 265 Posts
"Since I'm currently living just outside Paris in France, the cost, complexity and hassle factor of the repairs will increase exponentially.

So what's a guy to do? "

Take it to the Alex Singer shop for a repair quote?
Old 01-21-08, 02:26 PM
jefpac
JefPac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Take it to the Alex Singer shop for a repair quote?
I don't think I'm brave enough to even go in there!

I can see it now... I take my little Montello in for a little 'tweak' and €6,500+ later I come out with a 'slight upgrade'. Lets see how I can explain that one to the wife and kids (So, we won't have food or electricity for a few months BUT just look at daddy's new bike!)

Oh well, not in this life.
BTW, what was Alex Singer's address again?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.