Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stuyvesant Bicycle

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stuyvesant Bicycle

Old 03-30-22, 05:01 AM
Marc 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Wow! That brings back memories, I could be misremembering too, but I do believe it was Gino with a last name starting with an "R". I also did a shoot, which I believe to be Silke. Somewhere I still have about 35 B/W 35mm negs of her, or it could be of a different singer. The photo session was also in an apartment in the lower east side. Somewhere by St. Marks Street. I also did another photo shoot for Gino of a singer named "MR Hatfield". It was at some bar downtown while he was performing. I should also have those negs too. I created a 45 label and logo for his company called "Undercover Records". At the time I was working part time at Stuyvesant Bicycle, I was a student at the High School of Art and Design. My father, Heinz, was a commercial artist. He had some camera equipment which I use. I am definitely going to look for those images this weekend. I will keep you updated.
Likes For Marc 5:
Old 03-30-22, 08:40 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Ausberger
I raced in the 1983 Red Zinger Mini Classic in Colorado with a kid from Brooklyn (I think) who, along with his older cousin, were in some fashion sponsored by Stuyvesant. The kid in my age group was riding a stunning Cuevas—built by Francisco, his (I believe) grandfather.
Anyways, I traded my club cycling hat for one of his, amusingly misspelled "Stuyesant" instead of "Stuyvesant"...
Super-cool to have that hat, made even funnier because you misspelled the misspelling. "Stuyuesant".

I went looking for that location using Street View on Google Earth. I wonder if that was an office address because it does not remind me of the Stuyvesant Bike Shop, at all. I was last there 50 years ago, so,... yeah, things change. I remember it was within walking distance of Barney's, a men's clothier, on 7th Avenue & 17th Street.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 03-30-22 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-30-22, 10:24 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 275 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc 5
WNEW FM rock radio station was playing on the radio.
"Where Rock Lives"!
The soundtrack of my teen years (except for weeknights at 9. That was Jean Shepard time on WOR).

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 03-30-22, 11:58 AM
Ausberger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Super-cool to have that hat, made even funnier because you misspelled the misspelling. "Stuyuesant".
A seemingly inevitable cascading misspelling! On reflection, the 1st "misspelling" might be characterized as a mere substitution of the "v" with a "u"...

Saintly Loser in Post #4 said "The shop was on 14th Street and 9th Avenue" which works with the address on the hat.

On further reflection, I now recall that the Stuyvesant riders I raced with were from Queens, not Brooklyn...
Old 03-30-22, 03:50 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 2,842 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by Ausberger
On further reflection, I now recall that the Stuyvesant riders I raced with were from Queens, not Brooklyn...
I lived in Flushing then and rode with a B club loosely affiliated with the Kissena shop. Buddy of mine from Kew Gardens, Billy G. had a custom Cuevas, with a stunning black to smoke grey fade finish.

Last edited by ascherer; 03-30-22 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-30-22, 03:55 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 2,842 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag

I went looking for that location using Street View on Google Earth. I wonder if that was an office address because it does not remind me of the Stuyvesant Bike Shop, at all. I was last there 50 years ago, so,... yeah, things change. I remember it was within walking distance of Barney's, a men's clothier, on 7th Avenue & 17th Street.
The building it was in is gone, and to say the neighborhood has changed 40 years hence is an understatement. I worked nearby in Chelsea and went to Stuyvesant after hours. It was a rough area, I had my radar on high when I left in the dark. Nothing ever happened, but NYC in 1980-81 wasn't exactly peak chill.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 03-30-22, 06:02 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
That whole area was as crummy as the Bowery was back then.
My memory is fuzzy on this because I was little but that liberty inn motel on the westside was a methadone clinic or something like that at the time, I think.
Old 04-22-22, 07:35 PM
hmarcus60

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember Stuyvesant Cycle. Bought all my Campy stuff down there, and my favorite shoes of all time (Nike Triathalon TL-lite shoes) so comfy!! Also would pick up a couple of tubulars whenever I was in lower Manhattan, and even picked up a used Scapin frame and built it up as a bike to take with me when I travelled to jobs out of town. A cool place to go on a Sunday afternoon when I was bored. or needed something. If you knew what you wanted or needed, and was a DIY type of mechanic, a dollar seemed to be able to go a long way. My recollection was that they shut down in '93 and moved to a smaller shop on 22nd street. That shop folded after a few years. I forgot the young lady's name I seemed to deal with most of the time I went there. Great memories and I miss the shop a lot!!
Old 04-22-22, 07:42 PM
hmarcus60

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah yes!!!! The young lady's name was Maria!! Seemed like a great time to be a bike racer. The new equipment can't be touched by the old stuff, but I'm sure that every rider of any era will say that the equipment that they used had a certain charm and a look that the parts that superseded it cannot approach. This thread is just opening up a torrent of nostalgia from my racing days in the 1980's
Old 04-22-22, 09:00 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,288 Times in 2,148 Posts
Originally Posted by hmarcus60
Ah yes!!!! The young lady's name was Maria!! Seemed like a great time to be a bike racer. The new equipment can't be touched by the old stuff, but I'm sure that every rider of any era will say that the equipment that they used had a certain charm and a look that the parts that superseded it cannot approach. This thread is just opening up a torrent of nostalgia from my racing days in the 1980's
-----

for a super-annuated flatal cloud such as meself "the eighties" sounds like "just last week"

-----
Old 09-27-22, 07:08 PM
drumrug
mech

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found a cool long sleeve jersey at my coop today that seems to be from this shop and found this thread after looking it up. Looks like there's a few people here with fond memories of the place. Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to add a pic, but it's white with yellow and red accents with cinelli, Vittoria, Somec, Campagnolo, amd other logos. Pretty cool.
Likes For drumrug:
Old 10-03-22, 01:00 AM
ElmrPhD

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drumrug
I found a cool long sleeve jersey at my coop today that seems to be from this shop and found this thread after looking it up. Looks like there's a few people here with fond memories of the place. Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to add a pic, but it's white with yellow and red accents with cinelli, Vittoria, Somec, Campagnolo, amd other logos. Pretty cool.
To ME...that is super cool.
Bought my SOMEC at the old Stuyvesants bike shop, new, back in 1987. Raced the hell out of it in the South East, took it for a trip in England and in the Alps, took it back to Europe when I moved here and now that bike is with my in-laws, waiting for me to return to Singapore. That SOMEC has been around, and is still 100% Italian.

Thanks for letting us know about your awesome find.
Old 10-03-22, 09:05 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by drumrug
...Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to add a pic....
Welcome to the forum. Photo assist....
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-04-22, 04:18 PM
mgwilder

Bikes: 2009 BMC Team Machine, 2012 Jamis Supernova

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I grew up in Central NJ and my buddy and I had our shops we would go to. I bought my Colnago Super frameset at Conrad's on the east side (before the Tudor City location). Conrad actually fitted me. I think he bought his aero Colnago w/Campy SR at Stuyvesant. My other buddy wanted to ride and bought an Atalia there. Spent a lot of money at Stuyvesant, wool jerseys, shoes, Campy parts, Modolo aero levers...it was endless. That's when you could drive in and park right on 14th without issue.

I remember Maria and those huge wooden rollers as well. Ah, good times.
Old 02-24-23, 05:26 PM
rsmarion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FBinNY, any chance your memory is fantastic and you remember whether Stuyvesant Bikes was less common Atala bikes? I have a Turista 5 that I need to see and have a bit of intel that it may have been purchased there. I'd love to know more about the model and its value.
Fingers crossed! Thanks.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I worked there for 5 years starting in the late sixties. We were on East 11th street, then moved to west 13th. Some time in the late seventies or early eighties their wholesale entity went bankrupt, and one of the brothers opened a smaller store farther west for his daughter and nephew. That closed a few years later, and there is no remaining entity.

I'm very familiar with the details through when I left in 1973, and pretty familiar with what came later, though with time lots of that faded.
Old 02-25-23, 10:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Originally Posted by rsmarion
FBinNY, any chance your memory is fantastic and you remember..... I'd love to know more about the model and its value.
Fingers crossed! Thanks.
I can't tell you much by way of specifics but if it helps, you can date Atalas by serial number. They were formatted starting with a 2 digit year of production.

I do remember(somwhat) 5s Turistas from the very late sixties through early seventies. IIRC the most popular color was yellow w/green, and they had Campy Valentino RD and hubs & Weinmann or Barilla C-pull brakes.

At the time Stuyvesant was the exclusive importer and both retailed and wholesaled them.

As for current value, I have absolutely no idea, since I've never tracked that kind of stuff.
Old 02-27-23, 09:30 AM
rsmarion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I can't tell you much by way of specifics but if it helps, you can date Atalas by serial number. They were formatted starting with a 2 digit year of production.

I do remember(somwhat) 5s Turistas from the very late sixties through early seventies. IIRC the most popular color was yellow w/green, and they had Campy Valentino RD and hubs & Weinmann or Barilla C-pull brakes.

At the time Stuyvesant was the exclusive importer and both retailed and wholesaled them.

As for current value, I have absolutely no idea, since I've never tracked that kind of stuff.
FBinNY, You've officially blown my mind. What a great memory!
The bike is a '71--a cheery red. You are spot on about the RD (CAMPAGNOLO VALENTINO EXTRA) and brakes (Weinmann C-pull). So you've clarified not one but two questions: where the bike came from and that it is still relatively intact.

I'm really grateful for this information. Thank you!!!
Old 03-15-23, 08:44 PM
DinoKall8860

Bikes: Bicycle Campy,Raleigh, and mini bike collector

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Salvatore Corso

My name is Dino (Greek) and I worked at Sty. Bicycle Shop from 1975-1978 on the second floor as a mechanic. Sal took a shine to me as soon as me met me and asked me when I wanted to start. I'll never forget that opportunity. My response as an eager kid was "Right Now!" He was taken back and simple told me to start fresh Monday. I worked side by side with Sal's son Louie Corso and daughter Marie Corso. I have fond memories that shaped my adolescences. The kind of schooling you get working at a bicycle shop is unique to those who've experienced it. Especially working in Manhattan those days, being a teen boy making friends and seeing what beauty the city had to offer.

It came natural to me to be good at repairs and Sal acknowledged and commended me many times. Giving me confidence as I grew.

I became close with Gino Ricardo and his father Guido Ricardo (Italian). (Who worked on the first floor, left side of the store in his own cubby) In my entire life I have yet to ever meet a master mechanic with bicycles like Guido. It was as if he was taken out of the Campagnolo factory line and brought straight to styvasent. I would watch him braze on fork legs onto bicycles that riders would bump rear car bumpers. On his sundays off, I would be called down by Salesman George Diaz to cover Guidos repair booth, an extremely high honor to me. I was so fascinated by working on bicycles at the store I recall a time I was forgotten on the second floor and I was locked in the store with the gates rolled down. Someone had to come back to unlock the doors and let me out.

At lunch time I would run to Stromboli's pizza on University Place and like clock work, Sal's nose would sense it. It was comical how he would come to me and with a handy knife in hand he would say to me " I just want a little piece, a little corner piece." This happened so frequently I also offered to get him a slice and he was so modest about not wanting a whole slice but just that little corner. He never took a whole slice even when I would bring him his own. Of course that was then and NY pizza has never tasted so good.

A few names I want to throw out and hopefully someone can write back to the forum about any updates on their whereabouts are:

George Diaz **took me to little feet concert at the Bottom theater

Bruce ( Salesman)

George Clement

Willy

Sal's brother ( Louie Corso)

John ( the eyes for Sal)

***FUN FACT: So you know not only did Sal's store sell road track racing bikes, but also they sold and distributed the Touring Raleigh bicycles ***the ones made in NOTTINGHAM ENGLAND

A big seller!

Reading and writing about these times really brought a joy to me. I still work on bicycles but of course mainly to my personal collection of vintage bicycles out of my repair shop in Queens NY.

***I'm having issues uploading photos but I will get back to at another time.
Likes For DinoKall8860:
Old 03-16-23, 07:21 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 141 Posts
Was the bike store on 14 St between 1st & 2nd Ave (around the block from Stuyvesant HS) Stuyvesant Bicycles? I keep reading Stuy Bike was on west 14. I spent a lot of time there after class in the early 70's.
Old 03-16-23, 07:43 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Originally Posted by dmark
Was the bike store on 14 St between 1st & 2nd Ave (around the block from Stuyvesant HS) Stuyvesant Bicycles? I keep reading Stuy Bike was on west 14. I spent a lot of time there after class in the early 70's.
No, Stuyvesant Bike was on 11th between 1st & A, around the corner from D' Roberto's Pastry.

They were there for eons until about 1970 when they moved to 13th street off 5th Ave.

The shop on 14th was originally the retail home of the Peugeot importer until it was sold to Bob Denison, aka Denco.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-16-23, 08:04 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 703 Posts
Originally Posted by DinoKall8860

Reading and writing about these times really brought a joy to me. I still work on bicycles but of course mainly to my personal collection of vintage bicycles out of my repair shop in Queens NY.
Dino,
Welcome and your old city stories are great. Assuming your shop is in business, where is it located?

Brent,
Whitestone, NY
Old 03-16-23, 09:25 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Related: Corso

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5280330872500/
Old 03-16-23, 09:27 AM
dmark 

FBinNY:
Thanks for explaining 14 St.
Old 03-16-23, 12:09 PM
rsmarion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dino, These stories are great. You create a really rich picture of your time at Stuyvesant Bikes--love the detail of Sal and his little corner of pizza.
And I love what you say here about how the skills and recognition you gained built confidence at such an important time in your life. Thank you for sharing!
Rene

Originally Posted by DinoKall8860
My name is Dino (Greek) and I worked at Sty. Bicycle Shop from 1975-1978 on the second floor as a mechanic. Sal took a shine to me as soon as me met me and asked me when I wanted to start. I'll never forget that opportunity. My response as an eager kid was "Right Now!" He was taken back and simple told me to start fresh Monday. I worked side by side with Sal's son Louie Corso and daughter Marie Corso. I have fond memories that shaped my adolescences. The kind of schooling you get working at a bicycle shop is unique to those who've experienced it. Especially working in Manhattan those days, being a teen boy making friends and seeing what beauty the city had to offer.

It came natural to me to be good at repairs and Sal acknowledged and commended me many times. Giving me confidence as I grew.

I became close with Gino Ricardo and his father Guido Ricardo (Italian). (Who worked on the first floor, left side of the store in his own cubby) In my entire life I have yet to ever meet a master mechanic with bicycles like Guido. It was as if he was taken out of the Campagnolo factory line and brought straight to styvasent. I would watch him braze on fork legs onto bicycles that riders would bump rear car bumpers. On his sundays off, I would be called down by Salesman George Diaz to cover Guidos repair booth, an extremely high honor to me. I was so fascinated by working on bicycles at the store I recall a time I was forgotten on the second floor and I was locked in the store with the gates rolled down. Someone had to come back to unlock the doors and let me out.

At lunch time I would run to Stromboli's pizza on University Place and like clock work, Sal's nose would sense it. It was comical how he would come to me and with a handy knife in hand he would say to me " I just want a little piece, a little corner piece." This happened so frequently I also offered to get him a slice and he was so modest about not wanting a whole slice but just that little corner. He never took a whole slice even when I would bring him his own. Of course that was then and NY pizza has never tasted so good.

A few names I want to throw out and hopefully someone can write back to the forum about any updates on their whereabouts are:

George Diaz **took me to little feet concert at the Bottom theater

Bruce ( Salesman)

George Clement

Willy

Sal's brother ( Louie Corso)

John ( the eyes for Sal)

***FUN FACT: So you know not only did Sal's store sell road track racing bikes, but also they sold and distributed the Touring Raleigh bicycles ***the ones made in NOTTINGHAM ENGLAND

A big seller!

***I'm having issues uploading photos but I will get back to at another time.
Likes For rsmarion:
Old 03-18-23, 02:58 AM
DinoKall8860

Bikes: Bicycle Campy,Raleigh, and mini bike collector

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Hello again,

I built a bike shop in my backyard as a hobby. I'm soon going to post pictures for those bike enthusiasts but I believe I have to post 10 threads before I'm allowed to post photos. I am in Elmhurst Queens, not too far from you.
Likes For DinoKall8860:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.