Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Adapting to a Below the Knee Amputation

Old 07-04-22, 01:23 PM
IceTee2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Adapting to a Below the Knee Amputation

I'm a 74 Type 1 diabetic and had a BK amputation severall years ago. Since then I've been riding a recumbent trike and while I enjoy it I would like to get back to a regular DF bike. I currently use Shimano Click'r pedals (SPDs with softer tension springs). Here's the thing, if I use the same pedals on a DF I worry about my ability to get out of the pedal quickly enough not to fall if I need to do an emergency stop. I'm looking for experience of others in my situation if possible. Thanks in advance for your time and comments.
Likes For IceTee2:
Old 07-04-22, 01:31 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2180 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
I can't answer your question, but I will say that I'm inspired by your love of cycling!
Likes For Nessism:
Old 07-07-22, 12:49 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I am LBKA.

In my own case I utilized Eggbeaters simply due to how much easier they are to get out of. Even with that aspect, I have to always unclip with my right foot and get it on the ground before I can unclip my left, regardless. I had to adjust my cleat such that it would not inadvertently come unclipped while riding and particularly for the rare case that I stand and peddle. The biggest issue to come of that was that I have to twist my leg (prosthetic) inwards, towards the chain stay to unclip.
This wasn't a really big deal while riding solo as I had plenty of room to maneuver, stop where I needed to be able to facilitate doing so safely. As I started to participate in more group rides and events I ran across several situations where I was unable to unclip as quickly as I needed and nearly hurt myself and others as a result. Additionally, sometimes conditions of the road such as grade at a stop sign and such things created a situation in which I could not get both feet clipped back in and going without losing speed and or falling over.

I actually moved into riding a recumbent trike for a while simply due to how much safer it was for me, but also realized the limitations of those conveyances pretty quickly...such as a curb and such.

I swapped over to riding large platforms with "Vans" (Airwalk, and other similar skating and biking shoes). Not only did it make walking around while just out and about on the bike easier, but it also made where I wasn't physically attached to a bike that I might not be able to bail from when needed. Obviously, you will have to find your own happy space there. The only time I currently ride with cleats is on my road bike for solo adventures, and also would note that I use what would be considered 'MTB' shoes due to having a recessed cleat mount. Walking on a cleat is super sketchy on a prothesis.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 07-07-22 at 12:53 PM.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 07-07-22, 12:56 PM
OdaHumanity

Bikes: youtube.com/cortreetv

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nessism
I can't answer your question, but I will say that I'm inspired by your love of cycling!
ditto!
I love to hand-cycle and hope that this love and passion will remain when I am 70
Likes For OdaHumanity:
Old 07-08-22, 01:45 PM
IceTee2

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You might want to look at the Shimano PD-T421 with CT5 shoes. The shoes utilize the recessed cleats. I st my shoe/cleat relationship a few degrees out from the centerline, i.e. the toe is pointing slightly out and my heel still clears the crank arm by about 1/2". This WAS my normal setting prior to the amputation. I can release by twisting my heel outward. I believe these pedals have about 6 degrees of float. The shoes are quite comfortable ride and walk in. Not the latest 'super-zoom' style but then againI'm not a slave to fashion. I've got a lot invested in the trike, Ice Sprint X, so I'll keep enjoying cycling on a reclined padded seat with three wheels. Take care...
Old 07-10-22, 01:43 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Thanks, yes I sold our trikes a few years back basically due to a lack of a good place (at the time) to ride them. We live near a city with over 90 miles of golf cart path, but they were in a serious state of disrepair with root heave and potholes. Just about the moment I sold the trikes, they repaved them all.

To be fair, picking them up and loading them on the back of the truck was becoming a bit much as well. Riding them on the road here is out of the question. I don't even ride my DF out on the roads around here any longer. Too many people too obsessed with paying attention to the phone instead of the road and even worse, a higher propensity of people that even though they are paying attention would rather buzz and/or hit you just because. Unfortunately, a combination of factors has led to me not riding at all and being in the worst shape of my life right now.
Old 07-11-22, 02:35 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Thanks, yes I sold our trikes a few years back basically due to a lack of a good place (at the time) to ride them. We live near a city with over 90 miles of golf cart path, but they were in a serious state of disrepair with root heave and potholes. Just about the moment I sold the trikes, they repaved them all.

To be fair, picking them up and loading them on the back of the truck was becoming a bit much as well. Riding them on the road here is out of the question. I don't even ride my DF out on the roads around here any longer. Too many people too obsessed with paying attention to the phone instead of the road and even worse, a higher propensity of people that even though they are paying attention would rather buzz and/or hit you just because. Unfortunately, a combination of factors has led to me not riding at all and being in the worst shape of my life right now.
I can bust on GA because every single member of my family (except me) lives there. I can't say I blame you for not wanting to ride a bike there but, if I lived there, I would (have to) ride a bike. And I would survive it. But, the real point here is: you don't seriously need me or anyone else to tell you that there are other ways of staying in shape besides riding a bike! A good rowing machine is cheaper than a good bike and is better exercise actually. When I ride a bike its to go somewhere. I haven't ridden a bike for fun, or for staying fit, in decades. I lift weights, Row and Elliptical machine so that I CAN ride an 11mi round trip in good time for commute purposes. The smallest efficiency apartment can have a rowing machine and/or elliptical machine, or treadmill for cardio and calorie management. I won't go down the rabbit hole of cardio exercise vs diet for calorie management. Now, you go do you, but I did my due diligence. You have heard the truth of your situation. Good luck.
Old 07-11-22, 02:37 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by IceTee2
You might want to look at the Shimano PD-T421 with CT5 shoes. The shoes utilize the recessed cleats. I st my shoe/cleat relationship a few degrees out from the centerline, i.e. the toe is pointing slightly out and my heel still clears the crank arm by about 1/2". This WAS my normal setting prior to the amputation. I can release by twisting my heel outward. I believe these pedals have about 6 degrees of float. The shoes are quite comfortable ride and walk in. Not the latest 'super-zoom' style but then againI'm not a slave to fashion. I've got a lot invested in the trike, Ice Sprint X, so I'll keep enjoying cycling on a reclined padded seat with three wheels. Take care...
You have made the wiser choice IMO. Peace.
Old 07-11-22, 02:39 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I can bust on GA because every single member of my family (except me) lives there. I can't say I blame you for not wanting to ride a bike there but, if I lived there, I would (have to) ride a bike. And I would survive it. But, the real point here is: you don't seriously need me or anyone else to tell you that there are other ways of staying in shape besides riding a bike! A good rowing machine is cheaper than a good bike and is better exercise actually. When I ride a bike its to go somewhere. I haven't ridden a bike for fun, or for staying fit, in decades. I lift weights, Row and Elliptical machine so that I CAN ride an 11mi round trip in good time for commute purposes. The smallest efficiency apartment can have a rowing machine and/or elliptical machine, or treadmill for cardio and calorie management. I won't go down the rabbit hole of cardio exercise vs diet for calorie management. Now, you go do you, but I did my due diligence. You have heard the truth of your situation. Good luck.

Thanks. Do you charge for this advice Capt Obvious, or is it free with membership?
Old 07-11-22, 03:03 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Thanks. Do you charge for this advice Capt Obvious, or is it free with membership?
It's on the house as per usual ...
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 07-11-22, 10:02 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
A huge tip of the hat for the courage required to ride. My dad was a double amputee, one above and one below the knee. It still amazes me that he hunted and was as active as anyone I know, its much tougher than one thinks.. Thanks for the inspiration and god bless..
Old 07-23-22, 12:09 PM
AmputeeBiker

Bikes: Novarra Randonee, IronHorse Excelsior Race

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IceTee2
I'm a 74 Type 1 diabetic and had a BK amputation severall years ago. Since then I've been riding a recumbent trike and while I enjoy it I would like to get back to a regular DF bike. I currently use Shimano Click'r pedals (SPDs with softer tension springs). Here's the thing, if I use the same pedals on a DF I worry about my ability to get out of the pedal quickly enough not to fall if I need to do an emergency stop. I'm looking for experience of others in my situation if possible. Thanks in advance for your time and comments.
I'm a left BKA and just started riding again in April (lost my leg in 2009; at that time, I was an avid cyclist). I use SPD clips and always clip in my right/good foot. I have dual purpose pedals -- clip in on one side, flat on the other (Shimano M324's). I usually use the flat side with my left foot but am practicing clipping in and out. Like another responder here, I have to twist my heel inward (toward the chain) to unclip the prosthetic -- I can manage but worry that I won't be quick enough when I need to be.

I'll continue to practice when I can but for now am riding with the flat side up for my prosthetic.