Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 08:55 PM
zoodude
Internal gears FTW!

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Reliant, 2010 Schwinn Sporterra NX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
It's that time of year again

very nice! how's the alfine in the cold?
Old 01-04-10, 09:26 PM
Oscuro

Bikes: LHT, International, 310

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Finally took some fresh pics of my bikes:

First, what I've been commuting on lately:

Miyata 310, all orignal except consumables (Though I got it with everything....)
Currently in the process of taking it off the road for a bit, to be replaced by:

Mid 80s or something Norco Bush Pilot. Hi Tensile steel, and just spots of surface rust. Everything works beautifully (well, as to be expected from something low end...). Paid an obscene amount for it (too much), but I could re-coup the cost easily if I feel like selling it next fall for University season.

Problem is, damned thing is hilarious to ride! I can't wait until I can get fenders on the stupid thing, and I have the brown tail to proove it!

Anyways, winter gear? I live in Victoria, B.C. Canada. I haven't seen more than 3 snow flakes this year. All we've been getting is rain, and I'm too lazy to dress for it. I wear jeans, and a orange MEC hoodie, with a long-sleeve t-shirt under that. Always warm, just sometimes wet.
Old 01-06-10, 10:00 PM
Tigel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I finally made my first non bmx racing bike. I stripped everything and cleaned/lubed. Bought new tires and inner tubes. Found the brakes, seat, peddles and shifter for 3$ each at a flea market brand new. I bought the handlebar tape and did it myself. It was pretty easy after a few you tube tutorials. This was also my first wiring job. It was easy as expected but very enjoyable too. Everything else is stock. I wish I knew what year this Schwinn was. It's old.

I actually haven't rode this yet because the streets in Minneapolis aren't the greatest for a noob commuter who still isn't used to the streets. (actually I just got here today, so I'm not comfortable just yet!)

Old 01-06-10, 10:09 PM
mikesova

Bikes: 2002 Giant Yukon Commuterized

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My "hybrid commuter"

2002 Giant Yukon

I bought this bike new in '02 and road it for recreation and for commuting to college. I decided to pull it out and give it a full on commuter conversion this winter so I can use it this spring/summer/fall to ride to work and ride for fitness. I replaced the knobbies with some 1.95" Kenda slicks, added some Avenir rear panniers, rear rack, and clip on fenders. I also added a nashbar front rack and frame bag. I'm a sucker for storage. I want this to replace my car for around town activities. I can't wait to use it.
Old 01-06-10, 10:46 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigel
Well, I finally made my first non bmx racing bike. I stripped everything and cleaned/lubed. Bought new tires and inner tubes. Found the brakes, seat, peddles and shifter for 3$ each at a flea market brand new. I bought the handlebar tape and did it myself. It was pretty easy after a few you tube tutorials. This was also my first wiring job. It was easy as expected but very enjoyable too. Everything else is stock. I wish I knew what year this Schwinn was. It's old.

I actually haven't rode this yet because the streets in Minneapolis aren't the greatest for a noob commuter who still isn't used to the streets. (actually I just got here today, so I'm not comfortable just yet!)
Looks to be a Chicago made electroforged Schwinn... there is an online database for serial numbers that will pin down the bike's year of manufacture.

https://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday...innCodes1.html

https://www.re-cycle.com/history/Schw...nB_Serial.aspx
Old 01-07-10, 03:30 PM
brazo_fuerte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Specialized Crosstrail

I just found this site a few days ago, so this is my first official post. It's not equipped to be a commuter just yet, but I couldn't wait to post a pic of my new Crosstrail!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CIMG4873.jpg (97.6 KB, 92 views)
Old 01-07-10, 09:28 PM
CFXMarauder
Bikus Commuterus

Bikes: Trek 820, Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Myself and the Trek 820 (AKA: Lead Sled)Taken today at the 14 mile mark of the Jacksonville / Baldwin Rail Trail..Use her to commute the 4.5 miles to work 5 days a week...Just over 1700 miles on her now......

Old 01-07-10, 10:12 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
It's that time of year again
I'm diggin' that Raleigh. Nice.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-07-10, 10:15 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigel
I wish I knew what year this Schwinn was. It's old.
There should be a serial number on the head tube that begins with two letters. The first letter is the month of manufacture; the second is the year. My Varsity begins with CJ which means March of 1973. Count up or down started from J = 1973 and you can figure out the year.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-08-10, 12:03 AM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brazo_fuerte
I just found this site a few days ago, so this is my first official post. It's not equipped to be a commuter just yet, but I couldn't wait to post a pic of my new Crosstrail!
Welcome! I've always liked the looks of those Crosstrails. Nice acquisition! My advice - invest in a good u-lock and use your cable lock as a back-up only. Search the threads for info on what type of lock to buy.
Old 01-08-10, 09:26 AM
brazo_fuerte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by irclean
Welcome! I've always liked the looks of those Crosstrails. Nice acquisition! My advice - invest in a good u-lock and use your cable lock as a back-up only. Search the threads for info on what type of lock to buy.
Thanks for the tip. My workplace has an indoor parking area for bikes, so the cable lock is what I use at work. It sends the message to my coworkers that I trust them, but not completely. ;-) There are a couple people here that don't even lock their bikes at all.
Old 01-09-10, 01:57 PM
TamaraEden

Bikes: TREK WSD 7000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I was in Aylmer/Ottawa over winter break I saw a handful of hardcore cyclists/commuters in the snow. I have to just say you guys have my most respect I don't know how you do it! If nothing else, on days when I don't want to ride my 1.5 miles to work here in almost always sunny California, I'll think of you and not let myself be so damn lazy
Old 01-09-10, 01:59 PM
martytardy
Bike Freak

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buck65
Had a good year so I decided to splurge. I stripped all the parts off of my LHT and installed them on my new Hillborne frame set. I'm pretty pleased because there's less frame flex in this one and the bike is about 25 pounds as shown (compared to my LHT at 28 pounds).

The fenders are the SKS chromoplastics with VO mounting hardware. It took a while to "modify" things (lots of drilling and removing of parts on the interior of the SKS fenders) but eventually paid off because they're completely silent, pretty durable, and look half decent.
beautiful bike. kind of wish it was mine.
Old 01-10-10, 10:17 AM
HatchetHabits
Hatchet Habits

Bikes: Frankenbike road, Frankenbike mtn/bad wether rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
getting ready to leave for work:
Old 01-10-10, 06:12 PM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
recently got a new trunk bag from nashbar, decided i should post a newer photo of my bike. darn thing is bigger than i expected too, i could do daytrips & possibly weekenders with it, not just commute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike with new trunk.jpg (96.8 KB, 134 views)
Old 01-10-10, 10:44 PM
2su

Bikes: Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where she sleeps at night... kinda dirty from the last few days of snow/salt/sludge - gonna clean up some of the junk before I leave for work tomorrow morning

Old 01-10-10, 10:53 PM
TamaraEden

Bikes: TREK WSD 7000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like the windshield when I was in Ottawa a week ago. Salt and mess...yuck! I still am shocked people WANT to ride in wet, sludgey, snowy and salty roads

Originally Posted by 2su
Where she sleeps at night... kinda dirty from the last few days of snow/salt/sludge - gonna clean up some of the junk before I leave for work tomorrow morning

Old 01-10-10, 10:59 PM
2su

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the straps that holds my front fender on fell off on the way to school saturday... so I had to ride w/o it and the front end got sprayed a bit. Salt is such a pain in the ass. Gonna take it to this shop on the way home from work tomorrow and have it hosed down.

We're supposed to have decent weather for the next week or so... may even get above freezing!
Old 01-10-10, 11:07 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2su
We're supposed to have decent weather for the next week or so... may even get above freezing!
Oh, that transitional period is what I hate the most. If it just stays below freezing all the time, old snow and ice stay put and don't bother anyone. When it's just warm enough to melt in the daytime, it starts getting wet everywhere again, then after it re-freezes overnight, there's fresh, smooth ice waiting around every corner.
Old 01-11-10, 08:48 AM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
This global warming is starting payoff here MT. High 40's all week. I need some suntan lotion.
Old 01-11-10, 04:46 PM
zoodude
Internal gears FTW!

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Reliant, 2010 Schwinn Sporterra NX8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i heart the jamis sputnik!
Old 01-12-10, 10:53 AM
2su

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zoodude
i heart the jamis sputnik!
me too. such a blast to ride. I'm limited in what I can take on my commutes but I pack lightly/efficiently and have no complaints.
Old 01-12-10, 09:18 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by buck65
Had a good year so I decided to splurge. I stripped all the parts off of my LHT and installed them on my new Hillborne frame set. I'm pretty pleased because there's less frame flex in this one and the bike is about 25 pounds as shown (compared to my LHT at 28 pounds).
So, Buck, you have a stripped LHT frame, I take it... Is it available?
Old 01-14-10, 10:23 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
1980 Schwinn Traveler

My Schwinn Traveler is ready for its first commute tomorrow. I put on new gumwalls, Brooks B-17, and replaced the stem shifters with 600 downtube shifters.

Old 01-14-10, 11:01 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Tonight at the shop we had a pair of Kuwahara Shastas that have both been re-fitted (as fixed gear bikes) to deal with our winter weather and a third Kuwahara escaped before we could snap a picture.

The blue and grey one is my U.A.V. and the other belongs to Finn... the work was minor as he needed a new cone locknut and i swapped out my bb to get a better chain line.

It was nice to hang out in a warm and cozy shop this evening even though there was so very little to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.