Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shim 105 STI Lever and Canti breaks

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-15-20, 09:50 PM
Dord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I have Shim 105 levers to install on a 11sp Shim drivetrain.

I have a new fork thats a caliper/canti/disc combo and a new frame that is only canti. I've seen some posts about drilling the hole to accept rim on a frame but the reach would need to be almost 70mm.

Does anyone have any recommendations about what canti breaks I can use on the rear wheel?! There is a lot of conflicting info about.

This is my first build and I have definitely made some mistakes already without actually getting around to the building with my decision on frames etc etc. So I would like to see if I can make this work before considering switching out the frame!

Many thanks for the help!!
Old 04-15-20, 10:04 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
By: "Shim," I assume you mean Shimano.
By: "Breaks," I assume you mean brakes.

If I have the correct understanding:
Cantilever brakes have the same pull ratio as road brake levers as road disc brakes...So yes, all your parts road Shimano 105, road disc brakes, cantilever brakes, road caliper brakes are compatible & will work together.

Shimano BR-CT91 are about $14. For the rear, this is a given.
For the front, since you have the option, I like TRP Spyre. But another BR-CT91 would work. Pick according to your wheel.

Where you run into issues is with linear pull v-brakes, mountain disc brakes & road brake levers. Not enough lever travel to to make pads contact & still have enough to actually brake with. Or vice/versa with road brakes & mountain levers. Super firm brake & not enough leverage to effect a stop.

Neither is your case.
Install & have fun.

Last edited by base2; 04-15-20 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-15-20, 10:15 PM
Dord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
By: "Shim," I assume you mean Shimano.
By: "Breaks," I assume you mean brakes.

If I have the correct understanding:
Cantilever brakes have the same pull ratio as road brake levers as road disc brakes...So yes, all your parts road Shimano 105, road disc brakes, cantilever brakes, road caliper brakes are compatible & will work together.

Where you run into issues is with linear pull v-brakes, mountain disc brakes & road brake levers. Not enough lever travel to to make pads contact & still have enough to actually brake with. Or vice/versa with road brakes & mountain levers. Super firm brake & not enough leverage to effect a stop.

Neither is your case.
Install & have fun.
Thanks Base. You were correct in deciphering my abbreviation and typo. Good info re linear pull.

I shall look for some Shimano canti brakes and enjoy!