Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Blogger's Forum
Reload this Page >

Experience with carousell seller - number1cycle

Notices
Blogger's Forum Whether it's a cycling blog, or just your personal page, this is the place to share ideas and links.

Old 07-04-21, 07:27 PM
dh1010

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just wanted to share my nightmare experience with members of this forum so that everyone will be cautious and not fallen into the same trap.

I was browsing through the web searching for bike servicing package and I came across this posting on Carousell by number1cycle. So I contacted Chua Hua Jie via WhatsApp on 8 June 2021 to discuss the service packages and upgrades for my two Trinx 20” bikes, which I was quoted S$550 for two set of Litepro carbon straight bar, Litepro Carbon seat post, Litepro Crankset 50T and Advanced servicing include ultrasonic servicing. I think the price is reasonable as I know nothing about bicycle and I did not go around comparing the price. He told me the lead time was about 1 to 1.5 weeks as he has to order the parts and I fully paid the amount.

While waiting for the parts to arrive, I asked him if he able to customize bike and he shared with me that he built up a 16” Fnhon Gust bike for his family member and it was only 8+kg. He also told me that it will be a wise choice to custom built a bike rather than spending money again to upgrade it and his supplier has all the genuine parts. In additional, he showed me photos of his work to gain trust. We started to list down all the light weight parts that I prefer and he even came down to my place to collect the deposit for my custom bike so that he could proceed the order with his supplier. During the communication, I did realize that most of the items he quoted me was more expensive than Lazada or Shopee but he told me that his supplier’s parts are authentic and the supplier will provide warranty if it was faulty.

Here was the list of parts that I have choosen for my custom 16” Fnhon disc brake bike. The initial total price quoted was S$3087 without installation fee of S$150 and I have paid more than 80% deposit.
  • Fnhon Gust 16” Black Gold Special Edition Frame (Disc Brake)
  • Litepro Gold headset 44mm
  • Litepro Curve Banana Handlepost
  • Litepro M carbon bar
  • Litepro Carbon Seatpost
  • LITEPRO ULTRALIGHT seatpost clamp gold
  • Ergon GA3 Lock Grip
  • Silverock carbon fork
  • ICAN Carbon trispoke wheelset (Disc Brake)
  • Tyres and inner tubes- Continental Contact Urban 16 in Pair, 4 sets of Schwalbe SV4
  • Drive chain (Crankset, Pedal)- KMC X11EL GOLD
  • Shimano R8000 11-28 cassette
  • Shimano R8000 rear derailleur
  • Shimano RS700 shifter
  • Shimano MT200 hydraulic disc brakes and bleeding
  • Shimano Deore Disc brake rotor pair 6 gold bolts
  • Shimano pro stealth 152mm Saddle with Carbon Rail
  • Bolany feather crankset with bb
  • Stone Chainring 50T with gold bolts
  • Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 bottom bracket
  • Bolany crankset golden bolts 5pcs
My disappointment began when the parts started to arrive at Hua Jie’s place in blk 911 Hougang st 91 (number1cycle). The ICAN wheelset that he ordered does not come with skewers, missing M5 nuts for the crankset and his supplier also sent him a V-brake Fnhon frame (without handlepost, seatpost protector and RD hanger) instead of a disc brake frame. But I still gave him the benefit of doubts and I paid extra to buy a new set of skewers and another new disc brake Fnhon frame (S$480) as I wanted to help this young National Service guy out because I know start-up is not easy.

My real nightmare began went I collected my two Trinx bikes on 28 June after leaving it with Hua Jie for 3 days. My wife saw the bikes and asked me why the two Trinx bikes still appeared dirty after advance servicing by number1cycle. I feedback this to him. He told me that he had forgotten and willing to refund S$180 to me for the two Trinx bikes’ servicing, but since I don’t trust him anymore, he will not proceed to custom my Fnhon bike. He wanted me to respect his decision and demand me to pay up the remaining $500 so that I can collect the rest of the items including the wrong Fnhon frame due to his supplier mistake or paid him a mechanic fee of S$150 for all his time spent in communicating with me and ordering the parts for me then collect the rest of the items without the wrong Fnhon Frame. He is not responsible for any of the parts that his supplier sent him wrongly. If I want, I can go and contact his supplier myself. I left with no choice, but have to pay up and head down to his place to collect all my items on 2 July. When I arrived at his place, he placed all the items on the table for me to do the inventory count and asked me to carry the items one-by-one to my car as he does not have a box nor a plastic bag for me. I have kept my cool without arguing nor making a huge fuss with him or his family. To my horror again, when I brought all the items to another bicycle mechanic immediately and the mechanic showed me that there was a few parts missing from the list – a ring in the Litepro headset (not complete set), Litepro seatpost clamp and one box of RISK titanium M5 screws that I passed him. I WhatsApp Hua Jie to let him know and his reply to me is that he will not entertain me as I have counted the parts at his place before I leave.

I can only blame myself for being bad luck to have met this kind of seller on Carousell and I really do not want to see anybody else get into the same situation as me.
Old 07-04-21, 08:38 PM
shelbyfv
Banned.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2990 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 1,972 Posts
That's a bummer, for sure. Maybe try Trek or Specialized next time. I hear they are decent bikes.
Old 07-04-21, 08:40 PM
dh1010

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
That's a bummer, for sure. Maybe try Trek or Specialized next time. I hear they are decent bikes.
I have learn my lesson.

Just beware of number1cycle on Instagram.