Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

the easiest tool to change a tire that I have seen.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

the easiest tool to change a tire that I have seen.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-22, 03:42 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
Okay, what has changed in the last four or five years that has made replacing tires so damn hard? Is this like cereal manufacturers reducing the contents by mere fractions of an ounce that save them millions over all those packages? Have tire manufacturers subtly reduced the diameter of the tire and bead to shave off a bit of material over thousands of tires to eke out more profit? I had never heard of bead/tire jacks in millennia past to remount a tire. What gives, other than the thumbs! But I have run into the same resistance to remounting, even in the comfort of my home. Field remounting just adds to the "fun!!!"
For perspective, there have been variations on tire levers, bead jacks, tire pliers and the like ever since I can remember, going back to the ‘80s, which tells us the problem of tight tires is not new at all. Has it gotten worse recently? Perhaps; as noted, there is the need for tight tolerances with tubeless, but also the variety of tires and rim designs is greater than it has ever been before, and there are more people putting them all together than ever before, too.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-06-22, 05:03 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
OMG! Want!!! Just take my money! Just take it! go ahead!
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 02-06-22, 06:03 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
OMG! Want!!! Just take my money! Just take it! go ahead!
Back ordered. I guess the plastic supply chain needs a new quick link!
Old 02-06-22, 06:14 PM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselgoat
Timely thread considering I have just been defeated for the first time ever in my battle to mount a tire. The tire is a Continental 5000 and the wheel is a Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3. I have 5000s on the wheels now, but they are worn, so I'm putting on new ones, or so I thought. I recall the original ones were a pain to mount, but after about an hour, I got them mounted. No such luck with these. I've had everything in the house for the last couple of days warming up to room temperature. I've mounted dozens, if not hundreds of tires over the years, so I'm not a rookie. I used every tip I could find, including the Kool Stop Bead Jack, but I cannot get the damn thing mounted. I got it down to the last 8 inches or so right around the valve stem, but when I use the beak jack, all it does is pop it off somewhere else. I can't get any tire levers under the bead. I need four hands. Even got my wife to try to use the bead jack while I held the bead in place and she's not strong enough. Never seen anything like it. I have already punctured two tubes in the process.
Wow, I feel your pain. I have the same rims and the 5Ks are tight, especially if you have the trek tubeless tapes installed. I tried multiple designs of the suggested tool and they were not a lot of help. I did learn to work the slack out of the tire during installation. Also I never start or finish close to the stem as it increases the risk of damaging the tube.

There is a tool that I find helpful due to the shape and size, a Wolftooth. The tool is approx. .5" wide and has a nice radiused curve to the end that"s easy to insert and safer for the tube. This tool works like a normal tire tool but it doubles as a chain link tool and holds a couple spare quick links.
Best Regards
Old 02-06-22, 07:32 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Wishing them all the best with this "better mousetrap", but I'm interested that after 130 years of wire bead tires the inventor thinks at least some part of the Tyre Glider is novel, original and patentable (their website says 'patent pending'.)
Old 02-06-22, 08:15 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Wishing them all the best with this "better mousetrap", but I'm interested that after 130 years of wire bead tires the inventor thinks at least some part of the Tyre Glider is novel, original and patentable (their website says 'patent pending'.)
they are printed it looks like I don't think you can get the detail otherwise.
Old 02-06-22, 08:16 PM
fooferdoggie 

Back ordered. I guess the plastic supply chain needs a new quick link!
here is another source.
https://tyreglider.co.uk/product/pur...he-tyre-lever/
Old 02-06-22, 09:34 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 253 Posts
Gadgets like those come along every few years. Many years ago VAR came out with a cool tire tool and it worked well until it didn't. They would break after a year or so. I guess the plastic wasn't very resilient. That Crank Brothers tool is just another re-incarnation of the original VAR tool.

I keep it simple. I find the thinnest, stoutest and smoothest tire iron and use that. Lately I found Pedro's to be pretty good, although I sand down the edge, the corners and buff the end. With the Pedro's and an old toe strap I can mount any tire quickly, even Challenge tires which are notoriously tight and difficult to mount without pre-stretching.
Old 02-06-22, 09:36 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Okay, what has changed in the last four or five years that has made replacing tires so damn hard? Is this like cereal manufacturers reducing the contents by mere fractions of an ounce that save them millions over all those packages? Have tire manufacturers subtly reduced the diameter of the tire and bead to shave off a bit of material over thousands of tires to eke out more profit? I had never heard of bead/tire jacks in millennia past to remount a tire. What gives, other than the thumbs! But I have run into the same resistance to remounting, even in the comfort of my home. Field remounting just adds to the "fun!!!"
More and more tires are being made to be tubeless compatible, and like one poster mentioned, they are a pain in the arse to mount because they have to be tight to get the best possible seal. I do not have a tubeless set up and nor will I ever go that route, but I did have to put on a pair of Schwalbe Almotion tires on my touring bike and they were designed for a tubeless set up, I got them on without too much trouble, my hands hurt afterwards but I got them on. I did put the tires in my car with the windows up on a 80 degree day, and about 3 hours later they were quite hot, I then put the tire in both hands on one end, and around my feet on the opposite end and pulled as hard as I could, then put them on.

The other thing I forgot to mention to help put them on is baby powder, put baby powder on the sidewalls and they will allow the tire to slide on like soapy water will do. In fact, if you coat the tube with the baby powder it will also allow the tube to slide into the center rim channel a lot easier which will also help get the tire on.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 02-06-22, 09:46 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by drlogik
Gadgets like those come along every few years. Many years ago VAR came out with a cool tire tool and it worked well until it didn't. They would break after a year or so. I guess the plastic wasn't very resilient. That Crank Brothers tool is just another re-incarnation of the original VAR tool.

I keep it simple. I find the thinnest, stoutest and smoothest tire iron and use that. Lately I found Pedro's to be pretty good, although I sand down the edge, the corners and buff the end. With the Pedro's and an old toe strap I can mount any tire quickly, even Challenge tires which are notoriously tight and difficult to mount without pre-stretching.
The VAR breaks after a year or so? Maybe with improper use they do, but mine are at least 25 years old!

I also use the Soma Steel Core tire lever, they don't break in the cold like plastic ones like the Pedro's can; only issue with the Soma Steel Core levers is the plastic coating will wear off after about 10 years, but they're cheap so who cares? A person could recoat the Soma levers if they really want to be cheap with a product sold at home improvement places called Plasti Dip, but this product won't hold up as well as the original plastic that was on the Soma levers. The Soma levers are only $10 for a pair.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 02-06-22, 09:49 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I have a couple of blue VAR levers, but I have a gray one from the late 80’s.

John
Old 02-06-22, 09:57 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I have a couple of blue VAR levers, but I have a gray one from the late 80’s.

John
Mine is gray; mine also came with a flat lever that fit inside the VAR opening which I have never used because I just use other tire levers I already have, plus that tire lever is wide and doesn't work good at all for road tires.
Old 02-07-22, 08:35 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

I came across this site, Rehook.Bike, selling the Tyre Glider as the ReHook Tyre Glider, and they have a video interview with the inventor posted Feb. 2, ‘22. I suppose he licensed rights to ReHook, but I’m not sure what the relationship of the two companies actually is. It also appears there are some construction differences in terms of the molding, with the red Tyre Glider looking much cleaner in the pictures compared to the blue ReHook which has more visible roughness and molding marks, even though it’s about a quid more in price even at their discounted “early bird” pricing, and nearly £3 more at frontline pricing.

I found it mildly troubling that the inventor flubbed his first go with the tool in the video, but then, this is a guy who said a 3 week tire change ordeal spurred him to create Tyre Glider. His logo sweats are kinda nice, though.

Old 02-07-22, 02:46 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I guess I was deceived by the pics, because my TyreGlider-direct tools came today, and they’re red, but have the same molding marks as the blue ReHooks above, so they’re probably the same aside from color.

Tyre Glider tire tools
Old 02-07-22, 02:46 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 253 Posts
The VAR breaks after a year or so? Maybe with improper use they do, but mine are at least 25 years old!
I used them back in the late 70's and early 80's when I worked in a couple of different bike shops. They weren't abused, they were used constantly every day in the shop. We liked them because we could hook them on our pants pocket and have handy. They were the gray model with the lever that fits inside but we didn't use that, just the tag end of the main tool. That is what would snap off after heavy use.
Old 02-07-22, 03:34 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Granted I’m a steely vet now— this vid is my third go with the tool!— but TyreGlider works as-described, and is truly efficient to use. It doesn’t save me a meaningful amount of time necessarily— I’m rushing out the door now, so no time to film a comparison vid— but it does make it no-brainer easy to peel a tire and get the new one one, so I don’t have to deal with fumbling two levers, and I can shelve all the little tricks and techniques for working with traditional levers.

I will make a vid tonight using a couple of levers, just for comparison.

Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-07-22, 06:57 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by chaadster
Granted I’m a steely vet now— this vid is my third go with the tool!— but TyreGlider works as-described, and is truly efficient to use. It doesn’t save me a meaningful amount of time necessarily— I’m rushing out the door now, so no time to film a comparison vid— but it does make it no-brainer easy to peel a tire and get the new one one, so I don’t have to deal with fumbling two levers, and I can shelve all the little tricks and techniques for working with traditional levers.

I will make a vid tonight using a couple of levers, just for comparison.
exactly. man I have been having such a hard time with flats this makes it not a problem anymore. plus its kinda cool.
Old 02-07-22, 09:09 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Okay, well-- haha!-- I just went through a tire changing ordeal, and I'll summarize it to say that Tyre Glider is not a toolbox-killing miracle tool. It works for what it does, but it does not do everything that might need done when mounting and removing tires.

I was sitting on a pair of new American Classic Timekeeper tires which I wanted to put on some on old American Classic Victory30 wheels, and getting the TyreGlider provided the perfect opportunity. The Timekeepers are "tubeless ready" models, but I was planning to put some Aerothan tubes in 'em just because I don't really need another pair of tubeless wheels to look after. I mean, I've run them tubeless in the past, but the bike and this wheelset only get ridden for a couple of months in the spring and few rides in the winter, so it sits a lot, out of sight and out of mind.

Anyhoo, the Timekeepers were crazy tight on the V30s. Like so tight, I couldn't even get the first bead on without a lever. I tried the TG, but the Glider failed as tool for getting the first bead on whereas a regular lever was ace.

In the end, I wound up setting up the TKs tubeless, because the tube didn't seem able to get the beads properly seated. They went up fine tubeless, though, but they're so tight, besides being probably impossible to get a tube in there properly, they may not be worst-case-field-tube-able without a TG. I do have a Stan's Dart plug tool for that bike, so I should be good.

Also, the TG scraped and damaged some of my wheel decals. The lower leading edge and backside edges coud probably use some chamferig.

So yeah, don't throw away your tire levers if you get a Glider, because you might need one sometime!
Old 02-07-22, 10:29 PM
fooferdoggie 

yes I doubt one tool will do everything. though we always hope for that magical tool.
Old 02-08-22, 02:41 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The Crank Brothers tool works very well though I use it only to break the bead at one point of the tire and then work the rest of the way with only my hands. The videos show it being used to go around the entire tire bead but it is not really necessary for any road or mountain bike tire of mine.
Old 02-08-22, 02:50 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts

OK 3D Printer Folks.... Who's got the .stl

Old 02-08-22, 05:09 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Looks like it would catch and tear a latex tube.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 02-08-22, 05:34 PM
Zylar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to order one of this. Looks great.
Old 02-09-22, 01:06 PM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by N2deep
Wow, I feel your pain. I have the same rims and the 5Ks are tight, especially if you have the trek tubeless tapes installed. I tried multiple designs of the suggested tool and they were not a lot of help. I did learn to work the slack out of the tire during installation. Also I never start or finish close to the stem as it increases the risk of damaging the tube.

There is a tool that I find helpful due to the shape and size, a Wolftooth. The tool is approx. .5" wide and has a nice radiused curve to the end that"s easy to insert and safer for the tube. This tool works like a normal tire tool but it doubles as a chain link tool and holds a couple spare quick links.
Best Regards
I finally gave in and took them to the shop to let them mount 'em. I told them to mount them tubeless if they wanted to, because I didn't think they were gonna get a tube in there. They sent me a video later of one of the tires seeping sealant through the sidewall. They said at least that one tire was defective. I got them off eBay. The seller is offering me a full refund. Probably gonna have to try another brand or just not get a tubeless tire.

This is the pic of it. I've got a video of it.
Old 02-11-22, 11:48 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Nice! Crankbrothers has something similar but that one looks easier to use, pressing with the palm. And guys, skip the doofus in the video and go straight to the link. Has all you need to know w/o suffering.

I have this and didn't find it all that useful.

This tool has been great thoughkool stop

Likes For sean.hwy:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.