Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best City to be a Roadie

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best City to be a Roadie

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-07, 11:57 AM
Lenore
... .--. --- -.- . -. / .

Bikes: Jamis Quest, Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best City to be a Roadie

I currently live in Philly and have so ever since I've started road cycling. I think Philadelphia is a great city to go road cycling because there are many people who are enthusiastic about cycling (i.e., there are many bike clubs to join, for the most part a bike-friendly city) and Fairmount Park offers a great way to get out of the city into the suburbs. I hear that in other cities, like NYC, it takes a while (~40 mi), to go road cycling out in the suburbs. Also, it doesn't rain as much as it does as in say... London. Are these accurate claims? or is Philly a terrible place to go road cycling? What other cities offer the best combination of characteristics that are ideal for roadies?
Old 07-31-07, 12:47 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Portland Oregon and surrounding areas. From where I live, I can go 1 mile in several directions and be out in the sticks on the way to the hills, mountains or flats. Or I can go a few miles in one direction and be in the city. Lots of bike lanes and most of the drivers are courteous.

55/Rad
Old 07-31-07, 12:49 PM
casicua
2 Wheels good

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New York City- because I have a death wish. Actually, once you get past the massive potholes, exhaust fumes and cabs with no regard for your wellbeing, it's actually a fun place to ride.
Old 07-31-07, 12:49 PM
drmarthacastro
Cycling Fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San Diego, California. San Diego is considered the road cyclists paradise of the US. Yeeehah!
Old 07-31-07, 12:50 PM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have read in many places, articles and magazines that Portland, OR. is tops...
Old 07-31-07, 01:09 PM
Kenal0

Bikes: Giant OCR 2, Flyte SRS 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chicago- I can leave my house and go one mile in any direction and be on flat roads or flatter roads, traffic and wind are always available as well. Not the kind of wind that is at your back, the kind that no matter which direction you are going it is in your face or pushing you off the road.
Oh yeah don't forget the nice hot 90+days like today where the are is THICK!!

Kenal0
Old 07-31-07, 01:19 PM
SwimBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like my current little spot up here in NH for all the reasons mentioned above. Central NH is great for cycling however the season can be a bit limited as compared to San Diego and work can be tough to come by.
Old 07-31-07, 01:22 PM
i killed judas.
n00b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm gonna take a vote against Philly. For one, SEPTA drivers are completely psychotic whackjobs. I cant explain how many times I have seen them almost completely obliterate cyclists. And it is not just the bike messengers weaving in and out of cars, but the business-people and so-on that are sticking to one lane, stopping completely at lights, etc. Taxi drivers are almost the same. They do not follow the laws and whatnot that taxi drivers are supposed to follow. I am a first-hand victim of this. A taxi was driving by me and slowing down to let a passenger out. Well, the passenger was so kind as to open his door on me and attempt to exit the cab before it had not even come to a complete stop. Now many of you may say, "Oh, well that is the passenger's fault." It is, but it is moreso the cab drivers fault because it is a law that cab drivers must not only be at a complete stop before their passenger exits, but they must make sure it is clear and safe for their passenger to exit the vehicle. But, as we all know, incompetence is not strictly limited to one city, state or even country. As for all other 'recreational' drivers, unless they are a roadie of any sort, they are rather arrogant to cyclists as well. Once you leave Center City, this all diminishes little by little. I still have yet to find a place within a 25 mile radius of Center City that I feel 100% safe and can ride with as much confidence as I ride with in my true home (South Jersey).

That being said, I feel like most places in the Great Plains and the Rockies (Colorado, Utah, Kansas, Wyoming, etc) would be ideal cycling cities. Most people are very outdoor-oriented, and ride themselves, making for a generally more cyclist-conscious and cyclist-educated public.
Old 07-31-07, 01:27 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
I would say Palo Alto and the surrounding suburbs are great. The weather is moderate year round, there's big hills to climb, plenty of backroads with few cars and a huge population of cyclists. San Diego is probably nice too. I love Portland, it's a bike friendly city, but the rain can be a real drag sometimes. I've never been as cold as when I spent a winter in Portland!
Old 07-31-07, 01:28 PM
PSR215

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a ride out in West Philly.In an armed car. The morning news reports make Bagdad look safer.Two or three shootings a night are not uncommon. Yes the city of brotherly love at its finest.However I wouldnt hesitate to ride around Fairmont Park on a Sat afternoon.Nice views paths etc.
Old 07-31-07, 01:30 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I've never lived in Ashville NC, but I would imagine it to be about as close to the ideal as possible.

Beautiful mountains, lots of hilly routes, endless miles of back roads, winters that are 'not too nasty', and only a 5 or 6 hour drive to warm climates in the winter.

I imagine Spartanburg/Greenville SC would offer similar benefits, but with a less appealing ambience / living experience.

Next choices would probably be desert southwest... Tahoe? Or southern California someplace east of the smog.

Best combinations of weather, extended season, and challenging terrain.
Old 07-31-07, 01:34 PM
i killed judas.
n00b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PSR215
Take a ride out in West Philly.In an armed car. The morning news reports make Bagdad look safer.Two or three shootings a night are not uncommon. Yes the city of brotherly love at its finest.However I wouldnt hesitate to ride around Fairmont Park on a Sat afternoon.Nice views paths etc.
this is very true. same goes for North Philly (North of Temple U. Hospital). I would never drive a car through there, let alone ride a bicycle. I go to school at Temple U. but I don't ride any further North than C.B. Moore. Someone was actually shot directly outside of where I was living last year. At 9pm at night next to a crowded movie theater. Kid was 15 years old and took to .9mm bullets to the balls.

Yes, when I say balls, I mean his nutsack, testicles, etc. One would imagine how it would fair afterwards given that the bullets were probably the size of a testicle themselves.
Old 07-31-07, 01:38 PM
Lenore
... .--. --- -.- . -. / .

Bikes: Jamis Quest, Surly Crosscheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by i killed judas.
this is very true. same goes for North Philly (North of Temple U. Hospital). I would never drive a car through there, let alone ride a bicycle. I go to school at Temple U. but I don't ride any further North than C.B. Moore. Someone was actually shot directly outside of where I was living last year. At 9pm at night next to a crowded movie theater. Kid was 15 years old and took to .9mm bullets to the balls.

Yes, when I say balls, I mean his nutsack, testicles, etc. One would imagine how it would fair afterwards given that the bullets were probably the size of a testicle themselves.
wow... maybe i should stop riding around there.
Old 07-31-07, 01:41 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
City? No city is best for roadies. Smooth, lightly traveled roads with nice terrain and scenic beauty are best. Get out of the polluted air and really enjoy yourself.
Old 07-31-07, 01:42 PM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I second the Portland Oregon nomination. I was amazed by the amount of bike lanes and people riding there. Great City for bikes. Eugene Oregon is small but it's even better.
Old 07-31-07, 01:57 PM
i killed judas.
n00b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.phila-tribune.com/channel...6/shooting.asp

for those Philly riders interested.

EDIT* He was 16 yrs old, not 15. And this is on a college campus...
Old 07-31-07, 02:05 PM
yak
Zircon Encrusted Tweezer

Bikes: Pivot Switchblade, SantaCruz Tallboy, SantaCruz Solo, Specialized Fatboy, Trek ProjectOne Madone, Fuji Altamira CX 1.1, Lemond Zurich

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
City? No city is best for roadies. Smooth, lightly traveled roads with nice terrain and scenic beauty are best. Get out of the polluted air and really enjoy yourself.
+1 Ain't no city that's good for roadies
Old 07-31-07, 02:06 PM
benbaconlewis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenore
I currently live in Philly and have so ever since I've started road cycling. I think Philadelphia is a great city to go road cycling because there are many people who are enthusiastic about cycling (i.e., there are many bike clubs to join, for the most part a bike-friendly city) and Fairmount Park offers a great way to get out of the city into the suburbs. I hear that in other cities, like NYC, it takes a while (~40 mi), to go road cycling out in the suburbs. Also, it doesn't rain as much as it does as in say... London. Are these accurate claims? or is Philly a terrible place to go road cycling? What other cities offer the best combination of characteristics that are ideal for roadies?
Doesn't NYC have higher average rainfall than London?
Old 07-31-07, 02:07 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by niknak
I would say Palo Alto and the surrounding suburbs are great. The weather is moderate year round, there's big hills to climb, plenty of backroads with few cars and a huge population of cyclists. San Diego is probably nice too. I love Portland, it's a bike friendly city, but the rain can be a real drag sometimes. I've never been as cold as when I spent a winter in Portland!
+1.

Also:
1. the local college won the NCCA cycling championships this year
2. the Tour of California prologue will be in Palo Alto next year
3. Palo Alto is a gold level "Bicycle Friendly Community": https://www.bicyclefriendlycommunity....ommunities.htm
4. the local PTA is active in encouraging kids to bike to school: https://www.saferoutes.paloaltopta.org/index.shtml
Old 07-31-07, 02:09 PM
benbaconlewis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
I've never lived in Ashville NC, but I would imagine it to be about as close to the ideal as possible.

Beautiful mountains, lots of hilly routes, endless miles of back roads, winters that are 'not too nasty', and only a 5 or 6 hour drive to warm climates in the winter.

I imagine Spartanburg/Greenville SC would offer similar benefits, but with a less appealing ambience / living experience.

Next choices would probably be desert southwest... Tahoe? Or southern California someplace east of the smog.

Best combinations of weather, extended season, and challenging terrain.
Have lived near Asheville and Spartanburg/Greenville and both are awesome places to ride. Good call.
Old 07-31-07, 02:12 PM
shawneebiker

Bikes: Whatever I want

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its definitely not Kansas City.
Old 07-31-07, 02:28 PM
JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I like Franklin, TN (just south of Nashville). Beautiful countryside, lot's of lower traffic areas to ride (including the Natchez Trace), rolling hills (big enough climbs for me, for now ), a nice cycling club (Harpeth Bicycle Club) which I haven't gotten inolved with yet - but I heard they are nice. Lot's of cyclists around here. If I flat I can always count on at least a dozen folks asking me if I'm ok while I'm fixing it. It's been a great place to ride for this newbie!!

Old 07-31-07, 02:41 PM
billallbritten

Bikes: Trek 7500 FX (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnKScott
Hey, I like Franklin, TN (just south of Nashville).
That's a nice area. Nashville is a good city to ride in, too. Percy Warner Park, Belle Meade area, etc. My Bianchi LBS, Granfondo, is near there, and my LD(ive)S is in Franklin. Interesting that my home is 120 miles away in Murray, KY. I'll head for Nashville given any opportunity.

The Harpeth Cycling Club has lots of nice events in the area south of Nashville around Franklin

www.mapmyride.com has some nice rides in your area.

Last edited by billallbritten; 07-31-07 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-31-07, 02:42 PM
indygreg
Duathlete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Indy.
Old 07-31-07, 03:13 PM
grahny
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling in Philly is awesome... I feel blessed every time I make it back home in one piece

That being said, I really want to move to the pacific northwest, or SoCal... someday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.