Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.
View Poll Results: Who is MOST likely to purchase this bicycle
Rider
33.33%
non-rider collector
33.33%
chop shop
22.22%
category not mentioned
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

1970s Zeus Road Bike 22in w Sew-ups

Old 11-16-22, 10:23 PM
justaguy168 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
1970s Zeus Road Bike 22in w Sew-ups

Originally Posted by livedarklions
If it's old and you like it, it's vintage.
If it's old and lots of people like it, it's classic.
If it's old and nobody likes it, it's trash.
This bicycle was originally posted in this forum back in Sept of 2015 here. I got some encouraging answers back then. Paid for premium membership for a few years but did not get any offers. I still have the bicycle. I still don't ride it. Since that time, I've cleaned up the bicycle and put on a new seat and tires. I'd like to think that this is valued by someone but I'm not sure who. I live in New York City. Questions for the group:
  • Who would likely buy this bicycle?
    • rider
    • non-rider-collector
    • chop shop (cringe!)
    • category not mentioned
  • Would there be buyers in the US or would I have to look to the UK/Europe?
  • Where would I sell this bicycle? I am NOT willing to use Ebay. I have heard too many bad things about it. I have also posted this bicycle for a couple of years on the bikeforums.net marketplace but had no takers.
  • What would be the asking price?
Backstory:

This was purchased from Vinsentin's Bike Store in Oyster Bay Long Island in the 1970s. It belonged to my father and it hasn't been ridden in approx 45 years because of back surgery. Bicycle is in good condition but paint has scratches in some places. The tires are sew-ups. The non-original parts on it are two new Hutchinson Tempo sew-up tires, and a generic saddle put on by same shop in 2015. Original saddle will come with the bike but it is unusable. Wheels were trued. It has been stored indoors suspended from a padded hook on the front wheel. Paint has significant chips and decals have significant wear. Rubber brake hoods and handlebar grips are partially torn. Front rim says "Akront," rear rim says "Mavic Championnat du Monde." Bicycle is sold "as is."

More pictures can be found by clicking here.

More pictures on https://tinyurl.com/5n92rr3x

Dimensions:
  • Seat tube: approx. 22 in
  • Top tube: approx. 22 in
  • Front Sprockets: 52 & 43 teeth
  • Rear Sprockets: 25 teeth largest, 15 teeth smallest
  • Down tube: approx. 24 in
  • Head tube approx. 5.25 in
  • Handlebar outer-to-outer approx. 15.5 in
  • Wheels: 64 cm dia
  • Tube measurements are center to center
Components:
  • Tubing: Durifort tubes and fork
  • Handlebar Stem: Cinelli
  • Brakes: Zeus 2000
  • Rims: Akront front / Mavic Championnat Du Monde rear sew-ups
  • Rear Derailleur: Zeus Criterium
  • Other parts simply say Zeus

Last edited by justaguy168; 11-17-22 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Mentioned prior post.
Likes For justaguy168:
Old 11-17-22, 04:36 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
It’s an interesting bike, if it was my size and close to me I’d off between $250-300, but I’d have to give it a good looking over first, for the novelty of having an all Zeus bike. The fact that it’s been stored inside is good but if the bearings haven’t been serviced in 45+/- years that means any buyer will have to overhaul it so that will cost them their time.

do you have a better pic of the handlebar and brake levers?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 11-17-22 at 12:26 PM.
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-17-22, 07:37 AM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 217 Posts
I'm not an expert by any stretch but that is a cool bike. Put the original saddle back on, for heaven's sake get rid of those awful grips, put "L'Eroica ready" in the description, and this sells on ebay in a heartbeat. Since you're ruling that option out, I think your next best and easiest move is to contact a vintage bike seller. Surely there must be one in NYC? Someplace like Premium Cycling in Europe. (No affiliation or endorsement, haven't dealt with them, I just go to their website to drool sometimes.)

Always assuming it still doesn't sell here for some reason, I think it will.
Likes For EVlove:
Old 11-17-22, 07:56 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
First choice is eBay where you can reach the broadest market. Since you have eliminated that option….

Second choice is discount until it sells here. Presentation and Price are the two variables that affect selling. Assuming you have presented it well, time to lower price.

Third choice is to find a collector/buyer in NYC. Again presentation and price are the two factors.

The market for this bike is VERY limited. Yes it’s a nice one and has value. It’s all about finding the buyer (one is out there).

In my area, I sell some bikes to collectors, the rest go on eBay. I’ve been selling on eBay for 23 years. Out of probably 20,000 sales, 3 have gone bad. And none have gone really bad. But I pack very carefully.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 11-17-22, 08:33 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 490 Posts
Will probably be purchased by a collector who also rides.
Not a voting category.
A rider looking for an L'Eroica has many other options for better performing rides that still meet that ride requirements.
As many have stated, ebay is your best option and it may result in a local pickup / purchase especially since NYC area.
Hard to pay shipping for a vintage bike that is in the value range that some of these appraisals are quoting.
Likes For joesch:
Old 11-17-22, 08:45 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Isn't there a vintage bike auction house somewhere in NY (or at least an antiques auction house that did periodic auctions of vintage bikes)? Sure, you'd have to give them a big cut, but that might be the easiest way to go.
Likes For himespau:
Old 11-17-22, 08:52 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Not a voting category.
A rider looking for an L'Eroica has many other options for better performing rides that still meet that ride requirements.
As many have stated, ebay is your best option and it may result in a local pickup / purchase especially since NYC area.
Hard to pay shipping for a vintage bike that is in the value range that some of these appraisals are quoting.
I think the local pick up option makes a ton of sense. The "bay" will give you a broad audience, and the buyer will have the opportunity to inspect the bike before leaving. Once they leave with it, to me, that means they are content, so no coming back on you after the fact which can happen if you ship it out.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 11-17-22, 10:42 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
From a quick glance at recent sold "PARTS" on Ebay a few parts alone would bring more than 300.00.....people that are into this brand seem willing to pay a decent price for the Campy copies.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 11-17-22, 10:44 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26245 Post(s)
Liked 10,228 Times in 7,097 Posts
...most of those older, better quality Zeus components have a pretty high value in the used parts marketplace, so my guess would be that someone who traffics in that stuff regularly will probably try to buy it cheaply and turn a profit on the components. I have an orange Zeus that looks just like yours, but a lesser model ( Competition ), with all Zeus parts that are much less desirable. That one is the Zeus I wished for, but it is an inch too small for me. They don't show up all that often here. I don't think there was anyone local importing them where I live.

FWIW, they are built around the French design model, with metric tubing, French threading, etc. etc. , but everything was made in Spain because of the history and politics of the era. Mine came up from Mexico. I guess you might luck into two people who both want it who are the size to ride it and like this older stuff on ebay. Not sure a local sale will find them, but you do live in a major metropolitan area. Intact, these are kind of a rara avis, and it's a a shame it will probably be dismantled. But that's where we are right now.

Old 11-17-22, 11:02 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I've seen this bike posted before. If it were local to me, I'd buy it. I've kept my eye out for a Zeus for a while and I prefer a bike that is a rider than a collector's piece. You live in a big city. It will sell there without the hassle of shipping.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 11-17-22, 12:29 PM
justaguy168 

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
It’s an interesting bike, if it was my size and close to me I’d off between $250-300, but I’d have to give it a good looking over first, for the novelty of having an all Zeus bike. The fact that it’s been stored inside is good but if the bearings haven’t been serviced in 45+/- years that means any buyer will have to overhaul it so that will cost them their time.
do you a better pic of the handlebar and brake levers?
Bianchigirll These pictures should have been in the folder included with OP. But here they are again:

Originally Posted by EVlove
I'm not an expert by any stretch but that is a cool bike. Put the original saddle back on, for heaven's sake get rid of those awful grips, put "L'Eroica ready" in the description, and this sells on ebay in a heartbeat. Since you're ruling that option out, I think your next best and easiest move is to contact a vintage bike seller. Surely there must be one in NYC? Someplace like Premium Cycling in Europe. (No affiliation or endorsement, haven't dealt with them, I just go to their website to drool sometimes.)
Always assuming it still doesn't sell here for some reason, I think it will.
EVlove Thank you for the kind words. I didn't know what the L'Eroica was but thanks to you, I do now. Will mention that in my adverts. I do not know of a vintage bike seller in NYC. Most NYC LBS' cater to the NYCC which is all about the latest and greatest.

Originally Posted by joesch
Not a voting category.
joesch I'm not trying to be prickly, but what do you mean by "better performing rides that still mean ride requirement?" Newer bicycles with newer technology? A more typical Bianchi/Campy vintage bicycle? It would be helpful for me to know where the Zeus fits performance-wise with others from that era that a collector might want to purchase.

3alarmer Thanks for the design lineage. Yours is a beautiful ride. The same "Aztec Orange." Enjoy!

This is an old post here that describes one poster's experience which heavily influenced my perception of Ebay. I'm open to seeing if this has changed. There are many pros and cons to the local pickup option. The "risks of selling on Ebay" is the topic of another thread. A long time ago I worked in a bike store and know how to pack bicycles for shipping quite well. Again, that is covered in other posts.

Last edited by justaguy168; 11-17-22 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Clarified ebay experience
Likes For justaguy168:
Old 11-17-22, 12:52 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by justaguy168
EVlove Thank you for the kind words. I didn't know what the L'Eroica was but thanks to you, I do now. Will mention that in my adverts. I do not know of a vintage bike seller in NYC. Most NYC LBS' cater to the NYCC which is all about the latest and greatest.
You're welcome. I may have been a little too optimistic based on what other, more experienced posters contributed. As for ebay, unfortunately there is a very similar Zeus (in worse shape, admittedly) currently being listed and relisted, on Long Island. Could be from the same shop as yours. Has failed to meet reserve several times. However, that's local pickup only and a seller with non-existent feedback.
Likes For EVlove:
Old 11-17-22, 05:26 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Sadly, in a local market vintage bikes often go for just a fraction of the parts. Do not be surprised if a local buyer ends up parting it out and then tripling his money.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 11-17-22, 05:32 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 490 Posts
Bianchigirll These pictures should have been in the folder included with OP. But here they are again:

joesch I'm not trying to be prickly, but what do you mean by "better performing rides that still mean ride requirement?" Newer bicycles with newer technology? A more typical Bianchi/Campy vintage bicycle? It would be helpful for me to know where the Zeus fits performance-wise with others from that era that a collector might want to purchase.

Yes correct, like you guessed "A more typical Bianchi/Campy vintage bicycle" that is closer to the eroica 1987 cutoff year for technology updates. It is more cool to be riding an older vintage bike and some even ride the older single speed stove pipe steel bikes. That is way heroic!
Likes For joesch:
Old 11-17-22, 06:09 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 165 Posts
If that were 2-3cm larger, I'd be all over it for a full restoration and fair-weather rides. A fascinating bike with history.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 11-17-22, 09:00 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
I can't believe you can't sell that on NYC CL. Boston CL, or Philly CL. You can post it on on three ya know. And top post every 48 hours.
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 11-17-22, 11:18 PM
justaguy168 

Uncle, uncle!

. . . and this sells on ebay in a heartbeat.
Originally Posted by wrk101
First choice is eBay where you can reach the broadest market. Since you have eliminated that option…. . . . It’s all about finding the buyer (one is out there). In my area, I sell some bikes to collectors, the rest go on eBay. I’ve been selling on eBay for 23 years. Out of probably 20,000 sales, 3 have gone bad. And none have gone really bad.
As for ebay, unfortunately there is a very similar Zeus (in worse shape, admittedly) currently being listed and relisted, on Long Island.
Sadly, in a local market vintage bikes often go for just a fraction of the parts. Do not be surprised if a local buyer ends up parting it out and then tripling his money.
EVlove and wrk101, It seems that selling this involves casting the widest net to catch the niche buyer. I may need to revisit selling on Ebay. This would require more research on avoiding pitfalls. These are the 6 Zeus bicycles I found listed on Ebay right now. Note that all except one are local pickups -- including one in Madrid, Spain!
  1. $2.00 2 bids, local pickup Long Island, NY
  2. $700, ships from TX Campy/DuraAce/Repainted
  3. $999.99 0 bids, local pickup IL
  4. $1,299 local pickup CT
  5. $1,000 local pickup only Madrid, Spain
  6. $1,300 local pickup CA
Originally Posted by StarBiker
I can't believe you can't sell that on NYC CL. Boston CL, or Philly CL. You can post it on on three ya know. And top post every 48 hours.
Isn't that against the CL Terms of Use?

Last edited by justaguy168; 11-17-22 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Add hyperlink
Old 11-18-22, 08:19 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Need to research SOLD prices on ebay.

Typically local pickup kills the sale, but since you are in a big city, I would consider that.

Pitfall #1: Seller does not disclose defects.

Pitfall #2: Seller does not require signature on delivery (on higher priced items).

Pitfall #3: Seller poorly packs.

I bought a bike here on the forum, seller did not secure the front wheel, and left about 6 inches gap on the front of the box. As a result, the bike slid back and forth, and the wheel did as well. Lots of damage by the time it arrived. Its OK to have gaps around the bike, but the bike itself MUST be secure. So had the seller attached the front wheel to the trame and placed a six inch box in front of the box, all would have been well. Cutting the box down saves on postage.

Sooner or later, if you are a collector of just about everything, you either have to embrace on line sales, or sell locally at a small fraction. I sell stuff on ebay for $100 that I might get $5 MAX locally.

Anyone who sells frequently on ebay will have a horror story or two, but they tend to be relatively rare. And alternatives ALL involve getting LESS for my stuff.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-18-22 at 08:36 AM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 11-18-22, 12:26 PM
StarBiker

Need to research SOLD prices on ebay.

Typically local pickup kills the sale, but since you are in a big city, I would consider that.

Pitfall #1: Seller does not disclose defects.

Pitfall #2: Seller does not require signature on delivery (on higher priced items).

Pitfall #3: Seller poorly packs.

I bought a bike here on the forum, seller did not secure the front wheel, and left about 6 inches gap on the front of the box. As a result, the bike slid back and forth, and the wheel did as well. Lots of damage by the time it arrived. Its OK to have gaps around the bike, but the bike itself MUST be secure. So had the seller attached the front wheel to the trame and placed a six inch box in front of the box, all would have been well. Cutting the box down saves on postage.

Sooner or later, if you are a collector of just about everything, you either have to embrace on line sales, or sell locally at a small fraction. I sell stuff on ebay for $100 that I might get $5 MAX locally.

Anyone who sells frequently on ebay will have a horror story or two, but they tend to be relatively rare. And alternatives ALL involve getting LESS for my stuff.
The seller should have filled the gap. That is amateurish.

You can get online prices on CL and FBM in large metros. Especially DC, NYC, Boston, LA, San Francisco.......
I always have.
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 11-18-22, 12:33 PM
StarBiker

Isn't that against the CL Terms of Use?
No.

Sometimes I have two posts for the same city, so I can top post daily.

Again, pound it on CL, and don't give up. It may sell quickly, it may not. And you have to get on FBM.

You will sell that bike.

I have had people drive distance to buy bikes from me on CL.

And after you have top posted a few times you will not see the renew option. Delete the post and repost again. It's easy.

You have to pound it to sell it! And a fuggin month may not cut it.

It has taken me months to get my price but I got it.

(I am a regular Ebay seller, no bikes, and no electronics. Always CL!)
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 11-28-22, 06:45 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Isn't there a vintage bike auction house somewhere in NY (or at least an antiques auction house that did periodic auctions of vintage bikes)? Sure, you'd have to give them a big cut, but that might be the easiest way to go.
copake
Old 11-28-22, 07:20 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Thank you. Looks like my suggestion comes a month or 2 too late. https://www.copakeauction.com/bicycl...ycle-catalogs/
Old 11-28-22, 10:25 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Originally Posted by StarBiker
The seller should have filled the gap. That is amateurish.

You can get online prices on CL and FBM in large metros. Especially DC, NYC, Boston, LA, San Francisco.......
I always have.

Thats the beauty of living in one of the hotter markets, I'd add Toronto and Vancouver, BC to the list. Here in average market land, I just can't get FMV or anything close to it. On the one hand, this works in my. favor as a BUYER, but it sucks as a seller. Picked up a 1987 Panasonic DV-5000 recently, $50. Full Shimano 600 components. I. didn't scoop it either, it had been for sale for over a month.

Now sadly, if I tried to sell it locally, I would lose $$ on it as clearly I am the only buyer in this. town willing to pay even $50 for it.

So on the one hand, I am blessed with a market where I can find nice bikes for very little $$. On the other hand, I am cursed with a market where I cannot sell bikes for anything close to FMV. My $$ go far, but to sell I have to be willing to pack and ship. As a result, I pass on the basic stuff, and the mid level stuff tends to get parted out.

Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 11-28-22, 05:55 PM
StarBiker

Thats the beauty of living in one of the hotter markets, I'd add Toronto and Vancouver, BC to the list. Here in average market land, I just can't get FMV or anything close to it. On the one hand, this works in my. favor as a BUYER, but it sucks as a seller. Picked up a 1987 Panasonic DV-5000 recently, $50. Full Shimano 600 components. I. didn't scoop it either, it had been for sale for over a month.

Now sadly, if I tried to sell it locally, I would lose $$ on it as clearly I am the only buyer in this. town willing to pay even $50 for it.

So on the one hand, I am blessed with a market where I can find nice bikes for very little $$. On the other hand, I am cursed with a market where I cannot sell bikes for anything close to FMV. My $$ go far, but to sell I have to be willing to pack and ship. As a result, I pass on the basic stuff, and the mid level stuff tends to get parted out.

You have to come up to a good DC sale in the spring with a U-Haul, and bikes. Live and in person.

I always get DC buyers.