Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on a Pinarello Prince?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thoughts on a Pinarello Prince?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-23, 01:20 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,083 Times in 3,824 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
I think the only reason for the wavy design is for looks no? Or, is Pina touting a performance advantage to them? (edit: Apparently Pina touts the "asymmetrical frame" as a performance advantage, but I just assumed this was written by the marketing department
Either way, regarding the aesthetic aspect, the Canyon would be the exact opposite it seems to me.
i.e., it looks like one of a billion other bikes out there. Not that there's anything wrong with that; the Pina is just more pleasing to my eye.

What's the hate on integrated headsets? (it's not your post I'm referring to, but I've seen other people hating on them online as well). Is it the practicality of having to do work on the bike? In my case, I have never taken mine apart and haven't adjusted the position in years. Is there another reason they would be undesirable (aesthetics aside).
In the Canyon, the cables are almost purposefully intrusive. In my Domane, they are tucked into these clips that make it look a lot better.

That all being said, it's more and more likely that I'll be going with a Cervelo (or Canyon) at this point. Again, if practicality/performance is the motivation, there are much much cheaper/better deals on bikes out there. I'm just looking for something other than just that.
IMO...Buy the bike that excites you, regardless of what anyone else's feelings about it are. Buy the bike that screams "RIDE ME!" at you, every time you look at it. The blue bike in the sea of black bikes that I posted above does that for me. It's your money, and your bike. Buy it for your reasons.

EDIT: The issue isn't integrated headsets, it's the internal cable routing through the handlebar and stem. The parts tend to be proprietary for that manufacturer, and are a pain in the @$$ to work on...but, damn, that clean look is sharp!

Last edited by Eric F; 01-31-23 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-31-23, 01:40 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
IMO...Buy the bike that excites you, regardless of what anyone else's feelings about it are. Buy the bike that screams "RIDE ME!" at you, every time you look at it. The blue bike in the sea of black bikes that I posted above does that for me. It's your money, and your bike. Buy it for your reasons.
Exactly this.

EDIT: The issue isn't integrated headsets, it's the internal cable routing through the handlebar and stem. The parts tend to be proprietary for that manufacturer, and are a pain in the @$$ to work on...but, damn, that clean look is sharp!
Internal cable routing, whether through the frame or the handlebars is a PITA when you have to change cables. Personally, I would rather go back to all externally routed cables, but that's just me. I don't think external cables look "dirty", they look functional.
Old 01-31-23, 02:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
What's the hate on integrated headsets? (it's not your post I'm referring to, but I've seen other people hating on them online as well). Is it the practicality of having to do work on the bike? In my case, I have never taken mine apart and haven't adjusted the position in years. Is there another reason they would be undesirable (aesthetics aside).
In the Canyon, the cables are almost purposefully intrusive. In my Domane, they are tucked into these clips that make it look a lot better.
Purposefully intrusive? Can't say I have her that phrase before, but I did chuckle that a couple of small exposed cables are apparently intrusive. You would lose your mind over most every bike of mine since they have external cables or brake cable routed into the top tube.

As for fully internally routed cables and hoses, I dislike the large head tube, headset, and stem spacer junction the various routing options offer. I don't own one, obviously, but I would strongly dislike having to work on a bike with fully internally routed cables and hoses because it makes maintenance more difficult.

I worked on cables and housing for a bike build last night. I cut new housing and strung everything. It took 15min to measure, cut, install, and tune both brakes and derailleurs.
Obviously that is different from what you are looking at since you want hydraulic and di2. That's cool. Point remains though.
Old 01-31-23, 03:09 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Lombard
Internal cable routing, whether through the frame or the handlebars is a PITA when you have to change cables. Personally, I would rather go back to all externally routed cables, but that's just me. I don't think external cables look "dirty", they look functional.
This largely comes down to aesthetic preferences vs. tolerance for PITA install and maintenance...and it's a mean battle. Personally, I find the clean look of internal everything very attractive, and I would probably make the decision to deal with the PITA to get the appearance., if I was in the market for a current high-end road bike. I completely understand why someone might have a different preference.
Old 01-31-23, 03:18 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

This largely comes down to aesthetic preferences vs. tolerance for PITA install and maintenance...and it's a mean battle. Personally, I find the clean look of internal everything very attractive, and I would probably make the decision to deal with the PITA to get the appearance., if I was in the market for a current high-end road bike. I completely understand why someone might have a different preference.
I don't see cables as being unaesthetic. That's like saying headlights on cars look unaesthetic. Granted some cars in the past have had concealed headlights because someone thought lights were unattractive. In a weird kind of way, I kind of miss those shifter housings that used to protrude directly out of the shifter and down the downtube.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-31-23, 03:20 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Internal routing and integrated cockpit for the win!

It doesn’t cost much to have the shop handle any work required required in the cockpit, which is really only the hoses on a modern bike with electronic shifting. People buying $6k or more expensive bikes aren’t whining about spending $100 for shop work.
Old 01-31-23, 03:27 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I don't see cables as being unaesthetic. That's like saying headlights on cars look unaesthetic. Granted some cars in the past have had concealed headlights because someone thought lights were unattractive. In a weird kind of way, I kind of miss those shifter housings that used to protrude directly out of the shifter and down the downtube.
As I said, "aesthetic preferences". You don't mind exposed cables. I prefer the appearance of no cables/wires/tubing. It's just preferences.

The first generation of Shimano 10s was the last one to have the protruding shifter housings. Shifting performance (mechanical) has never been better.
Old 01-31-23, 03:35 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I actually like external cabling myself. It's a place you can add some contrasting color without logos/decals. Plus, with the rest of the stuff hanging like lights, bottles/cages, Varia, saddle, etc. the cables are not a distraction. Now if all that stuff was integreted into the frame, I might think differently.
Old 01-31-23, 03:45 PM
seypat

I'm sorry, I just can't get over the name. It's amazing what little nitpicky things will sour a person's decisions. And what's up with naming a Italian company's model Paris? Parigi might have been a better name, or not.

Last edited by seypat; 01-31-23 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-31-23, 03:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
That all being said, it's more and more likely that I'll be going with a Cervelo (or Canyon) at this point. Again, if practicality/performance is the motivation, there are much much cheaper/better deals on bikes out there. I'm just looking for something other than just that.
You mentioned Canyon looks like everything else, so even though that bike is a helluva deal compared to the Pinarello, dont get it just only because its value is better. I simply offered that up as an example of what you can get for less money than the Pinarello. If it doesnt move you, then obviously look elsewhere. This is a hobby and at the price you are looking at, value is hardly a top priority. Nothing at the $6000 mark is some huge value compared to a $4000 bike even- the differences are very small and mostly preference vs actual improved quality or performance.

If the Pinarello is what makes you want to ride- go that route. If a Cervelo does that for you- cool. Etc etc
Old 01-31-23, 04:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by seypat
I'm sorry, I just can't get over the name. It's amazing what little nitpicky things will sour a person's decisions. And what's up with naming a Italian company's model Paris? Parigi night have been a better name, or not.
Paris and Prince are legacy model names used by Pinarello for 20+ years. Paris was the model Jan Ullrich rode to his 1997 TdF victory.
Old 01-31-23, 05:45 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

As I said, "aesthetic preferences". You don't mind exposed cables. I prefer the appearance of no cables/wires/tubing. It's just preferences.
Precisely.

The first generation of Shimano 10s was the last one to have the protruding shifter housings. Shifting performance (mechanical) has never been better.
I will agree here starting with 5800/6800/9000, mechanical shifting has never been better. What has been wanting is Shimano shifters penchant for eating shifter cables. Combine frequent cable changes with internally routed cabling is what made me switch to SRAM Force 22 which shifts just as nicely as 6800, but hopefully without having to replace a rear shifter cable every 1500-2000 miles.
Old 01-31-23, 06:21 PM
seypat

Paris and Prince are legacy model names used by Pinarello for 20+ years. Paris was the model Jan Ullrich rode to his 1997 TdF victory.
People remember and take note of the things of the time period that started/peaked their interest. Pinarello won their first GT and a Vuelta-Giro double before that. The 2nd with the winner running a triple on one of the most important stages. That's what put them on the map. For you it's Big Mig and Jan. For others it's other things.
Old 01-31-23, 06:29 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

People remember and take note of the things of the time period that started/peaked their interest. Pinarello won their first GT and a Vuelta-Giro double before that. The 2nd with the winner running a triple on one of the most important stages. That's what put them on the map. For you it's Big Mig and Jan. For others it's other things.
I'm aware of the history of Pinarello. Accurate that the Jan/Mig time period was notable to me. My point was that Paris and Prince aren't new model names for the brand. They're almost old enough for the C&V folks to be interested - LOL. From what I can tell - and what I recall - these model names originated with Pinarello's first foray into aluminum frames...which is not of so much interest to C&V folks.
Old 01-31-23, 06:53 PM
seypat

I'm aware of the history of Pinarello. Accurate that the Jan/Mig time period was notable to me. My point was that Paris and Prince aren't new model names for the brand. They're almost old enough for the C&V folks to be interested - LOL. From what I can tell - and what I recall - these model names originated with Pinarello's first foray into aluminum frames...which is not of so much interest to C&V folks.
Specific to this thread, they might not have any notariety or importance to a younger/newer buyer, good or bad. So the discussion you and I are having may have absolutely no bearing on the OP's thoughts. Getting old sucks.
Those model names might not be any more important/revelant than this particular shoe model.

Last edited by seypat; 02-02-23 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-31-23, 09:10 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Getting old sucks.
No, dying young sucks.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 02-02-23, 08:36 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
How would you describe the difference between the Synapse and the Paris? I bought a 2018 Synapse with Ultegra Di2. It was a very nice bike but seemed to lack responsiveness. In 2020 I bought a Super
Six and swapped over the Di2. After 26 years on a Merckx Century and a brief interlude on the Synapse the Super Six is a lot of fun. Handles more responsively. How would you describe the Paris’ handling vs. the Synapse?
The geometry of my Synapse and Paris are pretty similar, so moving from my Synapse to the Paris was an easy, seamless transition. Both bikes were professionally fitted for me, which further made both feel very similar and comfortable.

As for the responsiveness, while I was pleased with the handling of the Synapse, the Paris’s overall handling is just that much more responsive making it a more exciting and fun bike to ride.
Old 02-02-23, 07:18 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Some headlights rock..

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-05-23, 04:05 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I agree with Eric F . Buy the bike the excites you.

Also. I have two friends who ride Pinarellos. Both of them swear they are the best bikes they have ever ridden. Expensive? Yes. But each of them say the price of admission was worth it.
Likes For NoWhammies: