Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2015 Race Results

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-15, 08:04 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Only one? Piker.
Trying to protect my delicate constitution . To be honest, after eating outrageous quantities of food and drinking equally outrageous quantities of water after the race, I really only had room for one!

Originally Posted by tetonrider
nice! i'm happy to read about your cross stuff.

i'm looking forward to a bit of cx racing myself, but it is ~ a month away.
Thanks! It is a bit early, yes, and this was kind of an odd course. So a lot of people are just seeing where they stand going into the season. There's no cyclocross in New England next weekend, so the season doesn't really get started until mid-September. After that, it heats up pretty quickly around here.
Old 08-31-15, 08:04 AM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thought something was gonna happen when you ran into the girl you kinda knew. (my life is really boring and i need to get out more)

also....i care about 'cross
Old 08-31-15, 08:10 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Trying to protect my delicate constitution . To be honest, after eating outrageous quantities of food and drinking equally outrageous quantities of water after the race, I really only had room for one!

Thanks! It is a bit early, yes, and this was kind of an odd course. So a lot of people are just seeing where they stand going into the season. There's no cyclocross in New England next weekend, so the season doesn't really get started until mid-September. After that, it heats up pretty quickly around here.
I will go to all of your races to offer beer hand-ups.

Actually seriously, do you need someone in the pit? I've never been to a cross race and it seems like it'd be fun, if I could help you out at the same time I'd be happy to.
Old 08-31-15, 08:53 AM
grolby

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin

Actually seriously, do you need someone in the pit? I've never been to a cross race and it seems like it'd be fun, if I could help you out at the same time I'd be happy to.
That's really kind of you to offer. As it stands, I do not have a pit bike, only wheels, so there wouldn't really be anything for you to do. You should still check out a race sometime this fall if you get a chance. Even if you're not racing, the atmosphere is typically really fun and the racing is really good to watch.
Old 08-31-15, 09:29 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are you still in NY? Supercross is in Stony Point, and the NYCROSS crew has a handful of races around the capital region. Bethlehem (mid Nov I think) is a favorite. Always free beer and a potluck for anyone that wants to contribute. The Uncle Sam races are good for spectating too because they're in Troy and you have to watch out for hypodermic needles and dead bodies as you race.
Old 08-31-15, 09:37 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

lol, yes, I'm in Beacon. Stony Point is riding distance from my place so I don't have a real excuse for not checking it out.
Old 08-31-15, 10:11 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby

@gsteinb just chided someone for qualifying his good results. I think he was spot on. You got a great result, end of story.
Old 09-04-15, 12:58 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

GMSR Cat 2 ITT. First half is like uphill, second half is like rolling downhill. I went out too hard just cuz I was super excited to be doing my first 2 race and also wanted to see if I could pull off some magic. I almost caught my 30 second guy cresting over the uphill about 8min in, then basically came apart on the rolling downhill haha. I was not passed though! 50/71 and though nobody wants to get their ass kicked I'm pretty happy and I'm looking forward to the next 3 days. I'd wager if I didn't pace this like a moron I would've done pretty OK.

Lesson to you dudes who go out too hard and don't have power meters:

1st ~8min (uphill): 383W
~6min following: 336W (which is where I lost all my time, nerfed legs + maintaining power flat/rolling downhill... )
~30sec of coasting (spun out downhill)
last ~1.5min or so (steepish uphill): 491w
Old 09-04-15, 09:08 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice job grolby. Had I known you were out here I would have stopped by. I work a half mile from there.
Old 09-05-15, 05:23 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well despite my powermeter woes (Which thankfully were remedied by my GF lending me hers because she still rides based on heart rate) the Cat 2 TT went pretty well for me, 4th, 14 seconds off of the pace.

I didn't really manage my power that well over the top and into the second half of the course. Overall though my pacing was more steady than years previous years and my weight is a bit lower. I am happy with my placing but a little bummed with myself for not pacing it better.

Live and learn I guess.
Old 09-05-15, 06:14 AM
ShutUpLegs

Bikes: CAAD10 & Slice RS Black Inc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GMSR Cat 2 ITT. First half is like uphill, second half is like rolling downhill. I went out too hard just cuz I was super excited to be doing my first 2 race and also wanted to see if I could pull off some magic. I almost caught my 30 second guy cresting over the uphill about 8min in, then basically came apart on the rolling downhill haha. I was not passed though! 50/71 and though nobody wants to get their ass kicked I'm pretty happy and I'm looking forward to the next 3 days. I'd wager if I didn't pace this like a moron I would've done pretty OK.

Lesson to you dudes who go out too hard and don't have power meters:

1st ~8min (uphill): 383W
~6min following: 336W (which is where I lost all my time, nerfed legs + maintaining power flat/rolling downhill... )
~30sec of coasting (spun out downhill)
last ~1.5min or so (steepish uphill): 491w
Good work! Let me know how that race is. I planning on doing it next year since it is the only Cat 2 only Stage race around
Old 09-05-15, 07:07 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
this is the gmsr tt? Strava Segment | GMSR TT ?

great job on 4th dnuzz. cat 2 stage races are, in my experience of 2 of them, cutthroat with guys trying to get to 1.
Old 09-05-15, 03:01 PM
grolby

Originally Posted by shovelhd
Nice job grolby. Had I known you were out here I would have stopped by. I work a half mile from there.
Heh, no kidding! I'm sure I'll catch up to you at some point, I am assuming you'll be blueshirting a couple cross races this fall? I plan on hitting most of the local circuit through mid-November, including Northampton.

Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
Well despite my powermeter woes (Which thankfully were remedied by my GF lending me hers because she still rides based on heart rate) the Cat 2 TT went pretty well for me, 4th, 14 seconds off of the pace.

I didn't really manage my power that well over the top and into the second half of the course. Overall though my pacing was more steady than years previous years and my weight is a bit lower. I am happy with my placing but a little bummed with myself for not pacing it better.

Live and learn I guess.
Nice! Sounds like you're in a good position. Nice work TKP as well!
Old 09-05-15, 03:10 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grolby, I won't be doing any UCI races this year because I've gotten to the point where I don't need to work for free. Once I upgrade I'll have a better chance of getting chosen by Colorado. Meanwhile I have seven CX races on the schedule so far including Riverfront where I will be the Chief Referee. That's a big step for me. I'm also doing New Haven, a night criterium, and you know how much I love those.
Old 09-05-15, 03:11 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good stuff Nutso and Penguin.
Old 09-05-15, 03:15 PM
grolby

Originally Posted by shovelhd
Grolby, I won't be doing any UCI races this year because I've gotten to the point where I don't need to work for free. Once I upgrade I'll have a better chance of getting chosen by Colorado. Meanwhile I have seven CX races on the schedule so far including Riverfront where I will be the Chief Referee. That's a big step for me. I'm also doing New Haven, a night criterium, and you know how much I love those.
Ah, I follow. I'll be in Hartford the day before for Silk City, but racing more locally Sunday at Quadcross. Good luck with your Chief Officialdom!
Old 09-05-15, 04:23 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Blah. Crit. As usual, strength has absolutely zero to do with field sprint results. Vast number of guys going backwards and dragging me with them with half lap to go. I even saved up energy, only burning one match all race on a promising bridge. Didnt quite drag the pack, but got them chasing hard :-/
Old 09-05-15, 07:06 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

GMSR Stage 2 - 10th (lol)

~3.75 laps of like a 20mi loop, so like ~72ish miles. Juniors passed us with like 30 to go and we were neutralized up the KOM, I just like drifted forward because why not? Meanwhile our breakaway wasn't neutralized so they put ~3min into us while we derped around.

Then we got a few miles past the descent and the entire road was blocked by cars and moto officials because there was a big crash in the junior field. So I guess some of our field attacked through it, and the rest of the group stayed with the yellow jersey and paraded it to the finish line and then talked with the officials to get the confusion sorted out. The only thing I can figure is the solution was they scored our finish at the top of the KOM when we passed through it, and thus did it come to pass that I officially have a 10th place finish / 5th place field sprint on a course built for sprinters, which is pretty hilarious.

edit: I'm wrong. They scored us by our bib numbers. It is entirely random that I got scored 10th, which makes it funnier.

Last edited by TheKillerPenguin; 09-05-15 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-05-15, 07:32 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by https://www.gmsr.info/pdfs/communiques/2015%20Communiques/stage_2_communique.pdf
Due to the fact the juniors caught the Cat 2 field on the next to last lap for the Cat 2’s but with 6 Cat 2riders off the front when the catch was made, the Cat 2 field was neutralized to allow the juniors to 2proceed to their finish as they were on their final lap. Subsequently crashes caused additionalneutralizations for the Cat 2s. The six Cat 2 riders were ahead of the juniors and allowed to racewithout any neutralization to the 1k marker when their race was finished because a crash made thefinish area unusable. Rider #195 is declared the winner of the Cat 2 race. He reached the 1k marker 18seconds clear of the chasers. Due to no sprint, the 4 riders in that group are given same time forsecond place. Rider #256 had been dropped by the group but finished clear of the other Cat groups forsixth. The remaining Cat 2 riders are placed 3 minutes down on GC to the winner.

Officially it looks like the entire field behind the break got 7th place. This happened to me once at Hunter where the finish was neutralized, they scored the top X guys and gave everybody else X+1 place. In that race though X was conveniently the lowest placing to get upgrade points; in your case maybe everybody who finished the race gets some upgrade points? Party!
Old 09-05-15, 07:35 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Ha you're right, when I first wrote the post USAC's site had me as having finished 10th. So 7th it is. Fiesta!
Old 09-05-15, 08:13 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Red Kite 35+. 4th in the race today after I watched 2 guys ride away because 3rd in the omnium, behind me, was in our break and I feared him taking primes and my 2nd in the omnium. Convoluted, but ended up being a pretty easy race. The two I let go lapped the field, I cut the 3rd guy out of our break and we rolled in chatting for 3/4. Held my 2nd in the omnium and walked with like $300 in gift cards and 2 bottles of wine.
Old 09-05-15, 11:08 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Nice job to the penguin fella & mr nuzz!

my race videos
Old 09-05-15, 11:10 PM
mattm
**** that

Red Kite p/1/2 - started winning break, lapped the field, did not win though.

Only 7th.

It was more of a split than a break, probably half the field? (of like 25 lol)

4th overall in the omnium, but tried to ignore that in this race and just go for the win. Didn't play the final sprint quite right, but so it goes. Racing tomorrow & monday, looking forward to it!

my race videos
Old 09-05-15, 11:15 PM
mattm
**** that

Oh and our team won the overall team prize for the day and the season, a pretty sweet trophy, so that was neat.

Our sponsor restaurant will hopefully accept it as a gift and frame it next to the yellow jersey (or is it pink?) they have.

my race videos
Old 09-05-15, 11:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Also at Red Kite. Raced twice, first in the 45+3/4, 3d place. Audi and Penn Velo were duking it out for the omnium apparently, so everytime a black jersey went to the front, I got on his wheel. Kind of botched the final corner: was holding 3d wheel up until the penultimate straight, but let two guys slot in. And I was in the 11 trying to dig out of that corner. If I'd been 3d wheel or in the 12, I think I take 2d. If I'm both, I think I win. Still, really happy to have fitness this late in the season.

35+3/4, Way way back. I was working for my teammate. I sat in until 5 to go, and then I worked my up to near the front. Teammate finds my wheel with 2.5 to go. I just tried to keep him in the top 5 by surfing wheels, offsetting to the wind, and letting guys come around and then I'd jump on them. Took a long hard pull and let him go with about 500m to go. He drills it to the front and is first through the final corner but gets taken out from behind. Bunch of other guys go down too and one guy goes away in an ambulance. My teammate only had road rash, luckily.

Still pretty happy that I even had matches to burn in a second race. Really, really happy actually.

Oh, and we also got a nice team trophy for the 3/4 omnium. So we've got that going for us, which is nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.