Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Coached or self coached?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Coached or self coached?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 10:39 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
OP PM me and I'll add you to my stable of athletes who I coach for free. Guaranteed results or your money back. I'd bet a $1 I can make you faster!
Old 11-20-15, 06:31 PM
ShutUpLegs

Bikes: CAAD10 & Slice RS Black Inc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are people who want to be coached and those that want to coach themselves. Everyone has different preferences depending on multiple variables. I've never been coached and I've seen a lot of improvement and have had a lot of success (currently Cat 2 going after Cat 1) and I've been racing 4 years now. I have a background in swimming, swam all my life and in college. So I have a good idea of what my body can do and how to plan a season. I read A LOT!!! Books, articles, videos, and picked more experienced riders brains. I've also done a lot of trial and error. Every year I try something slightly different to see if the improvements are better.

Training is one piece of the puzzle, learning how to race is another. If can hold yourself accountable and are willing to put in the dedication I think anyone can be successful self-coached. Just don't be afraid to ask questions.
Old 11-21-15, 06:31 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I think dollar for dollar, a good coach is the best performance investment you can make.

If performance is your ultimate goal, I'd find a way to get a good, vetted coach.

You can do a lot with solid training on your own. May take some trial and error, but you can get there. But unless you're just a freak of nature who improves by falling off the couch, a coach will likely get you faster, faster.
Old 11-21-15, 11:12 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Coaches, trainers, mechanics, managers, directors and money...
What you choose has a lot to do with the time and money you want to put into it.
So think about going ala carte for just what you need.
I was with Dave Jordaan Cyber Cycle Coach last week and he explained he never gets involved in race strategy or how to race, more how to get power.
I thought his input was very helpful, although some overlaps, contradicts other trainers/coaches. I'm good with that. But if you aren't that is a good reason to just find one person.
Old 11-21-15, 11:51 PM
Alaska Mike
The Slow One

Bikes: Hate me.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coached. She keeps me more or less on-track and focused, despite my best efforts. This is especially valuable during the long trainer season up here.
Old 11-22-15, 09:11 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
christ, that's hard on the eyes.

I also don't know what most of that means. 3 year commitment? No hard stuff for the first year you work with him? No agony training?
Old 11-22-15, 10:33 AM
Doge

My post point was ala carte options. We used him for fitting. We don't use him for coaching, so I don't know. He was one of the 8 or so guys involved in writing the power book, so I'd guess his methods are close to that.
Old 11-22-15, 11:00 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
not commenting on your post, just his website.
Old 11-22-15, 08:56 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
If I could afford a coach I would have one. There are times where I feel like I need the direction and accountability.
Old 11-23-15, 05:23 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Coaches, trainers, mechanics, managers, directors and money...
What you choose has a lot to do with the time and money you want to put into it.
So think about going ala carte for just what you need.
I was with
Dave Jordaan Cyber Cycle Coach last week and he explained he never gets involved in race strategy or how to race, more how to get power.
I thought his input was very helpful, although some overlaps, contradicts other trainers/coaches. I'm good with that. But if you aren't that is a good reason to just find one person.

Odd website and I guess he wants the recurring revenue that a 3 year commitment brings. I am fine with that but would not hire him.
Old 11-23-15, 05:41 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
[/COLOR]Odd website and I guess he wants the recurring revenue that a 3 year commitment brings. I am fine with that but would not hire him.
I hold my athletes to a 5-year minimum. I don't want quitters.
Old 11-23-15, 05:45 PM
Doge

I expect if he had a good website I couldn't hire him.
Old 11-23-15, 05:45 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Ygduf
I hold my athletes to a 5-year minimum. I don't want quitters.
Poor mattm is in for the long haul. Hey, with twins on the way, I totally get it.
Old 11-23-15, 06:03 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I expect if he had a good website I couldn't hire him.
Look, he may be a great coach, bike fitter and etc but when a service provider puts the word "warning" prominently on his website that one must first consider this and that, it is a red flag for me that something is not quite right. But as you point out, one could cherry pick his services if it seemed appropriate.

The best fitter / aero testing setup that I have found is ERO at Velo Sports Center. I talked with a coach the other day that peed all over ERO (he provides bike fit as a service to his clients) and thought no one could ride the final positions. I listened to a podcast last night interviewing the Australian woman going for the elite hour record and she loves ERO and said it is the way to go. Obviously, I agree with her but maybe that is because I rode 200 laps at VSC testing position and equipment.

As a tidbit for you, on the podcast, she said that a biological passport entry fee is EURO 7,500. I almost fell off my chair. One has to be in that program for 6 months before one can go for an elite world record. And then there is the cost of drug testing at the event.
Old 11-23-15, 06:37 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
I talked with a coach the other day that peed all over ERO (he provides bike fit as a service to his clients) and thought no one could ride the final positions. I listened to a podcast last night interviewing the Australian woman going for the elite hour record and she loves ERO and said it is the way to go.
Remember when I had that terrible coach? My first clue there was something wrong with him was when we first met & he wanted to change my fit from my ERO road bike fit. (He also is a fitter.) It was the first time we'd met & I had to figure out how to politely say "back off buddy, I don't know you that well".

I guess it's a testament to my current coach that he suggested a change to my ERO TT fit and I processed that for a moment and said, "yes, ok, that makes sense".

For me, having the coach & the fitter that I have has put me exponentially ahead of the curve vs where I'd be without them. It just seems like incredible good luck to me.

Personally, I think the right coach is worth every penny, but I'm the kind of person who likes to cut to the chase and get stuff done. Noodling around and trying a bunch of trial & error is not really my style. No, I don't think there is just one "expert" way to do things. But I for sure recognize that there are people who just simply have more knowledge & experience than I do and why not involve them if available? The only reason I can imagine is the expense, which is completely valid. Other than that, if you find the right people, my opinion is by all means connect yourself to them.
Old 11-23-15, 06:54 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Poor mattm is in for the long haul. Hey, with twins on the way, I totally get it.
it's a long-term sport.
Old 11-23-15, 07:29 PM
Maltex

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[/COLOR]Odd website and I guess he wants the recurring revenue that a 3 year commitment brings. I am fine with that but would not hire him.
My coaching program is so awesome and precise that if you don't do all of it exactly as prescribed it won't work at all and also you won't even know if it's working or not until after at least 1 year.

I also believe in "training with power meters".
Old 11-23-15, 08:00 PM
Doge

My son does not use a power training program, so we are not using him as a coach. Which...was the whole point of my post. Learn to glean what you can.

I took my son to him at age 10 and I thought he knew his stuff. He did some free power profiles, gave some pointers and said come back in 6 years as he is primarily a pro coach. I do fall on the side that he knows what he is doing with regards to power.
Old 11-24-15, 10:13 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Maltex
My coaching program is so awesome and precise that if you don't do all of it exactly as prescribed it won't work at all and also you won't even know if it's working or not until after at least 1 year.

I also believe in "training with power meters".
sarcasm or no? tone is hard to get online and there are people who would believe this.
Old 11-24-15, 05:23 PM
Maltex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kind of scary that people would believe that. But yeah total sarcasm. Really curious why "training with power meters" needs quotations.
Old 11-24-15, 07:18 PM
Doge

I posted about ala carte coaching. Scary? I don't subscribe to the training with power philosophy, but it does not scare me that people do. If you do, and use Golden Cheetah, WKO, Training peaks then you are using Dave's algorithms - that should scare you.

So why did I go to Dave if I am not interested in buying a power training program?
-He knows morphological / power relationships.
-He has hundreds of athlete's records to compare to.
-He is a mathematician
-He has been a paid coach for 20+ years
-He was recommended (this is SoCal)

Last edited by Doge; 11-24-15 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-24-15, 08:20 PM
Maltex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He could be a great coach and I can pretty much guarantee he has more knowledge than me, his website copy is just dumb. Yes I use "power meters" to train, just like I use a GPS. A "power meter" is just a measurement device, you can do all sorts of stuff with it.
Old 11-24-15, 08:25 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Thanks Doge for that.

Hey OP. I used a coach most of my racing career. I prefer ones that are local, have team rides and I can see versus just communicate via email or phone. For me, it is all about maximizing fun when training and racing.

Time to decide....red pill or the blue pill

Old 11-24-15, 10:29 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Maltex
"GPS"
ftfy
Old 11-25-15, 09:45 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Having a person you have to answer to is great for keeping you honest. I have a tendency to go too hard all the time if I'm not given a leash. Some have better self control, it's a real weakness in my ability to self coach.

"One day a week you can do 3x10 @ XXXw. If you do more than that you owe me 4000 push-ups"

He'll check my data; he knows. It's like if Santa really existed and gave you coal regardless of whether you were bad or good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.