Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Masters Misc Race Report Thread

Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Masters Misc Race Report Thread

Old 06-02-17, 11:12 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
There are no skin suits or road suits and limited accessories.
I have no idea what's normal. I had already decided that I was probably just going to get a jersey anyway, even if they offered a skinsuit. I figured their skin suit would be unlikely to be faster than mine anyway.

I'm assuming that's ok, etiquette-wise? To just wear the jersey sometimes on regular rides but not in the racing discipline in which I won it?

What kind of accessories would they typically offer besides arm warmers?
Old 06-02-17, 11:36 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
@Heathpack, I very rarely wear my state jersey in a race (crit). I've worn it to workouts at Hellyer a couple of times, but that's about it. I'd like to get an appropriately sized frame and put it on display. It means a heck of a lot to me.
Old 06-02-17, 11:44 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
I have no idea what's normal. I had already decided that I was probably just going to get a jersey anyway, even if they offered a skinsuit. I figured their skin suit would be unlikely to be faster than mine anyway.

I'm assuming that's ok, etiquette-wise? To just wear the jersey sometimes on regular rides but not in the racing discipline in which I won it?

What kind of accessories would they typically offer besides arm warmers?
When Linda Elgart, Voler distributor and racer, and Voler were the championship clothing supplier, we had jerseys and shorts plus wind vests, long sleeve cotton jerseys, booties, gloves, socks, arm warmers and caps.

Racing, one is only allowed to wear the championship jersey in the event that one won. Training, it does not matter. Sometimes I wear my stuff just because.

In general, but not always, team skin suits are not as fast as the special skin suits from Castelli and etc.
Old 06-02-17, 11:45 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Trackies would purchase skin suits...just saying.
Old 06-02-17, 11:52 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Racing, one is only allowed to wear the championship jersey in the event that one won.
Not that it is really going to matter to me because I'm never going to wear a jersey over a skinsuit in a TT, but when you say "event," do you mean that the only race scenario that you are supposed to wear a State Championship jersey in is next years State Championship in the same discipline? Or if you won it in a TT, you can wear it to race TTs in general?
Old 06-02-17, 12:23 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@sarals Congrats on your Tuesday night racing.
Old 06-02-17, 03:33 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Not that it is really going to matter to me because I'm never going to wear a jersey over a skinsuit in a TT, but when you say "event," do you mean that the only race scenario that you are supposed to wear a State Championship jersey in is next years State Championship in the same discipline? Or if you won it in a TT, you can wear it to race TTs in general?
TT's. Couldn't wear it in a crit or RR. Or track. Or a cyclocross event. Or MTB. Volleyball? Not sure.
Old 06-02-17, 04:20 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Not volleyball, but probably soccer (futbol).

Old 06-02-17, 05:35 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

I have no idea what's normal.
Old 06-04-17, 11:38 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
dnf
dnf
dnf
dnf
dnf

More pattern matching. Race report is over in the 33.

Last edited by globecanvas; 06-04-17 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-04-17, 05:58 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
not bad, especially considering that it was drizzling a bit
Old 06-04-17, 06:39 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Next year, @globecanvas. Executing perfectly is a laudable goal.

But congrats too on hanging with such a fast paced race. Pretty good in & of itself, when you think about it.
Old 06-05-17, 12:30 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

LAVRA TT yesterday. A couple of thousands of a second faster than last LAVRA in the 500. I dragged the gate a bit by slightly mistiming the start. And we have electronic timing that is accurate to the thousandth of a second.

By analogy to the golf swing, it was like having a solid drive but landing in the rough with an obstructed view of the green for the second shot. Par is achievable but birdie is very difficult.

The guy with whom I race team pursuit decided to stop any endurance events and just focus on sprints. His coach made him stop. And he is only going to talk with other sprinters. I told his coach that he really knows how to spoil a good party by taking away the punch bowl.
Old 06-05-17, 12:51 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The guy with whom I race team pursuit decided to stop any endurance events and just focus on sprints.
All the cool kids are doing that!
Old 06-05-17, 01:10 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Sumo. All the cool kids are doing Sumo.
Old 06-05-17, 02:29 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I only do sprints now, but I talk to everyone....

....for the time being....

Old 06-05-17, 02:31 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by sarals
I only do sprints now, but I talk to everyone....

....for the time being....

And, having said that...

@VanceMac, I can't make my calendar jive with the VSC Women's Omnium events. I'll be at the LAVRA TT #6, but there is no Omnium the day before

;(
Old 06-05-17, 03:30 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
And, having said that...

@VanceMac, I can't make my calendar jive with the VSC Women's Omnium events. I'll be at the LAVRA TT #6, but there is no Omnium the day before

;(
There are omniums the next two Saturdays... the last two of the year!
Old 06-05-17, 03:37 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by VanceMac
There are omniums the next two Saturdays... the last two of the year!
Oh, I wish i could come! I'm racing the Tour de Nez crit in Reno this coming Saturday, and then the NCNCA District Time Trial in Loyalton on Sunday. The following weekend, I'm working.

Rats!!

Old 06-10-17, 04:02 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi - remember me? I've been busy with work, work trips, and riding. Racing has been sparse. And posting on BF also sparse, but I still read this forum semi-regularly.

I raced a couple of TT's today - Best on Hess, MW50+ and non-aero women. It's a 9 mile out and back with a big hill and some rollers, no real flat parts. 4th in both races. Which sounds nice, but they are much less competitive fields than the SW3 I was racing last year. Power is down a little from last year (race was just before my accident last year, when i was still being coached) - but only by 5 watts, and only 2 seconds slower. Conditions today were a bit rough, it was about 90 degrees and windy. Anyway, nice to get out and race.

Next weekend is 40K state TT champs, that's gonna hurt.
Old 06-10-17, 06:30 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by valygrl
Hi - remember me? I've been busy with work, work trips, and riding. Racing has been sparse. And posting on BF also sparse, but I still read this forum semi-regularly.

I raced a couple of TT's today - Best on Hess, MW50+ and non-aero women. It's a 9 mile out and back with a big hill and some rollers, no real flat parts. 4th in both races. Which sounds nice, but they are much less competitive fields than the SW3 I was racing last year. Power is down a little from last year (race was just before my accident last year, when i was still being coached) - but only by 5 watts, and only 2 seconds slower. Conditions today were a bit rough, it was about 90 degrees and windy. Anyway, nice to get out and race.

Next weekend is 40K state TT champs, that's gonna hurt.
Congrats. Sorry but just congrats despite your disclaimer that your fields aren't as competitive. Why? Because you can't hide behind tactics in a TT. It's not really a fair fight in a TT if you race outside of your age group. Once you pass age 50 or so, this is even more true. Can you beat someone 5 or 10 years younger than you? Sure. If they don't know what they're doing or are less well-trained. But if they have their act together and you have your act together, the "best" competition for you is racing people within a few years of your age.

So my question is: what were the ages of the women who raced today in the "more competitive" cat 3 field?
Old 06-10-17, 08:57 PM
valygrl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, thank you, then, just thank you. This race the 3s were in their 30's I think, but we have some really fast old chicks in the area too. I actually would also have been 4th in the 3s (only 4 people raced), 4th in the 4s and 4th in 40+.

But yes I think that you are articulating something I have been doing without really thinking it through; for TTs it makes more sense to race age than category.
Old 06-10-17, 10:10 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by valygrl
Well, thank you, then, just thank you. This race the 3s were in their 30's I think, but we have some really fast old chicks in the area too. I actually would also have been 4th in the 3s (only 4 people raced), 4th in the 4s and 4th in 40+.

But yes I think that you are articulating something I have been doing without really thinking it through; for TTs it makes more sense to race age than category.
The fast old chicks are great, no one better to race against IMO, they set very high standards which is really what you want in whatever you do. If you race against them, not only do you get more relevant results but you make racing better for the old chicks.
Old 06-11-17, 08:31 AM
valygrl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wasn't clear - the fast old chicks may race SW3 or P123 rather than the 50+ - meaning, some people compete in category, others in masters, it's not consistent. Anyway, I'm looking for the "right" race to be in, which i think is probably either the 3s or the 50+, and I can never tell in advance which will be the bigger and/or harder field. This time the winning masters time was faster than the winning cat 3 time and the last-place masters time was also faster than the last-place cat 3 time. That's somewhat unusual - but i think the faster 3's raced in the P123 today because there was a big $ payout. Lots of category options!

Anyway i'm pretty happy with the race.
Old 06-11-17, 11:29 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Here's one for you. Are you sitting down?

The Sprinter just won the NCNCA District Time Trial in her age category. Won it. Outright.

Report:

I made the drive over the Sierras this past weekend to spend some time with Coach and Mrs Ex, and maybe do some racing. The purpose of the trip, originally, was to present the Masters Women 55+ Podium at the District Championship Time Trial, because it was one of the races on the Series calendar this year, and one I decided to do podium presentations for. It's a rather iconic race, and being a time trial, the women who do well in it are really high level athletes. Giving them the Bariani gift bags for their efforts was definitely appropriate! I thought, too, since I was driving all the way up there from Monterey, I'd go ahead and enter the TT, even though I haven't raced a TT since Esparto last year, and I haven't trained for TT's, at all, since then. Hey, I'm A Sprinter! At Coach's suggestion, I entered the Tour de Nez crit, too, signing up for the Cat 3/4/5 women's field. "Might as well", he said!

Here are the reports for both races, in chronological order.

Event: Tour de Nez Criterium, Cat 3/4/5 women, Reno NV
Date: June 10, 2017
Teammates: none
Placing: DFL
Weather: Cool (75 degrees) and windy, swirling winds with gusts of 25 MPH
Elevation: 4600 feet

I drove up to Reno on Friday, and Coach and I did a "spirited" openers ride around his neighborhood south of Reno that afternoon. It was a lot like my P/V Women's Team rides, but with more climbing. Well, that definitely got my legs ready!

Saturday presented us with good weather, cool, 75 degrees at our 1:10 start time, but VERY windy. The Tour de Nez course that was used was the "old course" in downtown Reno, on the Truckee River. I had never ridden it before. It's a technical, fun course, with several right and left turns, a really cool downhill chicane, and a nemesis to me - a hill. The field was small, I think 15 women, and was mostly populated by JL Velo riders, many of whom I knew.

We rolled at the whistle, and as I shifted up, I dropped my chain off of the big chainring. I managed to get it to catch, and I got going again, but the field was already out of touch. I chased them around half of the course, and finally caught them at the base of the hill, which was really bad timing and bad luck for me. I was already a bit gassed from that chasing, and then I had to get up the hill with the group - who was going gang busters, because there was an attack trying to get off the front.

The hill on the Tour de Nez old course starts at a 90 degree left hand turn, similar to the Giro de San Francisco course, but it's slightly steeper, and has a 90 degree right and then left at the top, which causes the pitch at that point to rise to about 14%. That part was a deal breaker for me!

I never did catch the field, even though I worked hard for the first half of the race to do so, thinking I'd get back in when getting lapped. It didn't happen.

I finished not last, but next to last, because one of the women had crashed out on the last lap (she was fine).

I rode really hard, and was well and truly wiped out when I headed for Kurt and Karen's home for the night.

The next morning I'd be riding the District TT. Early!

Event: NCNCA District Championship Time Trial, MW 65-69
Teammates: NH, 65-69; YW and HC, 55-59
Placing: First in the District ranking, second in the race
Weather: Cold (42 degrees) and breezy, slow conditions
Elevation: 6000 feet

I told Coach the night before that I'd ride this race was well as I could. I never approach a time trial any other way. I was confident I could ride the race reasonably well technically, I'd taken a lot of time over the preceding years working at riding them well. I didn't expect to do better than maybe third, there were three QUALITY women in the 65-69 field. I knew that field would be tough. One, my teammate, has a big endurance engine and is as steady and fierce a racer as they come, and the other is a long time racer, with many jerseys to her credit due to her big endurance engine. There was another rider from the SCNCA, out of district, who was a total phenom, a very good TT'er and was practically unbeatable. Me? I'm a sprinter. My training has been concentrated and optimised for maximal effort type events that last about two and half minutes max. Additionally I had not done a TT since Esparto last year, and that outing was less than stellar. I'd not been training for endurance, and I had not been doing base building type riding. I had been riding pretty well as of late, but TT's? I didn't expect a lot. I'd give it all I could, I always do. It's racing, you have to do that.

The masters women start times were early, we'd all be on the course by 8:35. The course was out and back, almost pancake flat, with decent to moderately rough pavement, featuring a 90 degree left turn about 1500 meters from the turn around. The weather was cold, 42 degrees at the start, and the wind was predicted to come up later in the morning. At the start, there was only a light breeze, blowing across the course from the left front.

To deal with the cold, I was wearing two T-shirts under my skinsuit, my 5Bling track sprinter full finger gloves, and my P/V shoe covers. I was warm enough. I elected to do a standing as opposed to held start, and rolled off at the tone (they were using a track count down clock). I went out relatively easy, and I had to concentrate to keep from going off too hard. I got up to speed and settled into a cadence and power that Coach and I had long since agreed was sustainable for me at altitude. My legs had felt pretty heavy in the warmup, and my heartrate was sluggish to respond, but I wasn't concerned. I thought I'd feel worse than I did in the warmup considering the thrashing I had put myself through the day before, and I was mildly pleased that I didn't feel all that bad.

Before long I realized that I was closing on the rider in front of me. I wasn't sure who it was, but I doubted it was my thirty second rider. No way I was going to catch her! As I got closer and closer to the rider I recognized that is WAS my thirty second, and I ended up passing her. She responded to that and we played ping pong with each other all the way through the turnaround. She passed me for good just prior to the right turn to the home stretch, and I turned myself inside out to keep in contact with her. I had the thought that I'd made up thirty seconds on her, and if I could stay within that, I might finish above her.

The wind started to come up on that home stretch. That just added to the misery that the home stretch of an ITT always presents! TT's hurt, they happen, and if you're not hurting, if you're comfortable, you aren't going nearly hard enough. I was definitely hurting!

With about 2K to go, I threw a nasty cramp in my right calf just as I was lifting my cadence for the final push. I had to get out of the effort and unclip briefly to shake it out. I managed to do that, but I did slow down and I had to work my way back up to speed. I don't remember the last 1K, I was totally crosseyed. I was thankful when I hit the timing strip, I'd ridden quite hard and was way deep in that pain cave.

I expected I'd given the time up to my thirty second gal, and that I had finished behind her. I also expected that my teammie had ridden as she usually does, which was well, and that I'd be behind her, too. I would be pleased to be within thirty seconds of those two ladies.

As it turned out, we were 22 seconds apart. I was first, my teammie was second, and my Thirty Second was third. You could have thrown a blanket over us.

I am still shaking my head in disbelief. I won a time trial. The District time trial!

Holy cow.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.