Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Here come new Garmin toys: Vector 3 and Edge 1030!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Here come new Garmin toys: Vector 3 and Edge 1030!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-17, 08:58 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Garmin announced plans to make an SPD version someday, back when they announced the original Vectors. It's been years, and there hasn't been so much as a whisper about it since. I'd love to see an SPD pedal meter, too. SPDs work fine on a road bike. You could just swap the pedals between bikes, as intended. But the time for holding our breath has come and gone.
Old 08-05-17, 12:16 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Really? I would call Garmin about that, if I were you. I used a 1000 for three years in all kinds of weather, including all kinds of terrain, and never once had the touchscreen get confused by sweat, rain, snow, hail, gravel, accidental touches, or anything. Never a problem with it responding. You should call customer service.
Google "garmin edge 1000 rain". First 10 hits are complaints in the Garmin support forum. The same forum is full of problems with sweat locking the screen.
Old 08-05-17, 04:50 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
Google "garmin edge 1000 rain". First 10 hits are complaints in the Garmin support forum. The same forum is full of problems with sweat locking the screen.

I don't think you understand what I typed. I'm not denying that you and perhaps others have a problem with your 1000. After all, it's an electronic device. Electronic devices sometimes break or have defects or have software issues.

What I'm saying is . . . if your 1000 doesn't work as it should (and as mine and everyone's I know who has a 1000 does), you should have it fixed. As I said in my post, "I would call Garmin about that, if I were you. . . . You should call customer service." You don't have to live with a device that doesn't work properly. The problem isn't inherent in the design. You aren't stuck with the problem unless you fail to do anything about it.
Old 08-05-17, 07:21 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I don't think you understand what I typed. I'm not denying that you and perhaps others have a problem with your 1000. After all, it's an electronic device. Electronic devices sometimes break or have defects or have software issues.

What I'm saying is . . . if your 1000 doesn't work as it should (and as mine and everyone's I know who has a 1000 does), you should have it fixed. As I said in my post, "I would call Garmin about that, if I were you. . . . You should call customer service." You don't have to live with a device that doesn't work properly. The problem isn't inherent in the design. You aren't stuck with the problem unless you fail to do anything about it.
Did you google the problem? Garmin can't fix it. It's a design flaw. It's a capacitive touch screen, not resistive like the other Garmins. Here's an article that will explain the issue in more detail: Why Does A Drop Of Water Confuse My Touchscreen? | Popular Science
Old 08-05-17, 04:15 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
**Only MTB pedal I know of offhand where the only contact between shoe and pedal is the cleat (like in road shoes), is the Speedplay Syzr.
Look S-Track too. Some narrow or smaller shoes might come into contact with the edges of the pedal, but mine sure don't.

As to the Edge 1030, if the Karoo delivers on just most of it's promises, I see it taking a chunk of Garmin's market. Because I can't see the 1030 being all that much better than the 1000. I mean, look at the leaps and bounds they made from the 520 to the 820.

Last edited by DrIsotope; 08-05-17 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-05-17, 06:07 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Recently, I needed pedals, and a power meter. Buying Vector 2 over P1 was a no brainer. I wasn't willing to spend an extra ~$400 for a slightly simpler installation, which is going to happen rarely, and a much uglier pedal. (The difference in sticker price isn't so big, but it's easy to get a discount on Vectors.)
I bought the P1s because installation is extremely frequent for me - they are my travel power meter for rental and borrowed bikes. I hate how heavy they are and how hard they are to get out of and how short the battery life is. If those V3s are good, I would switch.
Old 08-06-17, 11:13 AM
ReLLiK75

Bikes: 2014 Look 695, 2012 Look 695, 2011 Giant Anthem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Recently, I needed pedals, and a power meter. Buying Vector 2 over P1 was a no brainer. I wasn't willing to spend an extra ~$400 for a slightly simpler installation, which is going to happen rarely, and a much uglier pedal. (The difference in sticker price isn't so big, but it's easy to get a discount on Vectors.)
You should check out the Favero Assiomas. Brand new design over the original BePros. Rechargeable batteries, no calibration, plug n play like the P1s but for $750! I just did my first ride with them yesterday and they're great!
Old 08-06-17, 12:01 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
I love how bullet point 2 on the pedals is *easy to install*. Yeah, they're pedals. Duh.
They 'are' easy to install. The other pedal based systems need a torque wrench I think.
Old 08-06-17, 12:09 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
I bought the P1s because installation is extremely frequent for me - they are my travel power meter for rental and borrowed bikes. I hate how heavy they are and how hard they are to get out of and how short the battery life is. If those V3s are good, I would switch.

I agree with the 'hard to get out off'. Had to sell my wife's pedals as she found it really hard to unclip, though I didn't find it that hard.
Old 08-06-17, 01:28 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
Did you google the problem? Garmin can't fix it. It's a design flaw. It's a capacitive touch screen, not resistive like the other Garmins. Here's an article that will explain the issue in more detail: Why Does A Drop Of Water Confuse My Touchscreen? | Popular Science

That was 2015. It is now 2017. Have you ever contacted Garmin? They've made numerous software changes in the meantime to address issues like this. I hate to keep bringing up common sense ideas, but . . . Google has never fixed or replaced anyone's defective Garmin. Granted, if your Garmin is one of the Chinese counterfeits, they probably won't fix it . . . but most people don't have this problem.

If your air conditioner quits, do you just post time after time that Google says air conditioners break and are, therefore, inherently flawed? Or do you get it fixed? (I get mine fixed.)
Old 08-06-17, 02:03 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
That was 2015. It is now 2017. Have you ever contacted Garmin? They've made numerous software changes in the meantime to address issues like this. )
Good point about contacting Garmin. "Sometimes" their tech support folks can help fix the problems. I had some early crashes with my 810, a phone call got me fixed.

Problem is the general complaints you see over and over about Garmin, including their phone support, is they do not and will not fix what is just obviously bad software. They also seemingly suck at taking suggestions and acting upon them. It doesn't take much to use Google to search for the countless problems folks have with Garmin cycling units going back 10 years.

On my one and only phone call I commented that the 810 allowed the user to record a ride on a number of different bikes, all the data for those bikes is stored in the unit. Changing the bike for a particular ride is actually easy on the unit as well. Trouble is the bike of the day is not data that is ported up to Connect when the ride gets saved. You have to edit in Connect if you desire to keep track of mileage in a web file, on different bikes. I mentioned to the Garmin phone guy that it would be nice if they would add that feature. He thought so too and suggested I write it up. Huh ?. Why don;t YOU write it up numbnuts ?. But I did write it into a web e-mail. And heard nothing and a software update later nothing was added. Seem's like a useful function, but it's too much work for Garmin.

I do not at this point expect that anything will get better with Garmin cycling computers, they will continue to be buggy. The 820 screen sensitivity to water issue, DID get solved it seems. Now I read about how the 820 has terrible battery life if you keep the screen on at all times, even on data, getting maybe 5 hrs. Again - Really ?. That's just BS.

Bottom line is sometimes contacting Garmin gets you nowhere and that's a common complaint across the internet, while searching on Google often yields better results.
Old 08-06-17, 04:44 PM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That was 2015. It is now 2017. Have you ever contacted Garmin? They've made numerous software changes in the meantime to address issues like this. I hate to keep bringing up common sense ideas, but . . . Google has never fixed or replaced anyone's defective Garmin. Granted, if your Garmin is one of the Chinese counterfeits, they probably won't fix it . . . but most people don't have this problem.

If your air conditioner quits, do you just post time after time that Google says air conditioners break and are, therefore, inherently flawed? Or do you get it fixed? (I get mine fixed.)
It isn't software. It's a capacitive touchscreen. I provided a link to why they don't work with water. Did you read it?
Old 08-06-17, 05:13 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts

I contacted Garmin about it and they told me the fix is to lock the touchscreen when riding, which does make the screen stop activating when water hits it.
Old 08-06-17, 08:51 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
On my one and only phone call I commented that the 810 allowed the user to record a ride on a number of different bikes, all the data for those bikes is stored in the unit. Changing the bike for a particular ride is actually easy on the unit as well. Trouble is the bike of the day is not data that is ported up to Connect when the ride gets saved. You have to edit in Connect if you desire to keep track of mileage in a web file, on different bikes. I mentioned to the Garmin phone guy that it would be nice if they would add that feature. He thought so too and suggested I write it up. Huh ?. Why don;t YOU write it up numbnuts ?. But I did write it into a web e-mail. And heard nothing and a software update later nothing was added. Seem's like a useful function, but it's too much work for Garmin.
At a lot of software companies, suggestions and requests that come directly from customers are given more weight among decision makers (product management) than ideas that come from support or programming staff. Most places have an endless backlog of features to eventually add, but a product manager has to prioritize which ones actually get done.
Old 08-07-17, 06:00 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
At a lot of software companies, suggestions and requests that come directly from customers are given more weight among decision makers (product management) than ideas that come from support or programming staff. Most places have an endless backlog of features to eventually add, but a product manager has to prioritize which ones actually get done.
Well OK, but easy enough for the phone tech support guy to log it as a "suggestion from a customer". He was too lazy to do that, or they have no automatic mechanism to do that. Sad, but that seems to be how Garmin functions.
Old 08-07-17, 12:04 PM
cellery

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
re: touchscreen. On the 820 - heavy rain makes it start glitching out and it will think you are touching the screen when you're not. I've had rides I was on end and not save because of this. This still happens with sweat on the screen, albeit to a lesser degree. And then when it's dry out, on the most sensitive setting it will register a button push (like it lights up) but the screen won't change - you have to hit it a bunch of times even though graphically it is registering a push. On medium sensitivity it is downright unresponsive. If the new 1030 touchscreen is half as good as a 2007 iphone, I would say jump on it - but I cannot recommend a garmin touchscreen product because the touch is that bad on the current model. This after numerous firmware updates designed to fix the issue.
Old 08-07-17, 12:29 PM
stockae92

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ReLLiK75
You should check out the Favero Assiomas. Brand new design over the original BePros. Rechargeable batteries, no calibration, plug n play like the P1s but for $750! I just did my first ride with them yesterday and they're great!
Does Favero Assiomas affect the Q factor from "regular" pedals?

The weight seems right at 150g per pedal (which is lighter than P1 I believe)
Old 08-07-17, 10:32 PM
ReLLiK75

Bikes: 2014 Look 695, 2012 Look 695, 2011 Giant Anthem

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stockae92

Not at all. Exactly the same as my Look Blades.
Old 08-08-17, 04:10 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3137 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by stockae92

Originally Posted by ReLLiK75
Not at all. Exactly the same as my Look Blades.
Pedals don't have anything to do with Q factor. "Pedal stance," I presume, is what y'all are talking about. Q affects pedal stance, but not the other way 'round; Q is the distance between the outsides of the cranksrms at the pedal mounts.