Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Aelle tubing opinions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Aelle tubing opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-19, 06:38 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Aelle tubing opinions

On average about 15 oz heavier than SL per frame. How’s the quality? Stiffer, noodly, just depends?
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 04-06-19, 07:04 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Hanging the bikes on a scale or if your Professional Rider you might notice the difference. I don't have a lot of recent experience with SL and my only ALLE frame is crimped. But from recollections the ride quality of my ALLE bike was very similar to my Bianchi wif their Formula 2 tubing, which is allegedly TreTubi SL and whatever.

Despite what we want to think and definitely pontificate about I suspect in a blind study many of wouldn't feel the difference between a Alle, SL, CroMor or Oria frame of similar quality.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-06-19, 07:16 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Columbus Aelle Tubing

Originally Posted by horatio
On average about 15 oz heavier than SL per frame. How’s the quality? Stiffer, noodly, just depends?

The original version of Columbus Aelle tubing was straight gauge with 0.8mm wall thickness main tubes. It was developed to compete in the mid price range market that Durifort/Vitus 888 had, especially in the French market. Also Tange Mangalloy and Ishiwata Magny, Reynolds 501, Oria and a few other tubing manufacturers.

Aelle was seamed tubing made of Carbon Manganese steel with about 2/3rds the strength of the higher alloys steels like Reynolds 531, 4130, Columbus Cylex which was 4130 and used in SL & SP, Tange, Ishiwata, Super Vitus plus other similar steels.

The seamed tubes were drawn to eliminate any potential short comings from the seams.
1978 Columbus Tubing Specs

1983 Aelle Specs

Columbus started making Aelle R with butted 3 main tubes and later a lighter version of Aelle tubing.

Original Aelle sticker

Butted Aelle R sticker

"Stiffer, noodly, just depends" Those questions are not particularly relevant to the type of steel a particular tubing is made of. They are more a function of geometry, frame size and so on.

Aside from tubing diameter, the wall thickness is a big determinate affecting stiffness.

The reason for using higher strength steels is to make thinner tubes that weigh less and can provide a livelier feel.

Answering your questions opens a can of worms that I don't want to get into. Other members will jump in and address those issues.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 04-06-19, 07:32 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
... just depends?
Just depends, have you read this:Magnificent 7
Old 04-06-19, 07:51 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by verktyg
The original version of Columbus Aelle tubing was straight gauge with 0.8mm wall thickness main tubes. It was developed to compete in the mid price range market that Durifort/Vitus 888 had, especially in the French market. Also Tange Mangalloy and Ishiwata Magny, Reynolds 501, Oria and a few other tubing manufacturers.

Aelle was seamed tubing made of Carbon Manganese steel with about 2/3rds the strength of the higher alloys steels like Reynolds 531, 4130, Columbus Cylex which was 4130 and used in SL & SP, Tange, Ishiwata, Super Vitus plus other similar steels.

The seamed tubes were drawn to eliminate any potential short comings from the seams.
1978 Columbus Tubing Specs
Original Aelle sticker

verktyg

Interesting facts No? But I believe he asked for you opinion yes? (please read this with your worst French accent)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-06-19, 08:07 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
The original version of Columbus Aelle tubing was straight gauge with 0.8mm wall thickness main tubes. It was developed to compete in the mid price range market that Durifort/Vitus 888 had, especially in the French market. Also Tange Mangalloy and Ishiwata Magny, Reynolds 501, Oria and a few other tubing manufacturers....
Tange Mangalloy, Ishiwata Magny and Reynolds 501 weren't released until several years after Aelle. I believe Aelle was created in direct response to Falck and plain gauge Reynolds 531.

When the 1970s bicycle boom arrived, Columbus was the dominant supplier of tubing for high end Italian models. However, they were not as well regarded outside Italy and did not have a mid-range tubeset. The Italian mid-range market was dominated by another Italian tubing manufacturer, Falck. Throughout the boom, there was more than enough business to go around and both companies prospered, even expanding capacity to meet demand.

However, when the boom went bust in 1975 profits plummeted and there was a lot of unused capacity. The low volume, high end, Italian manufacturers, who had been Columbus' prime market, looked to maintain cash flow by expanding product lines downwards, into the mid-range market. This would increase Falck's prestige and market share, to Columbus' detriment.

The introduction of Aelle effectively terminated Falck's courting of the high end, low volume builders in Italy. It was easier and more cost effective for these small companies to deal with a single tubing vendor, especially one with whom they had already established a working relationship. In effect, Aelle allowed Columbus to retain its status as then #1 Italian tubing manufacturer.

The other major factor in introducing Aelle, was the competition from Reynolds. During the early 1970s boom, English language publications touted Reynolds 531 as the world's best bicycle tubing. This was largely accepted as fact as, with the exception of Italian builders, the vast majority of European, high end bicycles used Reynolds 531. It was only reinforced by the fact that some prestigious Italian builders, such as Cinelli and Masi, offered Reynolds 531 models.

Reynolds also offered a broader product range. There was plain gauge 531 used on lower mid-range models like the Raleigh Super Course and several Falcon models. Reynolds cemented its status as World #1 with the 1976 introduction of Reynolds 531 SL and 753, the world's lightest tubesets.

Undoubtedly, Reynold's reputation gnawed at Columbus. A lot of big races that appeared to have been won on Reynolds were actually rebranded frames that had been manufactured in Italy using Columbus tubesets, but the public didn't know that. Columbus's introduced several new tubesets circa 1978. Aelle was a direct shot at Reynolds 531 plain gauge. Columbus KL was meant to compete with 531SL and 753. Columbus would eventually go one better than Reynolds, introducing hi-tensile Zeta for upper, entry level models. For me, there is little doubt that Columbus was trying to wrestle the market share from Reynolds.

Undoubtedly, there was a major shift to Columbus in the very late 1970s and early 1980s. Much of this was due to the expanded product range but it also had to do with the education of the American cyclist caused by a fundamental shift in the market towards smaller, more upscale brands.

When the boom crashed, a lot of the mass volume manufacturers exited the USA market or set-up their owner distribution to maintain profit margins by cutting out the middleman. Many domestic importers disappeared, while those that remained and new ones looked for more exclusive brands. This often meant smaller brands, that previously had little American exposure.

At the same time, many cyclists remaining in the sport were looking to upgrade and wanting something more exotic than a Peugeot PX10 or Raleigh Professional. In addition to the Cinelli, Colango and Masi of the boom era, the distribution shakeup had brought a lot of smaller Italian marques to greater prominence, with names like Benotto, Ciocc, Guerciotti, Olmo, Pinarello and Tommasini.

With the market shift came magazine coverage of these marques, which helped build Columbus' reputation. To top it off, word started filtering through that a lot of pro riders actually rode rebranded Italian frames with Columbus tubing. And of course, cycling idol Eddy Mercx was now building his own frames, using Columbus tubing. The American public was realizing that Columbus was just as good as Reynolds.

As public opinion shifted, the mass volumes manufacturers followed, in an attempt not to lose market share. I maintain this is why many French manufacturers switched to Columbus.

Last edited by T-Mar; 04-06-19 at 08:12 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 04-06-19, 08:20 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I seriously need to work on giving longer answers!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-06-19, 08:55 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Just depends, have you read this:Magnificent 7
Yes, according to Magnificent 7, it produced a good-riding bicycle.

Jon said Aelle was 0.8 mm wall thickness. Reynolds straight gauge (531 steel) wall thickness was 1.0 mm. Stiffness of the Aelle was 36% less than for Reynolds straight gauge, as used in the first generation of the Super Course. No idea of the comparison between finished bicycles of Aelle and Reynolds straight.
Old 04-06-19, 08:56 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I seriously need to work on giving longer answers!
Yes, the person who says "yes" with the most words wins!
Old 04-06-19, 08:58 AM
T-Mar

Now, back to the OP's question. Columbus Aelle was a good, mid-range, plain gauge tubeset for its era, in direct competition with Falck plain gauge, Reynolds 531 plain gauge and Vitus 888, While it is heavier than most butted tubesets, it is not necessarily a worse ride. Many factors affect the ride characteristics of a frame, the most notable being geometry. However, all things being equal other than the tubeset, Aelle theoretically offers a stiffer ride with less shock absorption. Whether or not riders will be able to detect this, is another matter. In my experience, the weight and price advantage were the big factors, influencing most Aelle buyers. Aelle bicycles offered a notable weight reduction over the hi-tensile frame that most were upgrading from, at a reasonable price increase. The weight saving to price increase ratio to step up to SL wasn't justifiable in their opinion.
Old 04-06-19, 09:16 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Many thanks for all the replies. Recently saw a Ciocc with Aelle tubing. Got me to wondering. There's a good chance my rusty old Ciocc has Aelle tubing. Stickers were long gone. How can one tell straight gauge tubing?
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 04-06-19, 10:16 AM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
My Aelle tubed Oschner bicycle felt noticeably stiffer than the manganese spiced steel of my previous ride, a Puch Pathfinder AD (made with Puch blended 2800 tubing). I bought the Pathfinder AD on the recommendation of a fellow rider/friend, who said that Reynolds 531 tubing used manganese (instead of chromoly) in their steel, to juice it up. So, it made some sense to me to give another, similar spiced mix of steel, a go. The Oschner was stiffer, but it also beat me up more, and thus made long rides less enjoyable (and maybe harder to convince myself to take). Like many design choices, there are always trade offs. So, my path to an Aelle spec'ed bicycle was just as T-Mar mapped out; I wanted something more upscale, but a real superbike was out of the question for the college going me back then. I think we all tend to pontificate the virtues of whatever we end up buying/riding, for the most part. I myself, I want to ride as many bicycles as I can, and experience and enjoy them all, for their good and bad points, as cornball as that may sound.
Old 04-06-19, 10:33 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
In 1975 Columbus ran a series of display ads, “America discovers Columbus”
featuring Eddy holding up his Merckx branded bike ( probably a DeRosa )

Old 04-06-19, 12:25 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Yes, according to Magnificent 7, it produced a good-riding bicycle.

Jon said Aelle was 0.8 mm wall thickness. Reynolds straight gauge (531 steel) wall thickness was 1.0 mm. Stiffness of the Aelle was 36% less than for Reynolds straight gauge, as used in the first generation of the Super Course. No idea of the comparison between finished bicycles of Aelle and Reynolds straight.
Reynolds 531 plain gauge main tubes were available in several gauges, including 0.8mm wall thickness, identical to Aelle.
Old 04-06-19, 12:37 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
All other things held equal a straight gauge frame will be stiffer and heavier than a butted frame. For larger frames or for strong guys this may well be a positive. Considered this way Aelle sort of fits between SL and SP (and similar thickness Reynolds, etc). Nothing wrong with that. For a smaller frame I might hedge more; if the smaller rider is less strong the extra weight and unnecessary stiffness would be a negative.
Old 04-06-19, 12:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Used it in building my DIY frame in 1975, bike is still fine to this day .
I built a Light touring bike not a race bike ..

I brazed it together , Used Lugs at the joints.

How can one tell straight gauge tubing?
If the seat tube is butted, that's a thinner top & thicker bottom , straight gage is uniform throughout..

0.9 mm wall x 2 = 1.8 // 28.6 -1.8 = 26.8 , so seat post is 26.8* not 27.2..
* I Have a 26.8 seatpost in it.

and there is the plink with your thumbnail,test, does it sound different in the center?

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-06-19 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-06-19, 02:15 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Originally Posted by fietsbob
If the seat tube is butted, that's a thinner top & thicker bottom , straight gage is uniform throughout..

0.9 mm wall x 2 = 1.8 // 28.6 -1.8 = 26.8 , so seat post is 26.8* not 27.2..
* I Have a 26.8 seatpost in it.

and there is the plink with your thumbnail,test, does it sound different in the center?
OK. I understand butted tubes are thinner in the middles. Kinda hard to see with the nekked eye, though. The plinking I can do!

My Ciocc takes a 27.2 seat post, so it's probably SL tubing.

Old 04-06-19, 02:34 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,206 Posts
As an aside, Ryffranck says EL oversize nivacrom tubing is the best columbus made.

Old 04-06-19, 03:29 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Yep, My Ciocc is Aelle , Seat tube 26,8 and still has original sticker. Bought off the shelf in Germany. To me, ride quality has always been good.KB
Old 04-06-19, 04:51 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Originally Posted by kcblair
Yep, My Ciocc is Aelle , Seat tube 26,8 and still has original sticker. Bought off the shelf in Germany. To me, ride quality has always been good.KB
Now that’s what I’m wanting to hear.

Old 04-06-19, 05:56 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

Now that’s what I’m wanting to hear.
I also have a custom made Concorde, with Columbus Cromor. To me, both bikes have a great ride quality . But, that ride quality came from SA leather saddle and moving from 23mm to 25mm wide tires. The article referenced above, Magnificent 7, was good reading. KB
Old 04-06-19, 06:32 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,678 Posts
My Bianchi Eco Pista that I bought in 1982 was Aelle tubing. Maybe my favorite of all of the steel bikes I've owned, which have included a Columbus SL/SP Bianchi Specialissima and several Reynolds 531 bikes (Raleigh Professional, Atala Professional, Schwinn Paramount, Helyett Speciale, Raleigh International, etc.). That Aelle Eco Pista was something special.
Old 04-07-19, 06:27 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
As an aside, Ryffranck says EL oversize nivacrom tubing is the best columbus made.
Great video and fabulous Gentleman. I've never ridden one but I think I may agree with him on the EL OS tubing although I would likely prefer the Mini MAX tubing derived from that tubeset.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-07-19, 04:26 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Reynolds 531 plain gauge main tubes were available in several gauges, including 0.8mm wall thickness, identical to Aelle.
Ok, tx!
Old 04-07-19, 04:48 PM
Road Fan

I have nowhere near the depth and background of M. Ryffranck, but I have an ELOS Mondonico, and it is a great bike with a great ride.

I've never had an Aelle bike. I'm in the middle of rebuilding a 1952 Rudge Aero Special (same as 1952 Raleigh Super Lenton) with straight gauge Reynolds 531, and I can report on that when I'm done. But it is VERY different in weight and geometry, from my more modern 2005 Mondonico.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.