Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First road bike, essential tools/products for maintenance?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-20, 09:23 AM
TitaniumHwite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys!

There's probably a few threads on this already and I'm sure get asked daily/weekly but I tried searching to no avail (not really sure what to search) so I'd like to apologise first .

I'm getting my first road bike in a few days its a SuperSix EVO 105 disc. I've owned several different bikes before but this is my first serious road bike and I'd like to look after it. What are some must have tools and/or products that I should have for general maintenance? Bearing in mind I've moved to a new country so only have a set of precision screwdrivers in terms of tools and I doubt they'll be handy on my bike. Any help is much appreciated!
Old 07-07-20, 09:32 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
I would suggest a quality set of allen keys and a torque wrench. I like Park tools. They have a handheld version that is decently cheap and works well:

​​​​​​https://www.parktool.com/product/adj...driver-atd-1-2
Old 07-07-20, 12:53 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Allen keys for sure, torque wrench is optional but highly recommended when tightening CF components. I bought an all in one tool box from BIKEHAND on Amazon a few months ago that came with a needle torque wrench and it's OK. Tools are a little cheap, but the price was really low and they do the job.

Some good lubricant & tools to perform maintenance on your drivetrain is also recommended - brushes, degreaser, rags, etc. Don't let that thing get dirty! It should always look like it's new, even the chain. I use fuel or WD-40 to degrease mine.

Last edited by eduskator; 07-07-20 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-07-20, 01:00 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Chain wear tool (a newer one from Park and Pedro's since 11sp requires more accurate measurement).

Chain whip, lockring tool, adjustable wrench.
Old 07-07-20, 01:15 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
But with all the suggestions for tools (so many I will not even comment), don’t forget literature like my favorite which is the latest edition of Lennard Zinn’s “Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance”.
Old 07-07-20, 02:14 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Good floor pump, chain lube, tire levers. Set of hex wrenches. Wait on the others until you need them.
Old 07-07-20, 02:28 PM
TitaniumHwite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it! More things than I expected and I've certainly got a small shopping list but it's worth it. I want to to look after it and will aim to keep it looking new
Old 07-07-20, 03:46 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by TitaniumHwite
Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it! More things than I expected and I've certainly got a small shopping list but it's worth it. I want to to look after it and will aim to keep it looking new
While I admire your want to keep it looking good, don’t be afraid to ride it either...LOL