Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

David Kirk Built Fishlips bike is Done....mostly.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-07-21, 06:16 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts

Fedex doesn't normally come here on Sunday so I didn't expect to see the saddle for this until tomorrow. But I got lucky and they dropped it off this afternoon. So I mounted 'er up and taped up the handlebars. Wound up having to use a different seatpost than I wanted but I'll sort that out. Bike comes in a 20 lbs 5 ozs if that really matters. Right now I've got a set of black rimmed wheels on it but I have some silver rimmed Sydney 2000/Athena wheels on the way. Have to see which I like best.

Anyway, this was built up with a beautiful Daytona groupset I got off Paceline. I had bought another one for this bike but when the Daytona popped up, it seemed perfect. Still will be waiting for the winter roads to clear before I take this out. Needless to say though, I am super excited to feel this one under me out on the road.

David Kirk sure does some beautiful work!!!!

Bad conditions for my usual bike pics but I did grab some today.

Old 03-07-21, 06:19 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Absolutely nailed it! Gorgeous bike, I'm a huge fan of the blue/white/silver look! Look at that blue detail work on the bottle cage bolts and bar ends!
Old 03-07-21, 08:10 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 214 Posts
Beautiful bike. Nitpicking to ignore: I would rather the stem be lowered, and flipped. Or just flipped. I know the 7 shape mirrors a quill, but having that stack go up and then the stem point down is silly imo. Also the white bottle cages are 1 step too far into white matchey and would look better silver.
Old 03-08-21, 01:37 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 625 Times in 286 Posts
Feh. Definitely feel free to ignore. Stem/etc look fine, nothing silly about it. White cages look spiffy. Silver would make me think "why didn't he get white?" Unless they were stainless, in which case I'd think "Oh, he's a stainless man."

Kinda neat those Bonty cages have a dual mounting position. Very clever, gives you a little more control over cage position without having to resort to one of those under-cage-bar-sliding thingies.

King cage also offers his standard-style cage in a cage-lowering design that positions the cage about an inch lower. He doesn't/can't do that with his Iris cage, my fave, I think because the Iris curves don't allow much higher placement of the anchor plates, which is what you need to do for the cage to sit lower.

My Kirk Terraplane has fishmouth stay ends, too. Kirk does beautiful work.
Old 03-08-21, 07:55 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by pcb
Feh. Definitely feel free to ignore. Stem/etc look fine, nothing silly about it. White cages look spiffy. Silver would make me think "why didn't he get white?" Unless they were stainless, in which case I'd think "Oh, he's a stainless man."

Kinda neat those Bonty cages have a dual mounting position. Very clever, gives you a little more control over cage position without having to resort to one of those under-cage-bar-sliding thingies.

King cage also offers his standard-style cage in a cage-lowering design that positions the cage about an inch lower. He doesn't/can't do that with his Iris cage, my fave, I think because the Iris curves don't allow much higher placement of the anchor plates, which is what you need to do for the cage to sit lower.

Yeah, I already went down the path of both silver, black, and blue cages on my one Lemond and realized I just think the white looks best. I like the stem too. It's perfectly level and correct in my book. Not to mention that getting the bars where I need them wins over looks any time.

Old 03-08-21, 08:43 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 214 Posts
the bars would be in the same place if you flipped the stem and moved it down 1 spacer. It's just more economical. Less material, less leverage on the head bearings.
Atm you're going up to come down.
so then it is aesthetics of keeping nice parallel lines winning out.
Though, a good reason to keep it how it is now, is you don't have to cut the fork. So it stays more flexible in future. So there's that I guess.

I'm really not saying you should do either way lol, just giving my 2c
Old 03-08-21, 09:45 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Soody
the bars would be in the same place if you flipped the stem and moved it down 1 spacer. It's just more economical. Less material, less leverage on the head bearings.
Atm you're going up to come down.
so then it is aesthetics of keeping nice parallel lines winning out.
Though, a good reason to keep it how it is now, is you don't have to cut the fork. So it stays more flexible in future. So there's that I guess.

I'm really not saying you should do either way lol, just giving my 2c
LOL, it's all good but a stem on a steel road bike belongs level just like the top tube.

And I'm not expert but if I flipped that 17 degree stem I'm pretty sure it's going to have to go down more than one spacer to even come close to getting the reach I need. Correct?

But what do I know. I think this bike should have had a quill stem setup in the first place, LOL! Although the good thing about the treadless setup is the ability to easily swap things around. I'll probably wind up playing with this some but who knows. I didn't want to cut the stem as I realize I may only have 10 or so good riding years left in me before this bike moves on. Or, gasp, I may not like the ride or fail to "connect" with the bike and sell it. Who knows? I do hate the look of a lot of spacers on top of a stem, blech! I got it from the P.O. with a 6 degree stem slammed to the headset with a bunch of spacers on top, To me that looks ridiculous.

Stress on the bearings and how David designed it to be used does have me curious. Looking at a lot of his work shows he does run his stems at a positive but shallow angle. Hmmmmm....

All good food for thought and now I'm wondering. Good stuff, learning new things and looking at things with a different perspective.
Old 03-09-21, 05:15 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb

The Bontrager cages have keyholes, so you don't have to completely remove the bolts when mounting the cage. It works if you have the right sized bolt head to fit through the hole and in the recessed slot.
Old 03-14-21, 03:41 PM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody
Beautiful bike. Nitpicking to ignore: I would rather the stem be lowered, and flipped. Or just flipped. I know the 7 shape mirrors a quill, but having that stack go up and then the stem point down is silly imo. Also the white bottle cages are 1 step too far into white matchey and would look better silver.
Beg to differ, but parallelism of the stem and top tube must be maintained. Otherwise it would be ... incorrect.
Likes For Ronsonic:
Old 03-14-21, 04:18 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Stunning. I love how clean it looks, with minimal logos and branding.
Old 03-14-21, 04:55 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Stunning great job!
Old 03-14-21, 06:05 PM
jamesdak 

Swapped that Thomsen seatpost for a nice silver V.O. one. Thought I was going to fully finish this Friday but the silver campagnolo wheels I bought for this came in a bit damaged. Freehub bent up two spokes on the front. Dropped 'em off Saturday at the LBS for new spokes. Once I get them back I'll put them on an that should finish it up. Unless I don't like the ride quality of the wheels or the saddle. I almost took it out today but opted for the Evans bike instead.

I'd love to run my white Fizik Kurve Chameleon saddle on this but the red rails (why did they do that?) just look odd on the bike.
Old 04-22-21, 08:04 PM
jamesdak 

Well, finally got back to this. Put on some silver Campagnolo wheels like I had always originally planned. Mounted GP 4000s II 700 x 28 tires on it for now. As of right now she's 22 lbs and 4 ozs. Hopefully I get it out tomorrow to see how it rides with the new shoes on it. I do like the look of it a lot better with these wheels than I did with the black rims. Most likely I'm also going to put a white Fizik Kurve saddle on this but first I need to figure out what to do about the red rails on it. That just won't look right on this.

Old 04-23-21, 02:38 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Well, finally got back to this. Put on some silver Campagnolo wheels like I had always originally planned. Mounted GP 4000s II 700 x 28 tires on it for now. As of right now she's 22 lbs and 4 ozs. Hopefully I get it out tomorrow to see how it rides with the new shoes on it. I do like the look of it a lot better with these wheels than I did with the black rims. Most likely I'm also going to put a white Fizik Kurve saddle on this but first I need to figure out what to do about the red rails on it. That just won't look right on this.

James, IMO, this set up is THE ONE! This is just a great, classic look. I have a hankering for a set of those wheels for my Ochsner. Which model are they?
Old 04-23-21, 06:14 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by delbiker1
James, IMO, this set up is THE ONE! This is just a great, classic look. I have a hankering for a set of those wheels for my Ochsner. Which model are they?
They are Campagnolo Sydney 2000/Athena wheels. Pretty heavy by today's standards so I'm curious to see if they impact the riding experience in a negative way
Old 04-23-21, 06:24 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,862 Posts
They are Campagnolo Sydney 2000/Athena wheels. Pretty heavy by today's standards so I'm curious to see if they impact the riding experience in a negative way
I love the Atlanta rims. They are nice and pliant. A bit on the heavier side, but they are great wheels...Chorus hubs on mine so similar.
'
Bike looks beautiful.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 04-23-21, 01:28 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Most likely I'm also going to put a white Fizik Kurve saddle on this but first I need to figure out what to do about the red rails on it. That just won't look right on this.
Would it be crazy to swap the white, rear brake cable housing for red?
Old 04-23-21, 02:07 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Would it be crazy to swap the white, rear brake cable housing for red?
In my mind yeah.

What I'm thinking is either paint the rails black or maybe even using the matching blue paint (fingernail polish) I have for this.

Now my reality is I'll probably though the Kurve saddle on as it is to test the overall feel and then totatlly forget about the red rails, problem solved.
Old 06-11-21, 08:29 PM
jamesdak 

Well,,,, I did put on the Kurve saddle and then never worried about it. Bike has felt good on it's few rides but I could feel those heavy wheels. Got some cheap Campagnolo Zonda C17's in from PBK and decided to throw them on this for a few ride to see if they have a positive impact on the riding experience.

Those old silver wheels sure were heavy. With them and the Fizik saddle it was weighing 22 lbs 5 ozs. With the swap to the Zonda's it's now 20 lbs 6 ozs.

Last edited by jamesdak; 06-12-21 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-19-22, 09:03 PM
jamesdak 

Never did a proper shoot of this one so I tried to get 'er done today. Unfortunately I threw out my back this morning literally just walking across the living room getting things ready for a ride. Anyway, after a few hours it was feeling a bit better so I tried to shoot some better pics of the bike. Halfway in the spasms kicked in again and while I tried to keep going I had to quit. Anyway did manage some decent shots and just processed them. This really is one beautiful bike.

Sticking with the Zonda wheels over those silver ones I originally tried on it.

David's lugwork is so nice in my eyes.

Front's not bad either, some touch up by me but looking pretty good for it's age.

Classic fork crown.

Clean work on the rear dropouts.

The Daytona parts work really well and look great.

I like how clean the seat clamp and seatstays are.

Decent size tire makes it comfortable and fast.

Looks pretty mint

Pretty dang cool bottom bracket, notice the red primer that's under the GIOS blue paint...
Old 06-19-22, 09:05 PM
jamesdak 

Those front lugs are pretty cool too!

More detail

And more detail

Yeah, it's sexy

Took off most of the Fishlips decals but left this one.

And this one.