Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gps computer recommendations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gps computer recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-21, 02:42 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
The new rings are much thicker, a little smaller but fit fine on my stem. The plastice mount and rubber gasket are pretty much exact like Garmin. I got a plastic HB mount that extends forward, cool I always wanted to try one of those but not sure if I wanted one for $50 as I'd go for alum version. I have the little rubber protective outside case on the unit so looks slightly bigger. I'm happy with it. Excuse my bike room pics, won't actually go on the road till tonight.
Thanks a lot. I watched a video review and the guy said the backlight stays on from 6-9am and you can't turn it off. I thought that was odd because it will drain the battery. It seems like it would make it hard to see the screen when the sun it up. Do you have an issue with that?

And on another subject, I wonder if companies will start making gps's that are super thin like cell phones are today. I'm sure they will. The one thing about gps's I don't like are that they're so boxy.
Old 05-12-21, 05:05 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 1,352 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
And on another subject, I wonder if companies will start making gps's that are super thin like cell phones are today. I'm sure they will. The one thing about gps's I don't like are that they're so boxy.
Not likely or not anytime soon. Physics doesn't really allow it.

Many complain that the Garmin 1030 is too big due to it's big screen.

You need volume for the battery. A thinner 1030 would need a bigger screen.

The Karoo 1 is quite large (as far as cycling computers go). The Karoo 2 is a "more reasonable" size but he battery life is significantly worse.

People also want the things at a reasonable cost.

There's a trade off for size, thinness, battery life, and cost. Thinness is the least important, by far, of the four.
​​​​​
​​
People complain that phone batteries don't last long enough. One reason for that is because manufactures favor making them thinner.
Old 05-12-21, 03:33 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by waxcrazy
Ended up getting the Xoss on Amazon for $24.90 with applied coupon!
Wow, I don't recall it being that inexpensive when I was looking for a wireless computer for my son. Would have gladly spent the extra $5 over the basic sensor one I got with unintelligible instructions and batteries that have to be replaced.