Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My bike feels bumpy but the shop can't find anything wrong with it

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-05-21, 03:41 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts

Yea, this one is an annoying problem. A couple of weeks ago while on a ride, I started to notice my bike felt bumpy. When I'm riding well-paved roads, I still feel like I'm riding bumpy roads. I'm stumped. It feels like it is the front tires. I took my bike into the shop twice and the manager doesn't seem to think anything is off. But I know that something doesn't feel right. I can feel the bike vibrating harder. I thought the tires might have been worn but he said they look fine. What else could it be? Shock absorption? I'm not pumping up the tires any more than usual. But it doesn't feel right. The bike actually feels lighter, but it feels like there's something making the front tires bump hard. He even rode it for a minute and said it felt pretty fine to him. He said if I want I could schedule a time for him to look at it for a longer period of time. But do you have any suggestions? Bikes cannot just feel weird all of a sudden if there's nothing wrong with it, right?
Old 06-05-21, 03:57 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
Yea, this one is an annoying problem. A couple of weeks ago while on a ride, I started to notice my bike felt bumpy. When I'm riding well-paved roads, I still feel like I'm riding bumpy roads. I'm stumped. It feels like it is the front tires. I took my bike into the shop twice and the manager doesn't seem to think anything is off. But I know that something doesn't feel right. I can feel the bike vibrating harder. I thought the tires might have been worn but he said they look fine. What else could it be? Shock absorption? I'm not pumping up the tires any more than usual. But it doesn't feel right. The bike actually feels lighter, but it feels like there's something making the front tires bump hard. He even rode it for a minute and said it felt pretty fine to him. He said if I want I could schedule a time for him to look at it for a longer period of time. But do you have any suggestions? Bikes cannot just feel weird all of a sudden if there's nothing wrong with it, right?
Maybe the tire is not seated properly on the rim at all points? Trying holding the front wheel off the ground and spinning the tire. Look along the outside tire surface along the direction of travel and see if you see a place where some sort of lump or change in shape comes past. If so, check to see if the tire is seated in the proper way at that point.

I’d have assumed a bike shop tech would check for this right off, so don’t get your hopes up. Also, this would usually be something that was this way from the time the tire was last installed. Still, I hope this helps.

Otto
Old 06-05-21, 04:31 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Damage to the tire casing (often from hard pothole hits and the like) can show as lumps like an early hernia. An old, tired tire can do the same, as can some really cheap ones. Probably not what you are seeing, but rule it out now as that damaged casing is a big, un-repairable blowout waiting to happen. (With the tire at riding pressure, spin the wheel and look for an odd bump to go by or the center strip of the tread suddenly taking a jag to one side like it was hand wrapped around the tire and the employee got all the way around but missed by an 1/8th inch and had a 1/4" to get it to meet up. Most tires are made with cord layers crossing on diagonals. You can damage a middle layer and be unable to see any damaged cords on the outside or inside. But with the tire blown up, everything stretches. Except where the cord is broken, the remaining cord lacks support and so shifts a little.)

Edit: actually I like Otto's idea of a poorly seated bead. I spin the wheel after mounting a tire and look for three things - the center tread to wander up and down (I sight past the tire at a stationary object. Maybe hold the wheel vertically and look over the top at the gutter of a house.) Also I look for variations of the distance between the molded line and the rim on each side. (Virtually all tires have a thin line of rubber molded in that sits less than a millimeter outside the rim. That line is exactly parallel to the bead.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 06-05-21 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-05-21, 06:15 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If a bike shop manager couldn't find a problem then it's probably your imagination.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-05-21, 06:31 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Ask the bike shop to put a spare front wheel on your bike (or borrow a friend's) and test ride it to see if you notice a difference. You can isolate from there.
Old 06-05-21, 06:32 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
lower the psi 10-15% & see how much it changes.
Old 06-05-21, 06:39 PM
GetUpnGo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Does the front tire bump ONCE per revolution? If so, could it be the spoke tension?
Likes For GetUpnGo:
Old 06-05-21, 06:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
Is this a rhythmic bump everywhere, even on smooth cement... or just a jarring rattle?

In the first case, it could be a tire/wheel issue, for example a bead not seated, wheel dented or out of true, skid mark, etc. I once tried a full sized Park Boot, and could feel it bump.

In the second case of a rattle, could be tire pressure, or even in the head. Perhaps thicker bar tape or gloves? Or a headset issue?
Old 06-05-21, 06:41 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
swap w/a mates tyre for 5 mins.
Old 06-05-21, 06:44 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
It's things like this - which are real, and a pain in the hole - where I find all the crap I've hoarded over the years, to be invaluable.

My neighbor's bike needed a quick clean and general look-over... instantly I see he's got 3 spokes BROKEN on his front wheel.

Yeah, I've got a old 26" mtb wheel in the shed.

Swap out the front wheel for something else you know works, and go from there.
Old 06-05-21, 07:55 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by GetUpnGo
Does the front tire bump ONCE per revolution? If so, could it be the spoke tension?
No, it could not be that.
Old 06-05-21, 08:42 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Is this a rhythmic bump everywhere, even on smooth cement... or just a jarring rattle?

In the first case, it could be a tire/wheel issue, for example a bead not seated, wheel dented or out of true, skid mark, etc. I once tried a full sized Park Boot, and could feel it bump.

In the second case of a rattle, could be tire pressure, or even in the head. Perhaps thicker bar tape or gloves? Or a headset issue?

It's more like a jarring rattle. Would you recommend higher pressure? I tried with 95 psi as recommended and feel it. If I go higher, I still feel it.
Old 06-05-21, 08:53 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
It's more like a jarring rattle. Would you recommend higher pressure? I tried with 95 psi as recommended and feel it. If I go higher, I still feel it.
The less tire pressure the more cushion you get.

What is your weight?
What size of tires do you have on your bike?
Tubes or Tubeless?

You really need just a bit more pressure than what is needed to keep the tires from bottoming out on bumps, although there may be a pressure/energy curve, so too low pressure and it takes power, and too much, and it also robs power.
Old 06-05-21, 08:54 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by wolfchild
If a bike shop manager couldn't find a problem then it's probably your imagination.

You really believe that?
Likes For DreamRider85:
Old 06-06-21, 05:17 AM
downhillmaster

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Pretty hard to believe that the shop manager did not notice a ‘jarring rattle’ but I would definitely have another rider take it for a quick spin
Old 06-06-21, 08:25 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I don’t recall what kind of bike you have but if it has a suspension fork that’s another place to look. You might have engaged the lock out, if it has one, or it might be malfunctioning.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-06-21, 09:02 AM
Motorazr

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Diverge Elite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Wheel bearings is my first thought. The bearings could spin freely on a stand but randomly bump and skip under load.
Likes For Motorazr:
Old 06-06-21, 09:35 AM
y2zipper

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I think your tires could just be overinflated. What kind of bike and tire are you using?
Old 06-06-21, 10:12 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Perhaps a better description of the bike.

Also, how long you been riding that bike and during that time period, when did it start? I mean how long in terms of years, months, weeks, not "how long" in terms of a particular ride.

Also describe the type of riding you do.

Also, do you have all kinds of attachments on the bike? I see some posts that show riders with lots of stuff on the handlebars, lots of lights, bags, audio equipment, baskets, etc.
Old 06-10-21, 06:47 PM
DreamRider85

Well. You'll never believe this. So the manager checked it out again and he had another manager check it out. They say nothing is wrong with it. Then I tried a spare tire from where I thought it was happening and I didn't notice a difference. We came to the conclusion it was in my head. I never in a million years thought that could be the case. But I guess it is. When I don't focus on it, the bike feels fine. But when I focus on the bumpiness, I notice it. The manager said, ''Don't worry. We've all been there.''
Old 06-10-21, 07:31 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Well. You'll never believe this. So the manager checked it out again and he had another manager check it out. They say nothing is wrong with it. Then I tried a spare tire from where I thought it was happening and I didn't notice a difference. We came to the conclusion it was in my head. I never in a million years thought that could be the case. But I guess it is. When I don't focus on it, the bike feels fine. But when I focus on the bumpiness, I notice it. The manager said, ''Don't worry. We've all been there.''
wolfchild called it in post #4.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-10-21, 09:03 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Sounds like you have a slightly oval wheel.
Old 06-10-21, 09:33 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Sounds like you have a slightly oval wheel.
Seriously? You're just joking, right?

Right?
Old 06-10-21, 09:52 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
It feels like it is the front tires....The bike actually feels lighter, but it feels like there's something making the front tires bump hard.
How many front tires do you have on this thing? Did you switch front tires at some point in the troubleshooting process and experience the same problem with more than one front tire? Did you swap tires on the same front wheel, or did you use one tire on the front wheel and try a second front tire on a second front wheel? Just trying to figure out the process.
Old 06-11-21, 06:55 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
We believe it!! Happy you got it figured out. Wonder what's the next obstacle....

Last edited by shelbyfv; 06-11-21 at 07:36 AM.
Likes For shelbyfv:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.