Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you ride a MEC Hold Steady ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-05-20, 05:22 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts

This bike sold most recently new for the price of around c$1100. It is a Canadian designed bike, with aluminum frame and carbon fork. The drivetrain is 8 speed, belt ready with a shimano Alfine planetary gear hub.

If you are a Hold Steady user, how do you like it? What do you like about it and what not. I'd consider buying one if they could take punishment. Not a fan of this ones' colour theme though. Kind of like in a perpetual Halloween party mode.

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 12-05-20 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-05-20, 05:26 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
What is the Tape on the top tube?

Old 12-05-20, 07:21 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

I don't own this bike and haven't seen it in real life. There is one locally for sale for far too much in my opinion. The rubber wrap on the TT appears to be an inner tube, probably put there to protect the paint from a chain lock wrapped around the frame.
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 12-05-20, 09:17 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I don't know about that bike but I do know that MEC is no longer a co-op. It's now a private business.

Some of their products were okay and some were overpriced compared to a brick and mortar bike shop.

Good luck and cheers
Old 12-05-20, 09:39 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Didn't own the bike but I test drove it twice and loved it. I thought it was well priced and would have made a great commuter. It is one of those bikes that I regret not purchasing. They don't seem to sell them now but who knows what will happen with the new owners.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 12-06-20, 10:49 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Ok, thanks for the input on the firsthand experience. I had heard that MEC was in financial straits but hadn't that it had been dissolved as a Co-op. I am a MEC member and we'll see what comes from that structural change. They were foolish that during this "pandemic" they rode the virtue signalling path and further strangled their cash flow by choosing to run their stores as a bunch of hypochondriacs instead of offering service. I wanted and needed to buy in stock items but they made it so difficult to do I said forget it and bought at another local bike shop.

This hold steady example is offered at a local pawn shop. I am not concerned with buying it, even if it were a little bigger, so any local BF member reading this go ahead and help yourself. I am in the market for a bike made this millenium and thought perhaps this might work as a commuter hauler. There are so very many bikes out there that are just as good though. You can buy a lot of used bike for $1k. I think they're nuts charging that for a bike which only cost $100 more new when it sold within the last two years. Right now I ride an old mid-80's Raleigh Elkhorn and that's it. Something newer would be nice.
Old 10-11-22, 08:56 AM
Gsteady

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride

I’ve been riding this bike since 2009. Shifts as clean as new.
Old 10-11-22, 01:12 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
I don't own this bike and haven't seen it in real life. There is one locally for sale for far too much in my opinion. The rubber wrap on the TT appears to be an inner tube, probably put there to protect the paint from a chain lock wrapped around the frame.
Ok, thanks for the input on the firsthand experience. I had heard that MEC was in financial straits but hadn't that it had been dissolved as a Co-op. I am a MEC member and we'll see what comes from that structural change. They were foolish that during this "pandemic" they rode the virtue signalling path and further strangled their cash flow by choosing to run their stores as a bunch of hypochondriacs instead of offering service. I wanted and needed to buy in stock items but they made it so difficult to do I said forget it and bought at another local bike shop.

This hold steady example is offered at a local pawn shop. I am not concerned with buying it, even if it were a little bigger, so any local BF member reading this go ahead and help yourself. I am in the market for a bike made this millenium and thought perhaps this might work as a commuter hauler. There are so very many bikes out there that are just as good though. You can buy a lot of used bike for $1k. I think they're nuts charging that for a bike which only cost $100 more new when it sold within the last two years. Right now I ride an old mid-80's Raleigh Elkhorn and that's it. Something newer would be nice.

They struck a deal with The Bay now. Opening I think 4 more locations inside The Bay stores in Ontario. They will only carry a limited amount of product and nothing that will compete with The Bay merchandise. Have noticed since it stopped as a Co-op many good products have been discontinued. Whether or not this is due to supply chain shortages, I'm not certain.

Last edited by b88; 10-11-22 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-11-22, 02:29 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
I'd consider buying one if they could take punishment.
I don't know anything about this model of bike, but I had a Shimano Nexus 8 speed IGH (very similar to Alfine). They don't take abuse very well. They work fine and last a long time if you are somewhat careful and perform a little periodic maintenance. If you want something that you can abuse, I'd recommend a single speed or fixed gear drivetrain. If you need multiple gears, consider a derailleur.
Old 10-11-22, 06:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I don't know about that bike but I do know that MEC is no longer a co-op. It's now a private business.

Some of their products were okay and some were overpriced compared to a brick and mortar bike shop.

Good luck and cheers
I will have to disagree with you on that one...I purchased many of the major brand name products, parts and accessories at MEC, and I also purchased MEC brand products and their prices are very competitive and cheaper than any of the bike shops I've been to. Majority of MEC brand stuff is also top quality.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-16-22, 08:48 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

The bike which is pictured is long gone. If one comes up locally in an XL and is reasonably priced I'll go have a look. I am more in tune with owning their "National" model though.

I think MEC designs some fairly nice bikes and have produced (i.e. had built for them - not sure who the manufacturer was) several models in the past. They don't seem to have offered as many varieties now though (10 models currently).
Old 02-07-23, 06:15 PM
Cranky68

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rock solid

I’ve had the hold steady for 5 years now; ride it in winter in kelowna BC as well as other seasons. I’ve had an Ebike and other commuters but always go back to this gem. First of all I never get. Slush on my derailleur cogs so no skipping, maintenance is extremely easy. Bike is zippy; not a great climber, but otherwise quick and responsive. I put around 3k each year on it, I do run a studded snow in winter. I’ve used 2 chains and 1 set of brake pads. Most reliable bike in my fleet…. If they made this an Ebike with mid drive and IGH I’d be sold… oh yes I own a bike service shop so mechanically it’s good and quality parts
Old 02-24-23, 09:29 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by Cranky68
I’ve had the hold steady for 5 years now; ride it in winter in kelowna BC as well as other seasons. I’ve had an Ebike and other commuters but always go back to this gem. First of all I never get. Slush on my derailleur cogs so no skipping, maintenance is extremely easy. Bike is zippy; not a great climber, but otherwise quick and responsive. I put around 3k each year on it, I do run a studded snow in winter. I’ve used 2 chains and 1 set of brake pads. Most reliable bike in my fleet…. If they made this an Ebike with mid drive and IGH I’d be sold… oh yes I own a bike service shop so mechanically it’s good and quality parts
Hi Cranky, thank you for the input on the Steady with "boots on the ground" real World feedback. The bike which spawned this thread is long gone now and who knows if another will come up, but with your testimonial a decision is all that much simpler if one does emerge. I thought it would indeed make for a good winter bike. We'd have to see how the IGH would do in deep cold for shifting. BTW, if you see a Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 XXL out there let me know. I haven't been to B.C. since 1978!