Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Unknown forks

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Unknown forks

Old 12-22-20, 09:25 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Unknown forks

I have been digging through old parts trying to build up a "frankenbike" parts project and came across a couple of forks I need help ID'ing.

One is an early Moser fork without any marks other than the crown lug "trident/MOSER" and on the steerer tube "4" "70". Essentially a flat crown lug with recessed brake mounting, unbranded forged dropouts with very good finish work on the fork end/dropout conjunctions, but horrible work at the crown/fork blade conjuctions; although alignment is proper. Excellent paintwork. I am trying to determine what year(s) and possibly model(s) this fork may have been used on. I don't believe Moser was having frames made with his name before 1977. I have a 1985 "Aelle" model frameset (Columbus "AELLE" tubing) that has a stylized "F MOSER" in the crown lug quite different from this example. I would expect it to be more '70s than '80s; and it is not from the cheap French frames using Francesco Moser's name on some "hi-ten" steel frames circa late '70s-early '80s. No reinforcing "splines" in the steerer tube; Italian threaded.

The second fork is of unknown branding other than the "SW" on the fork crown. Chromed semi-sloped crown with recessed brake mounting, heart cutouts in tangs, and Campagnolo chromed dropouts; original blue paint stripped off. This fork is much lighter than the Moser fork, and is clearly stamped with the Columbus logo and has the reinforced steerer tube design; Italian threaded. I believe the blade tubes are lightweight Columbus due to overall weight differential, but no stamps on blades. All work on this fork is very clean and professionally done.

The third fork is unknown except for the "G" on the crown. Newest of the three (late '80s-'90s?). I am not sure as to actual threading.

So I need the approximate years of use/model for early Moser "trident" logo, and company names corresponding to the other two forks.
If anyone knows information about these forks I appreciate it.

Be safe during the holidays!

Howard

"SW" and Moser

Moser

"SW" and Moser

"SW"

"SW"

"G"
Old 12-22-20, 10:14 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
I have seen that G before but it’s escaping me right now! Foggy days while I recover.
Old 12-22-20, 10:30 AM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
I have seen that G before but it’s escaping me right now! Foggy days while I recover.
Giordana
Old 12-22-20, 10:32 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
Might be the one I am trying to remember.
Old 12-22-20, 12:51 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 779 Posts
I agree it's a Giordana and this is most likely a Billato contractor-built fork, the Cromor blades notwithstanding I'm sure of good quality, The other 2 I have no guesses for except they both seem to use the same crown (if not Cinelli then could be a GPM model that was nearly the same) however that Moser looks like a bad fitting of blades to crown!
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 12-22-20, 06:04 PM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
The 'Moser' with the trident is Cicli Moser started in 1933. Not Francesco Moser... his bikes were available 79 and on.
Old 12-22-20, 06:21 PM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
Pic with the trident is from steel vintage. According to them is a 1978. Its hard to tell, but the fork crown on yours looks earlier.
the other pic is the fork crown on a 1980 Francesco Moser.

Likes For uncleivan:
Old 12-22-20, 08:27 PM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 192 Posts
As uncleivan mentioned, the 'trident' Moser brand is that of a shop in Trento, founded by Ermanno Moser in 1933 and run by the family for 82 years (Ermanno's son Flavio taking over from his father). It was eventually transferred to a couple of people outside of the family (Michele & Daniela Casatta) in 2015 and it's still in business.

The "SW" panto on the third fork is something I've only seen a couple of times, both attributed to the Wolfgang Steinmayr brand (started by a well known Austrian racer from bitd). I've seen a number of Steinmayr frames and several definitely looked like Italian contract builds, so it does not surprise me that this fork is Italian made. I'm not sure who the Italian contractor(s) might have been.
The heart cutout on the reinforcement tang (I assume that's on the 'SW' fork) is something that Gino Milani (of Verona) used to do a lot, so perhaps that might be something to explore.

Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 12-23-20, 12:22 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

QUOTE=SoccerBallXan;21843890]Giordana[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, brand crossed my mind, but I am unfamiliar with it other than in name.

Originally Posted by unworthy1
I agree it's a Giordana and this is most likely a Billato contractor-built fork, the Cromor blades notwithstanding I'm sure of good quality, The other 2 I have no guesses for except they both seem to use the same crown (if not Cinelli then could be a GPM model that was nearly the same) however that Moser looks like a bad fitting of blades to crown!
It amazed me how clean the work was at the dropouts, perfectly filled and finished; the crown was over filled and under filled,. Each point on the crown lug could be used as a bottle opener; kind of like a Greek chariot with blades protruding.
Old 12-23-20, 03:02 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 781 Posts
[/QUOTE]
kind of like a Greek chariot with blades protruding.[/QUOTE]

Persian. The Greeks were the ones getting run over.
Old 12-23-20, 04:02 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Originally Posted by uncleivan
The 'Moser' with the trident is Cicli Moser started in 1933. Not Francesco Moser... his bikes were available 79 and on.
Thank you for that info; only F. Moser stuff could be found. I have no original frame for it.

Originally Posted by MauriceMoss
As uncleivan mentioned, the 'trident' Moser brand is that of a shop in Trento, founded by Ermanno Moser in 1933 and run by the family for 82 years (Ermanno's son Flavio taking over from his father). It was eventually transferred to a couple of people outside of the family (Michele & Daniela Casatta) in 2015 and it's still in business.

The "SW" panto on the third fork is something I've only seen a couple of times, both attributed to the Wolfgang Steinmayr brand (started by a well known Austrian racer from bitd). I've seen a number of Steinmayr frames and several definitely looked like Italian contract builds, so it does not surprise me that this fork is Italian made. I'm not sure who the Italian contractor(s) might have been.
The heart cutout on the reinforcement tang (I assume that's on the 'SW' fork) is something that Gino Milani (of Verona) used to do a lot, so perhaps that might be something to explore.
Thank you Maurice; I like that frame design on the Steinmayr. Probably a hard frame to find in the US; the fork was obtained in Europe.

Originally Posted by oneclick
Persian. The Greeks were the ones getting run over.[/QUOTE]

Thinking of the one in the '50s Ben Hur movie (Messala's ride); I have no idea as to the historical accuracy other than it is not the type that would be used in actual chariot racing. Thanks for the correction.

Last edited by HPL; 12-24-20 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-23-20, 07:37 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 3,084 Times in 1,944 Posts
Bike art inspiration!

This is an inspiring bit of bike artwork...hmm...

Originally Posted by MauriceMoss

1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 12-23-20, 10:56 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 779 Posts
Another detail: if the Steinmayr frame was also made in Italy then this is one of the few brands that used Reynolds 531 in "the Boot" and never seen that particular style of cable adjuster mount (for internal routing in the downtube) on any other frame from any country, seems a very distinctive clue)
Old 12-23-20, 02:01 PM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
the pic of the SW frame from Steel Vintage is showing Guinticiclo lugs that I've only ever seen
on late 60s Masi Specials and one rare pic of Tommasinis first frame. a big clue as to who's
shop produced it