Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Handlebar riser for Canyon Commuter

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-20, 07:20 PM
N1CSP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. I was thinking of getting a nukeproof neutron V2 riser either 25mm or 38mm. I bought Canyon commuter sport 8.0 with a flat bar. Frame is a bit too aggressive for my body profile and my arms end up being too stretched. Uncomfortable after a while on my hands. Looking for a more relaxed ride without comprising too much the feel of the bike. Given that the stem is bespoke and Canyon made I'm not able to adjust height/reach through that. Wondering if the 25mm is sufficient or should I go straight with the 38mm?
The bike is intended for short commutes to work and family rides on the weekend. Comfort is important to me.
Thanks
Old 12-29-20, 11:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Hard to say without knowing anything else about you. The Canyon Commuter Sport 8.0 is perhaps one of the most aggressive of the bikes marketed as commuter. It's going to be a sporty handling bike and if you don't ride it like a sporty handling bike you won't be comfortable on it. Is it too late to send it back?

Otherwise, did you get the frame size that they recommended for you? Or is it too big and you are really stretched out? Personally I don't like flat bars because to me they put your hands and wrists in the wrong position for the entire ride. If I didn't have drops, I'd at least go for a cruiser style bar. Bullhorn bars or butterfly bars might be a better choice still or even a mustache bar. Anything would be better than the simple flat bar to me whether it has a rise or not.

But you are correct, the stem and design of the Canyon might hamper your choices with doing much. So that's another reason I suggest send it back if you can.
Old 01-01-21, 04:50 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Have you considered a riser flatbar instead? i.e. one with the correct stem/clamp diameter.

e.g. KCNC does a few alu options in 1.5" and 2". You can cut down the ends to suit, if you like.

A carbon riser bar will have more compliance/comfort for the hand though.
Likes For tangerineowl:
Old 01-07-21, 08:50 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
there are a two main things that you can do to make the bike feel less "aggressive":
  • handlebar with more back sweep. typical flat bar has 8–10° of back sweep, but there are TONS alternative handlebar designs on the market that have a lot more back sweep. this will bring your hands closer to your hips so you can sit more upright. these handlebars also usually have a bit of rise. whatbars.com has a pretty extensive list with a graphic comparison.
  • shorter length/ taller rise stem. pretty cheap change that might do the same thing. if you want to get really nerdy about it, you can find out how two stems will compare using this stem comparison tool.
edit: just noticed the way that bike it built. yikes! the stem advice above does not apply here, but I'll leave it in case it's useful to someone else.

considering the proprietary nature of that cockpit, I would contact Canyon and as them for options. it looks like that stem is specific to the frame and it might be difficult to put a different one on it, which is friggin stupid! Canyon makes cool looking bikes that can't be adjusted to fit their customers' individual fit preferences.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 01-07-21 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-09-21, 10:17 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
edit: just noticed the way that bike it built. yikes! the stem advice above does not apply here, but I'll leave it in case it's useful to someone else.

considering the proprietary nature of that cockpit, I would contact Canyon and as them for options. it looks like that stem is specific to the frame and it might be difficult to put a different one on it, which is friggin stupid! Canyon makes cool looking bikes that can't be adjusted to fit their customers' individual fit preferences.
I think labeling.this bike as commuter anything is very misleading from a marketing perspective.

If OP can find the right riser bars might be OK but I suspect this bike is not in any way what he needs or wants. Might be time to move on with this one.