Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Different crank arm length on one bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-21, 11:54 PM
hsea17

Bikes: Giant SCR / Felt FR5 / Trek Emonda ALR 6 / Trek Domane AL2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts

Allow me to ask, since I am not very technical and wonder if it is technically / mechanically possible for a bicycle dealer / mechanic to install a crank set, but use different lengths on the crank arms? Yes, I'm aware I will need to purchase an extra crank arm (possibly one more full crankset if not possible to buy one crank arm only)!

Thanks & Regards
hsea17
Old 10-09-21, 01:43 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by hsea17
Allow me to ask, since I am not very technical and wonder if it is technically / mechanically possible for a bicycle dealer / mechanic to install a crank set, but use different lengths on the crank arms? Yes, I'm aware I will need to purchase an extra crank arm (possibly one more full crankset if not possible to buy one crank arm only)!

Thanks & Regards
hsea17
​​​​​Yes.
Old 10-09-21, 04:52 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Yes it is possible, sounds like the bike had either a bent or damaged crank and they just replaced it without checking the length. If you have any bike coops around, they most likely would have a proper size arm to match.

Old 10-09-21, 07:01 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Is that what happened or is it what you think you need?
Old 10-09-21, 07:53 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Yes you can mount different length arms. I have to ask why you would want to do that as if it's a solution to a rider problem or bike problem there may be better solutions.
Old 10-09-21, 08:23 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
We see this every so often. Generally due to a replacement arm (almost always the LH arm) being installed after the bike left the factory. Most every time the rider has no idea. Rarely (thankfully) a rider with serious leg length discrepancy will use different crank arm lengths. Andy
Old 10-09-21, 08:36 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Yes, and if you're looking to do this, you may find a way to rationalize offsetting the cost of a power meter by getting a left crankarm based power meter crankarm, in a shorter or longer length than the right. eg. STAGES SINGLE-SIDED POWERMETERS
Old 10-09-21, 08:38 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Easily done by accident
Old 10-09-21, 08:48 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Yes, I'm aware I will need to purchase an extra crank arm (possibly one more full crankset if not possible to buy one crank arm only)!

Thanks & Regards
hsea17
If you have a leg discrepancy, you can put an insert into one shoe or build up under the cleat.

My left leg is about a cm shorter than my right. It has caused right hip pain. I initially built up under the cleat. Now I merely take cheap EVA foam flip-flops and make an insert for my left shoes.

You may need to do both and a different crank arm.

Good luck.

John
Old 10-09-21, 09:09 AM
RingSteel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Being a below-knee leg amputee, I’d be curious to try a shorter crank arm on the prosthetic side of the bike.
It might reduce the difference between the power levels of the good leg and the prosthetic leg?
Old 10-09-21, 09:21 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
If you have a leg discrepancy, you can put an insert into one shoe or build up under the cleat.

My left leg is about a cm shorter than my right. It has caused right hip pain. I initially built up under the cleat. Now I merely take cheap EVA foam flip-flops and make an insert for my left shoes.

You may need to do both and a different crank arm.

Good luck.

John
Of course, since a crank moves in a circle, doing what you did makes the arm effectively shorter at the bottom of the stroke, but flips it and makes it effectively that much longer at the top of the stroke. 1 1cm shim makes eg. a 175mm crank 165 at the bottom, but 185mm long at the top. May or may not be an issue.
Old 10-09-21, 09:41 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Of course, since a crank moves in a circle, doing what you did makes the arm effectively shorter at the bottom of the stroke, but flips it and makes it effectively that much longer at the top of the stroke. 1 1cm shim makes eg. a 175mm crank 165 at the bottom, but 185mm long at the top. May or may not be an issue.
???

What I did was make both legs as close to the same length. It has nothing to do with some convoluted transfer to crank arm length.

I’ll make it pretty simple. Ride a bike with one foot in a shoe and one foot barefoot. There is a discrepancy. Then put shoes on both feet.

John
Old 10-09-21, 09:42 AM
hsea17

Thank you for the replies. I have different leg lengths as well as a hip (same side, right side) that has seen better days. The hip is a training injury from younger days and not related to cycling, but another sport, but which I have managed to cycle and ride with for years. But now as a still relatively active retire, it takes away the joy of slightly longer bike rides. Since I am now retired and have better time to try different position on the bike etc. I thought why not try, maybe I can find the solution now, even if it is a bit late in an active life, it would still be satisfying to find a solution to what I have been wondering about for many years. I previously tried both shims under the shoe and also thicker insoles and even the Shimano pedals with a longer axle, but to no avail.
hsea17
Old 10-09-21, 09:52 AM
70sSanO

Have you had your legs measured?

Additionally, I’ve slightly lowered my saddle from a more optimal height to ensure I don’t hyper-extend my hip.

I generally don’t have any pain cycling, but the years have left me with some ongoing dull hip pain.

John
Old 10-09-21, 10:11 AM
70sSanO

Someone who has experience in fitting and hip angle, at the top of the stroke, might suggest shorter crank arms in general to help your right hip.

John
Old 10-09-21, 12:50 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Thank you for the replies. I have different leg lengths as well as a hip (same side, right side) that has seen better days.
Also a leather saddle such as a Brooks or similar can be broken in to fit your body movement better than rigid saddles if the shorter crank by itself doesn't give you enough comfort.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 10-09-21, 02:22 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Someone who has experience in fitting and hip angle, at the top of the stroke, might suggest shorter crank arms in general to help your right hip.

John
So, in other words, shimming your foot might not at all be the correct solution. Got it.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-09-21, 04:20 PM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So, in other words, shimming your foot might not at all be the correct solution. Got it.
No. Shimming/inserts have worked great for me for over 30 years. In a couple months, Lord willing, I’ll be 70. I’m thankful I’m still riding road and mountain and active in other sports.

I have no clue the extend of the OP’s situation. I believe the OP has done some shimming already. I can only provide what I have actually done in a similar situation.

I hope he finds a solution regardless if it something I post or from someone else.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-10-21, 08:40 AM
hsea17

I have tried the Bikefit cleat wedges for spd pedals and the shimano cleat spacers. Due to lack of qualified and good bike fitters in the region i live a bikefit its not an option but the bike dealer I use have also good bicycle mechanic so will try out the shorter crank on right side. Will post back when bike is ready and I have tested it out for a few rides.
hsea17
Old 10-10-21, 09:13 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
u = 2πr

A 165mm crankarm yields 103.6726 centimeters of foot travel with every pedal stroke.
A 175mm crankarm yields 109.9557 centimeters of foot travel with every pedal stroke.

(103.6726÷109.9557)-1=0.0571421036 In this case: The side with the shorter crank arm will be doing 5.7% less work. Say "hello" to strength disparities and all the complications thereof.

A block or a shim does not make the offending leg do a different amount of work. It aligns the work to be done to where the riders foot happens to be. This is the correct solution. (Edit: or at the very least, the best place to start when seeking the best combination of all compromises.)

I really do wish the whole different crank arm length thing would just die. (Edit: What I mean to say is it's just a terrible go-to as the first & only suggestion. ) It is for fitting a person to a bike in a static photograph sort of way with no regard to cycling being the dynamic activity that it is.

Last edited by base2; 10-10-21 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-10-21, 11:40 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
The OP has tried shims and they have not worked, so all the armchair second guessing here is really not useful.

As someone who has spent the past 40 years with a significant LLD (50mm) and the past 25 years experimenting with different cycling setups (crank length and shoe lifts) and working with a top notch bike fitter…. Here is my $0.02 about dealing with significant LLD:

A shim under the shoe works like a charm IF the leg length discrepancy is below the knee. It gets more complicated when the discrepancy is above the knee.

If the discrepancy is above the knee, and you try to make up for all of the difference with a shim, you end up with your foot AND your knee higher at the top of the stroke (compared to the longer leg) and the knee more deeply bent.

Is that a problem? It depends how much the difference is. For the bast majority of LLD cases - which are not too significant - No. Which is why shims work fine for most people. But in my case where the difference above the knee is 35mm… it does.

Using a different crank length to make up some of the difference reduces how deeply the knee is bent at the top of the stroke.

The problem you run into is that if you go too different on the crank lengths, the leverage changes and it is almost like being in different gears. So the short leg is in a higher gear (OK, not exactly, but it has less leverage) AND more deeply bent.

So it is a whole mess of compromises you need to deal with, and no matter what you do, something is not optimal. It just took me a few years of experimenting to see what worked the best.

And for me what works best for my 50mm LLD (35 above knee, 15 below) is to use a 40mm lift and a 5mm difference in crank length.

All this said, I have no idea what the OPs situation is.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-10-21, 12:14 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
To answer the OP‘s question directly:

Yes, it is easy enough to combine crank lengths on any crank I have used. Whether you need to buy 2 cranksets or one crankset and a spare arm depends on the model and availability.

Back when I was experimenting with different length combos, I was using a sqaure taper bb and a bunch of cheap crank-arms.

Years ago, SRAM worked with me on this. I called them up, told them my situation, and they offered to send my LBS a 170mm crank arm for free if I bought a 175mm crankset through them. I did that for two cranksets.
Old 10-10-21, 12:32 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
You might ask to get your topic moved to:

Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs

Use the little red button if you wish to get it moved. If it doesn't work for a newbie, post here.

Hunt on E-Bay for single crank arms. Or check out your local bike co-op recycling center.

It may depend a bit on the type of crank you have on your bike.

"Square Taper" cranks were common 40 years ago, and still are around for low to mid range bikes. You may be able to use different brands, assuming the hole orientation is the same.

Many other types of cranks will be brand specific.
Old 10-10-21, 02:07 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Kapusta You're right. I should've phrased it as something along the lines of: "...is rarely the solution." I thought of the knee placement on the leg thing after I hit enter & neglected to edit it in to my reply after the fact. Consider that factor hereby acknowledged.

As noted by people smarter than myself: All things engineering is an endless list of compromises.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 10-10-21, 09:37 PM
hsea17

Here were many informative answers and many things to ponder and honestly I do not know what is the best solution if there is any solution at all but I can not lose more than the cost of trying different crank arm lengths so will try. On the bike now is a Shimano 105 R7000 (172.5 -50/34) crankset and a new full 170mm crankset will cost me approximately US 115, - However I haven't checked Amazon or eBay yet. Another possibility is a friend in USA who if the covid-19 quarantine get lifted here will visit in December and then I avoid shipping cost so can be he could bring with just one crankarm if I find on Amazon / eBay.
hsea17

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.