Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Changing stem length on CX bike

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-21, 12:56 PM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

My singlespeed cyclocross bike is an All City Nature Boy with a 49 cm frame. The All City bikes tend to run a bit bigger so it is closer to a small frame than an extra-small frame. The bike came with a 90 mm stem. I got a mini bike fit and then went with a 70 mm stem. I then subsequently got a more thorough bike fit from a different person.

Since my bike fit, I have been wondering if I should go with a 80 mm stem? The 70 mm stem is shorter than the stems on the other bike (which are 80-90 mm long). At the same time, my singlespeed bike is 1-2 centimeters longer than all of my other bikes. I haven’t had issues with my stem, but would consider changing stems if doing so had any benefits. Also, is having a short stem on a cyclocross bike beneficial in terms of handling, specifically steering? In terms of the riding I do on this bike, I now use this bike almost exclusively on cyclocross courses (both for training and racing). I only want to change the stem if the pros of doing so outweigh the cons.
Old 10-22-21, 06:22 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Only you can decide whether splitting the difference is worth it for you or not. There is no metric regarding what sort of bike category should use a longer or shorter stem. Other than meeting your own needs or preferences, its mostly a matter of reach as well as top tube length.

80mm could be a fine idea, although I'd probably leave it the way it is. You can look into a few other cyclcross bikes your size and see how they compare in terms of top tube length/reach and stem/drop bar reach sizes.
Old 10-23-21, 02:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
The "pros" for changing your stem will only be for if it uncomfortable or too agile in handling for you currently. If you aren't complaining of either now, then why chance making one of those a problem?
Old 10-25-21, 03:03 PM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for the info. After consideration, I have decided to not change the length of the stem.