Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help servicing loose headset bearings

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-05-21, 08:03 PM
BlueDefndr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Working on kids 24" Kona Hula MTB, has a threadless headset. I removed the upper and lower cups so that I could get to the bearings, and they were quite nasty. The headset has loose bearings that are not in a retainer clip of any kind. Cleaned, repacked and reinstalled, however the steering feels quite crunchy still. I'm a bit of a headset n00b - but fairly mechanical otherwise. The bearings seemed like they were in fine shape, other than old grease - so wondering why the crunchy feel. Looking for ideas on what I maybe did wrong ... Did I not pack enough grease in the races? Did I put too much preload on the starnut? I don't have a cup press - so when I reinstalled the cups - I just whacked them on as evenly as I could with a deadblow and a block of wood - possible some slight mis-alignment in the cups?
Old 11-05-21, 08:12 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
A few thoughts- First is that you have the preload adjustment too tight. Second is that you have a ball to many in either stack. Third is that the cup and cone tracks are worn/pitted. Andy
Old 11-05-21, 08:23 PM
BlueDefndr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
A few thoughts- First is that you have the preload adjustment too tight. Second is that you have a ball to many in either stack. Third is that the cup and cone tracks are worn/pitted. Andy
pitted tracks would make a lot of sense. i'll check preload and if that doesn't help, pull them out again and inspect the tracks. there was the same gap in each stack - about the width of one ball. i like @cubewheels 's idea of going to cartridge, however, not confident i could pick the right cartridge that would be a drop-in replacement without replacing the whole headset.
Old 11-05-21, 08:52 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Replace the bearings with sealed cartridge bearing set. There are really cheap good ones you can have for only $10 and even the cheap ones last much longer than the loose bearings
Do they make a direct replacement sealed cartridge for loose/caged ball bearings?

John
Old 11-05-21, 10:16 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Do they make a direct replacement sealed cartridge for loose/caged ball bearings?

John
No. To the best of my knowledge, you'll need new headset (cartridge one) as the cups are different.
Old 11-05-21, 10:30 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by Juan el Boricua
No. To the best of my knowledge, you'll need new headset (cartridge one) as the cups are different.
That’s what I thought.

I don’t need a new headset at the moment, but the prospect of being able to use a sealed cartridge in an existing loose ball headset would be a revelation for thousands who are limping a pitted/indexed headset along for a bit longer. Especially where stack height is in the mid 30’s.

John
Old 11-06-21, 04:13 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts
You'll need to replace the cups as well. the $10 set includes new cups.

Here's a sample $10 set with sealed bearings and cups included and note this product is for straight tube fork (non-tapered)

So where did you find this for $10?

Old 11-06-21, 08:27 AM
70sSanO

ZTTO stuff is sold on eBay. It’ll probably be a bit more than $10, but still cheap.

For a 1-1/8” threadless fork, it will be an easier way to go than fiddling with a headset that has damaged races.

John
Old 11-06-21, 09:07 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
You'll need to replace the cups as well. the $10 set includes new cups.

Here's a sample $10 set with sealed bearings and cups included and note this product is for straight tube fork (non-tapered)
Replacing a headset is a very different proposition than replacing a bearing. It’s a lot more work.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-06-21, 09:20 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by BlueDefndr
Working on kids 24" Kona Hula MTB, has a threadless headset. I removed the upper and lower cups so that I could get to the bearings, and they were quite nasty. The headset has loose bearings that are not in a retainer clip of any kind. Cleaned, repacked and reinstalled, however the steering feels quite crunchy still. I'm a bit of a headset n00b - but fairly mechanical otherwise. The bearings seemed like they were in fine shape, other than old grease - so wondering why the crunchy feel. Looking for ideas on what I maybe did wrong ... Did I not pack enough grease in the races? Did I put too much preload on the starnut?
Too much preload is likely the issue. You only want the headset tight enough so that it doesn’t move forward and backward when you pull on the forks. This is often checked by putting the bike on the ground, pulling the brakes, and rocking the bike back and forth. But it should also be loose enough that the fork turns easily from side to side.

Another thing to check is the number of bearings used. When you pack loose bearings, there should be space for what looks like one more bearing but you really can’t fit it in.

I don't have a cup press - so when I reinstalled the cups - I just whacked them on as evenly as I could with a deadblow and a block of wood - possible some slight mis-alignment in the cups?
Wait! What?! If you are packing the bearings you do not need to remove the cups! Just remove the bearings. The cups don’t need to come out unless you are installing a new headset. Don’t make more work for yourself.

You can install a headset the way you have but you are correct that you may not have the cups square. If you rotate the fork and you feel it bind in one (or more spots) while being free in others, you may have cups that are misaligned.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-06-21, 10:23 AM
BlueDefndr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Too much preload is likely the issue. You only want the headset tight enough so that it doesn’t move forward and backward when you pull on the forks. This is often checked by putting the bike on the ground, pulling the brakes, and rocking the bike back and forth. But it should also be loose enough that the fork turns easily from side to side.

Another thing to check is the number of bearings used. When you pack loose bearings, there should be space for what looks like one more bearing but you really can’t fit it in.

Wait! What?! If you are packing the bearings you do not need to remove the cups! Just remove the bearings. The cups don’t need to come out unless you are installing a new headset. Don’t make more work for yourself.

You can install a headset the way you have but you are correct that you may not have the cups square. If you rotate the fork and you feel it bind in one (or more spots) while being free in others, you may have cups that are misaligned.
re: removing the cups. Yeah I know that now it was so brown and gunky in there that I didn’t see the stainless retainer clip on the race - so thought I needed to pull out the cups. Once I cleaned it on the bench I found the clip. Like I said - headset n00b - but learning

number of bearings seems right felt like one missing in each race set.

I just adjusted the preload and it feels much better but I can still feel a slight vibration. Will inspect races when I have more time.

appreciate the super knowledgeable feedback!!
Old 11-06-21, 12:44 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,219 Times in 643 Posts
If you "just whacked the cups in" you probably got them cocked / not in perfect alignment.

what you can do is get a piece of threaded rod in 3/8" and some nuts and big washers, and make a press that will fully seat the cups.

use some wood blocks under the washers and tighten the nuts so as to fully seat the cups

when doing the final adjustment - put it all back together and lock the front brake, wiggle it back and forth till the play is gone, and the tighten the clamp bolts on the steerer.

/markp
Old 11-06-21, 12:44 PM
BlueDefndr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
ZTTO stuff is sold on eBay. It’ll probably be a bit more than $10, but still cheap.

For a 1-1/8” threadless fork, it will be an easier way to go than fiddling with a headset that has damaged races.

John
Ordered a set from AliExpress for $10.99. No urgency to replace - as the current bearings are fine for now, and I can handle 4 weeks of shipping for $0.44. Fork is a 1-1/8" straight tube spinner grind - so looks like the ZTTO 3434S is the right option for me.
Likes For BlueDefndr:
Old 11-06-21, 12:46 PM
BlueDefndr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
If you "just whacked the cups in" you probably got them cocked / not in perfect alignment.

what you can do is get a piece of threaded rod in 3/8" and some nuts and big washers, and make a press that will fully seat the cups.

use some wood blocks under the washers and tighten the nuts so as to fully seat the cups

when doing the final adjustment - put it all back together and lock the front brake, wiggle it back and forth till the play is gone, and the tighten the clamp bolts on the steerer.

/markp
fair comment ... i have a bunch of thread rod kicking around - so will make a press-jig and make sure are in right when i put new cups in i just ordered (with sealed bearings).
Old 11-06-21, 09:21 PM
BlueDefndr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@cubewheels - It is a much older generation Hulu. I tried to post a picture, but haven't hit 10-posts yet. The headset tube is straight with no flare and the OD of the tube is 41mm. Am I right that the 3434S is a 34mm width on the OD of the friction-fit part of the cup? Which would be about the ID of the tube. A 34mm therefore would allow about 3.5mm of wall thickness and seem about right, where the 4444S would be a 44m OD which seems wider than the tube itself?
Old 11-06-21, 10:06 PM
BlueDefndr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seems you're probably right. The next thing smaller to 4444s is 3434s. Yes, it's the OD of the friction part of the cup.
thanks - appreciate you taking the time to double-check it.
Likes For BlueDefndr:
Old 11-07-21, 10:26 AM
cyccommute 

The Kona Hula looks like it could be a 4444S to me but I could be wrong (the head tube looks it's for the 44mm bearing cups). 4444S will also fit a 1-1/8" straight tube. You need to make sure.

The Kona Hula if that is your bike below is a threadless headset. You'll need to remove the bottom cup if you can and measure the cup based on the drawing below:

The picture of the headset you show does not go with that bike. Neither of the headsets you’ve suggested would work on that particular bike, either. I’m not saying that the headset you’ve suggested wouldn’t work in an older model of the Hula but those are not the correct headsets for a bike with an integrated headset.

Old 11-07-21, 10:33 AM
BlueDefndr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
cyccommute - it's an older gen than the one shown - link is here (with http part removed so I can post it): konaworld.com/archive/2016/hula.cfm
Old 11-07-21, 11:00 AM
cyccommute 

cyccommute - it's an older gen than the one shown - link is here (with http part removed so I can post it): konaworld.com/archive/2016/hula.cfm
You are probably okay with the headset you ordered. It looks like a traditional cup headset. That said, dimensions could be off. It’s not highly likely but it’s a possibility.

For the install, look at “DIY headset press” on-line. You can make one from althread or you can buy this one from Amazon. At less than $30, that one is a bargain and it doesn’t press on the bearing. If nothing else, buying it for the cup install tools would be worth the price. Look at RJ The Bike Guy videos for on making a tool to remove the cups.

Old 11-28-21, 12:46 AM
BlueDefndr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New headset came and installed today. Went in easy and feels much smoother. Only weird thing was that the new crown race included in the kit had a split in it. Made installing on the fork much easier than a normal race - but felt weird to have a split in it. Didn’t seem to affect operation. Anything to be concerned about? Use the old crown race instead?
Old 11-28-21, 07:13 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,355 Times in 2,034 Posts
New headset came and installed today. Went in easy and feels much smoother. Only weird thing was that the new crown race included in the kit had a split in it. Made installing on the fork much easier than a normal race - but felt weird to have a split in it. Didn’t seem to affect operation. Anything to be concerned about? Use the old crown race instead?
Split crown races are common.
Old 11-28-21, 10:04 AM
BlueDefndr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Split crown races are common.
thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.