Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2021 Sutra (I Finally Ordered it!)

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2021 Sutra (I Finally Ordered it!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-21, 05:45 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
I'm preparing for my first tour (Ohio To Erie Trail this August) so I decided to load up the bike and see how it did. I'm happy to report that the bike rolls along with gear just as merrily as if it were unladen...except on hills

Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 06-24-21, 10:27 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
I'm preparing for my first tour (Ohio To Erie Trail this August) so I decided to load up the bike and see how it did. I'm happy to report that the bike rolls along with gear just as merrily as if it were unladen...except on hills

Yea, we should do something about those hills. Maybe get a petition going.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 06-25-21, 12:28 AM
AlanK

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
As might be expected with a touring bike, I think it feels more stable loaded with gear, though it rides great either way.
Old 06-25-21, 05:01 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Good plan, test your gear before you find a serious problem on a tour later.

When I have done a loaded test ride, I added a 10 pound brick to simulate food weight, put that up high for worst case scenario. I put it in a paper or plastic bag to protect the paint on the rack.
Old 01-06-22, 09:04 PM
rodolfo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, what is the kickstand that you put on the Sutra? Does it work well?
Likes For rodolfo:
Old 01-07-22, 11:53 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by rodolfo
Most, though I didn't say all, touring people that I ran into over the years started out with kickstands, but then took them off when they figured out they didn't need them, plus it reduced weight by not having one on. After learning that, I took mine off and never looked back.
Old 01-07-22, 04:25 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by rodolfo
BV Alloy Adjustable Rear Side Non-Slip Bicycle Bike Kickstand for 24" - 29" Mountain Bike/Road Bike/BMX/MTB
As much as I try to stay away from Amazon, it was a good purchase and came in very handy on my tour. I certainly wouldn't entertain removing it from the bike. The number of times during my weeklong tour that I was able to stop quite literally wherever I wanted without having to find a place to lean the bike (or worse, lay it down) made it a worthwhile investment. For example, when you see a sunflower field and you just HAVE to stop...