Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Columbia!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Columbia!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-22, 09:20 PM
CrankDatCoop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody know what year this Columbia Torpedo is?

So I recently acquired an old Columbia Torpedo for a great price (Seller said probably 1960's model) even though it is pretty rough around the edges and will need some work. Although, I am noticing things here and there that are missing and/or may not be factory so I wanted to know if anybody can tell me more about the bike I will have attached a picture of. I've been looking for a while online until I stumbled upon this thread and there's really not that much info out there about vintage Columbia cruisers. I am most curious to know what year it is so that I can start finding parts for the things that I know are missing.
Notes:
-Columbia Torpedo for sure but I have yet to see this tank style of bike with a black seat although the seat may not be original (i dont know)
-Handlebars/Grips on bike in photo are not original for sure
-I'm guessing pedals are not original as they seem shinier than the rest of the metal on the cranks and I haven't seen this kind of pedal in pictures on columbia's before
-Wheels seem to be in pretty good shape for potentially being 70 years old so may not be original but it is possible depending on material
-I have seen pictures of similar bikes almost all with fenders and/or a cargo rack so I believe I am missing those pieces for sure
Questions:
- What year is it? Best guess?
- Which parts am I missing? (Fenders for sure) Cargo rack over back wheel? Handlebar style I should be looking for as well as sizing? Fender or handlebar lights? potential vintage light improvisations?
- Handlebar grip ideas for comfort? Looking to restore most of it (mayyyyyybe paint) but will probably maximize the comfort with newer seat/grips/pedals/cup holder/etc

DISCLAIMER (KINDA) : I just joined the forum and will have to make 10 posts or replys in order to post the photo I have so I'm really sorry but I need to find out more since this seems like the perfect forum to do it. Again very sorry but this seems to be the downside to immediately joining haha
Old 01-20-22, 11:42 AM
CrankDatCoop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This forum basically wont let me do anything before I make ten posts which could take forever considering all the mandatory wait times between posting and limits to what I can do before then so would somebody mind emailing me at cprhorwitz@gmail.com so that I can forward you the pictures to post them for me? Sorry but dont want to wait a year to get info on a bike I already have in pieces haha
Old 01-20-22, 01:34 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
The limits for new forum members are five legitimate cycling posts per day for two days. No junk posts. Not very hard.

Old 02-22-22, 07:55 AM
1oldtrackie

Bikes: Only Track bikes in the collection - about 27 or so left out of 130 approx

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 37 Posts
1895 Columbia Model #44 Factory Racer

The racing models starting in 1892 used a blue rim and Columbia called these "The Blue Rimmed Racers".