Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

slow spinning wheels on kid bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-22, 04:55 AM
brainiii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello fellow bikers,

got my kid some 18" cheap bike, single speed. Kid complains the bike is difficult to ride the pedals, especially uphill. Kid can ride a bike in general (this is the 3rd bike) so the rider is not the issue. Also got a 20 inch bike which can ride so bike size is also not the issue. What I checked:
1) Tyres have the proper amount of air
2) I calibrated the brakes and they are not rubbing
3) Chain is in good condition and lubed.

The problem seems to be with the hubs. Basically, when u put the bike upside down and spin the wheel, it relatively quickly comes to a stop, unlike my mountain bike and all other bikes.
I don't know if this can be fixed at all? I've tried spraying oil in the hubs but it made no difference, to me it looks they are sealed???

anything that can be done? I can't seem to post pictures as this is a new account.
thanks
Old 01-18-22, 07:30 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Remove the wheels and turn the axles by hand. If they feel rough, then they are probably open bearing (i.e., cup and cone) bearings that need adjustment - and they might need more grease, too. Instructions. (You'll need appropriately-sized cone wrenches.)
Old 01-18-22, 09:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Is this a kids bike with or without multiple gears on the rear?

I've never looked at the actual ratios on the kids bikes, but at a glance, many kids bikes don't really have the gears for climbing with out it being very hard to pedal.

But maybe your kids bike and my idea of a kids bike aren't the same. So it'd help to know what bike this is....... even if it were a adult bike that would help greatly.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-18-22, 09:11 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
If Koyote's bearing suggestion doesn't work, have you checked the tire pressure?
Old 01-18-22, 09:24 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Iride01
Is this a kids bike with or without multiple gears on the rear?

I've never looked at the actual ratios on the kids bikes, but at a glance, many kids bikes don't really have the gears for climbing with out it being very hard to pedal.

But maybe your kids bike and my idea of a kids bike aren't the same. So it'd help to know what bike this is....... even if it were a adult bike that would help greatly.
Originally Posted by pdlamb
If Koyote's bearing suggestion doesn't work, have you checked the tire pressure?
OP states that the bike is a SS and the tire pressure has been checked. States that the problem is "Basically, when u put the bike upside down and spin the wheel, it relatively quickly comes to a stop,"

I doubt that this issue would make a bike feel noticeably sluggish, but the OP asked about the hubs...Hence my suggestion.
Old 01-18-22, 09:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Koyote
OP states that the bike is a SS and the tire pressure has been checked. States that the problem is "Basically, when u put the bike upside down and spin the wheel, it relatively quickly comes to a stop,"

I doubt that this issue would make a bike feel noticeably sluggish, but the OP asked about the hubs...Hence my suggestion.
Missed the part about being a single speed.

Not sure why you feel you have to defend your suggestion. I didn't have any issue with that.

Though being a single speed bike, it will be much harder to go up hills as the child reported. And if the child isn't use to that particular gear ratio because their previous bike was an easier ratio, then their initial gripe will be that it's harder to pedal.
Old 01-18-22, 09:53 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Iride01
Missed the part about being a single speed.

Not sure why you feel you have to defend your suggestion. I didn't have any issue with that.

Though being a single speed bike, it will be much harder to go up hills as the child reported. And if the child isn't use to that particular gear ratio because their previous bike was an easier ratio, then their initial gripe will be that it's harder to pedal.
No, not really defending my suggestion. I thought your comment about the gearing might be the real issue, and that had not occurred to me -- so was explaining why I gave the advice about hubs.
Old 01-18-22, 10:37 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by brainiii
Hello fellow bikers,

got my kid some 18" cheap bike, single speed. Kid complains the bike is difficult to ride the pedals, especially uphill. Kid can ride a bike in general (this is the 3rd bike) so the rider is not the issue. Also got a 20 inch bike which can ride so bike size is also not the issue. What I checked:

The problem seems to be with the hubs. Basically, when u put the bike upside down and spin the wheel, it relatively quickly comes to a stop, unlike my mountain bike and all other bikes.
I don't know if this can be fixed at all? I've tried spraying oil in the hubs but it made no difference, to me it looks they are sealed???

anything that can be done? I can't seem to post pictures as this is a new account.
thanks
There's your answer. Is it a coaster brake? They don't spin well either.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-18-22, 10:06 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
One more idea - I've seen kids' single speeds that were built with the chain too tight - since the cranks aren't usually high quality they're sometimes out of round so the chain tension is fine at one spot, and tight enough to bind 90° later.

But why are you turning it upside down to spin the wheel? Just pick up the front or back end and give a little spin.
Old 01-18-22, 11:22 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Adjust your hub axles
Likes For TPL:
Old 01-19-22, 12:50 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Bearings are likely poorly lubed and tight. Common on ANY new bike or gotten used.
My old CCM front wheel will spin 3 or 4 minutes. Same with both my SA drum brake IGHs. My roller brake wheels both stop in 25 to 35 secs.

One day last year I was at a convenience store when a teen came in with a BMX bike and set it upsidedown. As a lark, I gave the front wheel a little spin and it wouldn't quit before he went back to it. LOL.

I bought a new bike this year for $1,000, so not cheap. It came with roller brakes and Nexus 7i.
I sooner or later figured out that ALL the bearings were tight. I took apart the pedals right away, because they wouldn't spin even one whole rev. WTF.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 01-19-22 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-19-22, 03:31 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Hello fellow bikers,

thanks
Many fine suggestions here but one I didn't see and recommend that to check if the chain from the crank to the rear wheel is too tight and causing binding. We have seen that on a lot of children's bikes lately from Chinese manufacturers

Last edited by JoeTBM; 01-20-22 at 03:17 AM.
Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 01-19-22, 04:11 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
My money would be on the gearing ratio.
wheel bearings have to be VERY poor before they become an obvious obstacle.
How a wheel spins unloaded doesn’t give a good indication of how much they contribute to the overall drag during riding.
2nd guess would be chain binding.
3rd would be crank arm length.
Cheap kids bikes can come with just about anything, even ”adult” crank lengths. A kid might not have the vocabulary to explain why that feels wrong.
Old 01-19-22, 04:28 AM
brainiii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
One more idea - I've seen kids' single speeds that were built with the chain too tight - since the cranks aren't usually high quality they're sometimes out of round so the chain tension is fine at one spot, and tight enough to bind 90° later.

But why are you turning it upside down to spin the wheel? Just pick up the front or back end and give a little spin.

1) chain is not too tight, it's just right so that it doesn't fall off the chain ring (which did happen a couple of times before i adjusted it)
2) I find that upside down is so much easier to check and compare front and rear wheel spin and generally "work" on the bike
Old 01-19-22, 04:35 AM
brainiii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should add here that the bike has normal v brakes (someone asked about coaster brakes) and that one noticeable difference from the previous, smaller 16" bike is that this one is heavier, so naturally it was gonna be harder to pedal compared to the previous one.
However, I just wanna see if the riding experience can be improved, hence the slow wheel spinning question.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I would like to try to open up the bearings and relube them but have no idea on how to or even if they can be opened. I wish I could post a picture.
Old 01-19-22, 07:12 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Remove the wheels and turn the axles by hand. If they feel rough, then they are probably open bearing (i.e., cup and cone) bearings that need adjustment - and they might need more grease, too. Instructions. (You'll need appropriately-sized cone wrenches.)
This is what you need to do first. Having worked on dozens of cheap kid's bikes this past year, I've found almost all of them with wheel bearings that were too tight.
Old 01-19-22, 09:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I wish I could post a picture.
You can.

You just can't do it in a post here yet. But you can put the pic on a hosting site and then in the plain text of your next message, write the URL of the sharing link to the pic. Remove/delete https:// from it and then put a space on either side of any . in it.

Someone here will know how to fix it and will post your pics for you. imgur.com works real well for this, but others too work if you insure you get the link to share with other non-members of that site if they require a membership.

Don't use any of the linking tools in the editor. There is a gallery here on BF you can use too, but in the past it's still taken some time for pics from noobs to show up. You could go out and participate in other conversation here on BF. After you get past 10 total posts your restrictions for image posting drop away. Don't try to do that in the same day though. As a noob there are daily limits for posting or some such thing.

It's all for helping with spam on the site. Unfortunately it's impact affects noobs with no intention of spamming.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-19-22 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-19-22, 10:39 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by DiabloScott

Sorry, I missed your replied about a too tight chain

Last edited by JoeTBM; 01-20-22 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-19-22, 11:27 PM
brainiii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, here are the pics of the bike.

ibb.co/rfkTsKh
ibb.co/xY572VB

add https in front
Old 01-20-22, 03:16 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Well the chain doesn't look too tight but the chain looks dry, could use a little oil there but I see you said it was lubed in the OP

So without being able to put my hands on the bike, I go along with a slight cone adjustment of both wheels

Old 01-20-22, 02:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Here we go...

https://ibb.co/rfkTsKh

https://ibb.co/xY572VB
Old 01-20-22, 02:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

It could be the bearings too tight, but still that look to be a big chain ring for a children's bike. Which means it'll be harder to pedal than any children's bike with a smaller chain ring.

Is that 34 teeth or better on the front and only 14 on the back?
Old 01-20-22, 03:08 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
You've already said the wheels don't spin freely, pull the wheels off and adjust the hubs till they do. You'll need 2 sets of cone wrenches ideally, 13mm in the front and 15mm in the back. Adjust the cones outward till the wheel spins smoothly, check the bottom bracket for the same, that can often be tight as well. All those will effect the ease of pedaling. I doubt the gearing is much of an issue, plenty of kids run around on the factory gearing without ever changing it and do fine but if the wheels are tight and the BB is tight, that's all just excess resistance.
Old 01-20-22, 04:47 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Would agree the wheel bearings should be adjusted right.

In terms of gearing that model doesn't appear to be on the vendors site and they don't say what's upfront but it looks like they're using 18T in the back on most of their kids bikes.

Looking at some others I'm seeing a specialized that's 26:16 on a 16" wheel for 26 gear inches or 36:18 on a 20 for 40 gear inches

Single speed kids bikes are made for driveways, parking lots, and rail trails more than climbs, but those aren't crazy ratios for climbing moderate things.

Another biggie with kids bikes is the seat often being set too low as that gives more confidence - but it may have to come up only a little bit at time, possibly a small measured step after bedtime, and another a week later. When they start doing the whole pedal out of saddle then sit down and coast routine, adjustment is needed.

Last edited by UniChris; 01-20-22 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-20-22, 07:28 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
You've already said the wheels don't spin freely, pull the wheels off and adjust the hubs till they do. You'll need 2 sets of cone wrenches ideally, 13mm in the front and 15mm in the back. Adjust the cones outward till the wheel spins smoothly, check the bottom bracket for the same, that can often be tight as well. All those will effect the ease of pedaling. I doubt the gearing is much of an issue, plenty of kids run around on the factory gearing without ever changing it and do fine but if the wheels are tight and the BB is tight, that's all just excess resistance.
Exactly - the kid's complaint that riding is hard is not useful. The OP's statement that the wheels don't spin freely IS. He didn't say if the front or back is a bigger problem or both the same, but big gears don't stop wheels. If the wheel doesn't spin well when it's off the bike, it's a hub/lube issue. If it does, but it doesn't spin well ON the bike, it's an alignment or truing issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.