Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Velo Orange Grand Cru seatpost problems??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-22, 12:09 PM
wild man walt 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am not sure if this is the correct category or not.

Because of a bike with too steep a seat tube angle, I need a post with the greatest amount of setback and Velo Orange Grand Cru with 3.2 cm of setback would seem to address that need. Once mounted, the saddle would have to be slammed back as far as it would go.

I read a review that claimed when the saddle is mounted as far back on the rails as possible, there is a problem with saddle adjustability in that the way the clamp is designed, it limits how the seat angle can be adjusted.

Has anyone used this seatpost encountered that problem or any others?

Thank you.

Walt
Old 01-23-22, 12:36 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I have this post on a bike. And although my seat isn't slammed all the way back, I haven't had any problems adjusting the angle or anything else. I've had a couple different saddles on the bike and it holds them very securely.

The two-bolt setup is quite a bit slower to adjust than a single bolt. But once you dial it in, you never touch it. So, whatever.
Likes For FastJake:
Old 01-23-22, 12:41 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I have that seatpost. Angling the saddle downward does move the clamp forward, but you can still move the saddle aft-ward as far as the rails allow. The offset of the clamp does depend on saddle angle. I don't know if the advertised 32mm offset is when the saddle is angled up all the way, angled down all the way, or in the middle.

There's an older version of the Gran Cru seatpost in which the offset doesn't change with saddle angle, if you can find one.

The IRD WayBack has the most offset available, I think.

https://www.interlocracing.com/shop/...t-wayback-2418

edit: looks like there were some issues with that old style Grand Cru seatpost: https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/201...per-clamp.html

Last edited by tyrion; 01-23-22 at 12:52 PM.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 01-23-22, 01:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The usual issue with seat post clamping rails at the far front end of them is there's so much leverage being placed on the rails with so much seat hanging out back of the clamp. We see many bent seat rails (and this really effects seat angle) on customer bikes because of this. Andy

PS- There's about a 1 degree per cm of set back relationship at the top of a seat tube. So for a seat to be well placed (per rider's preference) and also need 3+ cm of post set back AND all the rails' set back range means to me that either the fit is weird (although swept back and upright handle bars do want more seat set back then drop bars do) or that frame has a REALLY steep seat tube angle. Unless the rider is using seat position to get their reach to the bars better (which we know is not what set back is meant to address).

I do wonder about the rider's fit, trguardless on the bike's seat angle.

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 01-23-22 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-23-22, 01:58 PM
tyrion

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The usual issue with seat post clamping rails at the far front end of them is there's so much leverage being placed on the rails with so much seat hanging out back of the clamp. We see many bent seat rails (and this really effects seat angle) on customer bikes because of this. Andy

PS- There's about a 1 degree per cm of set back relationship at the top of a seat tube. So for a seat to be well placed (per rider's preference) and also need 3+ cm of post set back AND all the rails' set back range means to me that either the fit is weird (although swept back and upright handle bars do want more seat set back then drop bars do) or that frame has a REALLY steep seat tube angle. Unless the rider is using seat position to get their reach to the bars better (which we know is not what set back is meant to address).

I do wonder about the rider's fit, trguardless on the bike's seat angle.
These long set-back posts are often needed to compensate for Brooks saddles' archaically short rails. My B17 is moved aft as far as the rails allow, and the midpoint of the saddle is still forward of the clamp.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 01-23-22, 03:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
When you have to go to seat posts with more setback, then I have to believe you bought the bike more for it's looks than for the way you ride it or how it fit.

But yes you don't really want to have the saddle at the extremes of the rail position in the clamps as a normal thing. The heavier you are or the bumpier your riding conditions the higher stress they'll have to handle or they'll bend or break.

So yes you need to find some seat post that has more setback. Does it have to be a Velo Orange? Not sure why some seem to gravitate to them when there is so many others out there.

Oh... welcome to BF!

Last edited by Iride01; 01-23-22 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-23-22, 03:04 PM
wild man walt 

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really appreciate everyone's help with this and for your suggestions. I am a tall rider and find 72-72.5 seat tube angle works great for me, since I have a long femur. I have an older Merlin Works titanium track frame designed by Tom Kellogg (I bought the frame used, so it was not designed for me). I have been searching for a way to make the steep seat tube angle work. With the setback seatpost, balance would not be the best, but I am just trying to get in a position where I can actually ride it.
Old 01-23-22, 03:04 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
When you have to go to seat posts with more setback, then I have to believe you bought the bike more for it's looks than for the way you ride it or how it fit.
Incorrect. For starters, see the post above yours.
Old 01-23-22, 03:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Originally Posted by walnutz
Incorrect. For starters, see the post above yours.
How does that make me incorrect?

Bikes models have different seat tube angles. Many people I see with saddles that have large amounts of setback are using their road bike as if it were a cruiser style bike. Cruiser will have less of an angle to between the seat post and horizontal so that effectively removes the need for more setback since the saddle will be further behind the BB than a typical road bike.

And as I said in my post, it's my belief. Not an absolute or that there aren't circumstances where it is warranted.
Old 01-23-22, 03:18 PM
tyrion

But yes you don't really want to have the saddle at the extremes of the rail position in the clamps as a normal thing. The heavier you are or the bumpier your riding conditions the higher stress they'll have to handle or they'll bend or break.

So yes you need to find some seat post that has more setback. Does it have to be a Velo Orange? Not sure why some seem to gravitate to them when there is so many others out there.

Oh... welcome to BF!
The VO Grand Cru has the most set-back for under $100.
Old 01-23-22, 04:12 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
I also have one of the VO SP's and the adjustment can be a real bear to get just right for some setups. Also have to move my saddle almost as far back as it will go and I always dread doing anything where I have to take the saddle off and put back on again. Alternate tightening each clamp bolt a few turns at a time to get the position right and have patience is my best advice.
Old 01-23-22, 04:38 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
These long set-back posts are often needed to compensate for Brooks saddles' archaically short rails. My B17 is moved aft as far as the rails allow, and the midpoint of the saddle is still forward of the clamp.

I agree completely. Do remember these saddles were designed back when seat tube angles were slacker then is the current fashion. Also if the brooks saddle in play is in the B-66 family of shape (there have been a few variants on the wider yet short shape) these were really meant for upright barred bikes which often had 68ish degreed seat tubes. Andy
Old 01-23-22, 07:56 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
How does that make me incorrect?

Bikes models have different seat tube angles. Many people I see with saddles that have large amounts of setback are using their road bike as if it were a cruiser style bike. Cruiser will have less of an angle to between the seat post and horizontal so that effectively removes the need for more setback since the saddle will be further behind the BB than a typical road bike.

And as I said in my post, it's my belief. Not an absolute or that there aren't circumstances where it is warranted.
Yup, you’re right. I misread the OP. I was thinking about my own experience with needing longer setback before and got all mixed up.