Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing locknut from freehub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-21, 02:52 AM
trenzterra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I have a freehub that uses a locknut on each side requiring a 17mm cone spanner to be placed on each side to unscrew. It isn't the typical kind where you can place two cone spanners on the locknut on the same side to unscrew. The axle itself is circular -- no hex shape for an Allen key to fit in.

The thing is, when I unscrew one of the locknut (by placing one cone spanner on each side, and turning counterclockwise), the locknut on the looser side comes off easily. However, I no longer have any leverage to make sure the axle stays still. As a result, I can never remove the locknut on the other side. As somehow the locknut on the non drive side is always slightly looser than on the drive side, I can never remove the locknut on the drive side.

I tried using an adjustable spanner and a needle nose plier to clamp the axle while trying to remove the locknut on the drive side, but the axle always slips and I'm afraid of stripping the threads.

Is there any way around this?
Old 10-03-21, 05:56 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
You need another cone wrench to loosen the locknut from the cone, typically the cone uses a 15mm cone wrench and only has two "flats" for the wrench to lock on to. Also as you mentioned it is a rear wheel, it may be easier to first remove the freewheel or cassette gear assembly, that should give you access to the cone on the drive side. grease or dirt on the cone may be blocking you from seeing the flats of the cone itself.

Maybe this video will help you

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...2&action=click

Old 10-03-21, 07:47 AM
trenzterra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. Unfortunately, the design of the lock nut is such that it covers the entire axle (see attached photo -- the lock nut and the conical base below is actually one piece), so there is no way I can insert two cone wrenches on the same side. Basically, I need to find a way to stabilise the axle so that I can unscrew the locknut but I am not able to figure out how to do so.

EDIT: I can't seem to post photos yet, so I have uploaded a link here: ibb.co/R9jmPSx
Old 10-03-21, 07:47 AM
trenzterra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have just reached 10 posts! Here's a photo
Old 10-03-21, 08:09 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Who made the hub? Knowing how to service something starts with knowing what you are working on. Different hubs require different methods
Old 10-03-21, 08:17 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12740 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
Some axles have an Allen wrench fitting inside, sometimes you can use an axle vise.
Old 10-03-21, 08:44 AM
trenzterra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Some axles have an Allen wrench fitting inside, sometimes you can use an axle vise.
Unfortunately, the axle is totally round inside, so no Allen wrench can fit inside...
Old 10-03-21, 08:45 AM
trenzterra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Who made the hub? Knowing how to service something starts with knowing what you are working on. Different hubs require different methods
It is by this brand called Litepro. It is a Chinese brand, so details are scarce. This is a 20" 451 wheel by the way, so parts are perhaps a little unconventional.
Old 10-03-21, 08:53 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by trenzterra
Unfortunately, the axle is totally round inside, so no Allen wrench can fit inside...
Gonna have to get an axelvise I think.

It looks brand new, for what reason are you trying to get at the bearings?
Old 10-03-21, 09:10 AM
trenzterra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Gonna have to get an axelvise I think.

It looks brand new, for what reason are you trying to get at the bearings?
Thank you. I'll look into getting an axle vise.

To be honest, no reason at all. I just want to figure out how to assemble and disassemble a bike. I've managed to learn everything else except this and it bugs me that I can't figure out how.
Old 10-03-21, 09:12 AM
alcjphil

Thank you. I'll look into getting an axle vise.

To be honest, no reason at all. I just want to figure out how to assemble and disassemble a bike. I've managed to learn everything else except this and it bugs me that I can't figure out how.
Have you considered that the drive side is not supposed to be removed? Possibly after removal of the non drive side locknut the axle can be pushed out of the hub on the drive side
Old 10-03-21, 09:37 AM
trenzterra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Have you considered that the drive side is not supposed to be removed? Possibly after removal of the non drive side locknut the axle can be pushed out of the hub on the drive side
I removed it once the first time I tried it and was able to access the freehub body. It's just that after I tightened it back up, the drive-side locknut became tighter than the NDS locknut and I can no longer remove the freehub body.

Anyway, I think I will get one of these to see if it gives me enough leverage to grip the axle, while I attempt to remove the locknut on the other end: https://www.amazon.sg/dp/B08818RC7C?...02_02_t_img_lh
Old 10-03-21, 09:53 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I removed it once the first time I tried it and was able to access the freehub body. It's just that after I tightened it back up, the drive-side locknut became tighter than the NDS locknut and I can no longer remove the freehub body.

Anyway, I think I will get one of these to see if it gives me enough leverage to grip the axle, while I attempt to remove the locknut on the other end: https://www.amazon.sg/dp/B08818RC7C?...02_02_t_img_lh
If you plan on doing a lot of wheel work, get a bench vise and an axle vise like:
https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-AV-...a-564598579111

There's also a bigger axle vise that does more sizes.
Old 10-03-21, 11:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
What's the other side look like? Maybe what you are showing us it all one piece that goes thru to the other side and the nut and locknut on the other side and maybe some other stuff on the drive side need to be taken off first.

Though removing the disc might show some other clues.

I'd look for any identification or numbers on that hub and google every which way I could think of for a service manual or assembly drawing. Failing that a youtube video.
Old 10-03-21, 07:22 PM
trenzterra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
What's the other side look like? Maybe what you are showing us it all one piece that goes thru to the other side and the nut and locknut on the other side and maybe some other stuff on the drive side need to be taken off first.

Though removing the disc might show some other clues.

I'd look for any identification or numbers on that hub and google every which way I could think of for a service manual or assembly drawing. Failing that a youtube video.
The other side has a locknut/cap that is exactly the same -- conical in shape and covers the whole side of the axle when screwed in. Basically each locknut screws clockwise into the axle and I have to use two 17mm cone wrenches to unscrew it. The thing is, one locknut tends to unscrew first (the non drive side) and I cannot get the other side to unscrew because the axle keeps turning. Previously, the drive side unscrewed first until I screwed it back a little too tightly as compared to the non drive side, so this is how I know.

So my question is how do I grip a round axle in place without stripping the locknut threads. Seems like an axle vise is the solution.
Old 10-03-21, 10:45 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Or contact them for instructions

https://liteprobicycle.com/pages/contact-us

Old 10-04-21, 07:44 AM
trenzterra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Or contact them for instructions

https://liteprobicycle.com/pages/contact-us
Thank you. Unfortunately, liteprobicycle.com is an imitation of the 'real' Litepro and the real Litepro's website is at ********************???_liteprobike.com which is only in Chinese.

I feel that my issue is more mechanical in nature (rather than something I need to resort to a manual for) and I do know how to remove the locknut on each side. The trouble is that I tightened the locknut on the drive side a little too tight previously and as a result, I can only loosen the non-drive side locknut.

Attached below is how the axle looks like on the non-drive side with the locknut removed. Basically I need to find a way to grip the axle such that I can remove the locknut on the other side.

This is how the locknut on the drive side looks -- basically a replica of the non drive side

The locknut on the drive side can be removed -- because I removed it once before, just that now I have tightened it a little too much that I no longer have the leverage to loosen it.

Apart from getting a bench vise (a little bit of an issue because I do not have a solid table), are there any alternative methods I can try?
Old 10-04-21, 09:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Now that you have one side off, it looks and seems as if you can just pull the entire axle whatever is attached to it out from the other side. That's what we use to do with axles on freewheel equipped bikes. Though not knowing for certain what that freehub is.... watch for small parts falling out or scattering to parts unknown.
Old 10-04-21, 09:54 AM
alcjphil

That looks like an aluminum axle. Even using an axle vice you might easily damage the threads of that soft metal. I would be looking to see if the axle can be pushed out the drive side before doing anything else.
Old 10-04-21, 04:43 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

My only other thought is to thread on a couple of nuts or possibly even three nuts on to the non-drive side, locking them very tight to each other BUT NOT against the sealed bearing and then putting a wrench on the outer INNER nut while trying to loosen the drive side locknut. You might get lucky to free the drive side lock nut.

Last edited by JoeTBM; 10-05-21 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Because I'm an idiot :-)
Old 10-04-21, 07:19 PM
trenzterra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My only other thought is to thread on a couple of nuts or possibly even three nuts on to the non-drive side, locking then very tight to each other BUT NOT against the sealed bearing and then putting a wrench on the outer nut while trying to loose the drive side locknut. You might get lucky to free the drive side lock nut.
Thanks! This makes a lot of sense. Will try this out and see if it actually works.
Old 10-05-21, 02:18 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

My only other thought is to thread on a couple of nuts or possibly even three nuts on to the non-drive side, locking them very tight to each other BUT NOT against the sealed bearing and then putting a wrench on the outer nut while trying to loose the drive side locknut. You might get lucky to free the drive side lock nut.
Thanks! This makes a lot of sense. Will try this out and see if it actually works.
I have no idea why I said the outer nut..... that would break free the easiest, the inner nut would take some force to move the 1 or 2 outer nuts as it is locked against it.

I should have said ......"and then putting a wrench on the INNER nut while trying to loosen the drive side locknut."

I will also edit my other reply to reflect this.

Last edited by JoeTBM; 10-05-21 at 02:26 AM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 10-05-21, 09:21 AM
trenzterra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no idea why I said the outer nut..... that would break free the easiest, the inner nut would take some force to move the 1 or 2 outer nuts as it is locked against it.

I should have said ......"and then putting a wrench on the INNER nut while trying to loosen the drive side locknut."

I will also edit my other reply to reflect this.
Thanks for the clarification!

Haven't got the chance to get a suitably sized nut yet... But I applied a bit of blue loctite on the non drive side and now I can remove the drive side locknut. Well, at the expense of the non drive side I guess. But I think getting access to the drive side locknut is more crucial in case I want to service or replace the freehub body down the road.
Old 10-05-21, 09:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

So if you pull on the freehub, it and the axle don't just come out of the hub?

Maybe give the axle a tap on the non-drive side with a mallet.... not a hammer. If you use a hammer, then put a piece of wood or plastic between it and what you hit.

Maybe do it over a towel or bowl to keep any thing loose from getting lost forever
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-05-21, 10:03 AM
trenzterra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So if you pull on the freehub, it and the axle don't just come out of the hub?

Maybe give the axle a tap on the non-drive side with a mallet.... not a hammer. If you use a hammer, then put a piece of wood or plastic between it and what you hit.

Maybe do it over a towel or bowl to keep any thing loose from getting lost forever
It doesn't and I haven't tried the mallet method in case I screw up the alignments.

​​​​​​I think the cartridge bearings are press fit which is preventing the axle from coming off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.