Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Nickel Plating??

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Nickel Plating??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-22, 03:59 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Nickel Plating??

So with an upcoming rack build I was wondering about the above?
Has anyone tried it?Is it durable?
Old 01-18-22, 04:22 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
If your going to electroplate Nickle may as well go to chrome but there is another way to plate Nickle.

Electroless Nickel Plating: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...phorus_plating

I have not done it but have seen it done in a US Army Armory. The armorer would just drop small parts into a bath after stripping and cleaning and leave them there for a few weeks. I do not know the details of the mixes but I was impressed with the results.
Old 01-18-22, 05:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
If you nickel plate a high strength steel, make sure the plater knows the alloy and is aware that some steels must be heat treated afterwards. I had Columbus SL fork nickel plated. At 8000 miles, cracks formed around both blades just under the crown; 1/3rd on one side, 2/3rds on the other. The builder contacted an engineering professor who specialized in metallurgy forensics. Apparently the nickel plating process drives hydrogen atoms (molecules?) into the metal structure where they act like gravel in brick mortar. A gentle heat treat drives them back out. (The plater knew all of this but didn't mention that the $30 heat treat not mentioned in his quote was essential.)
Old 01-18-22, 08:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
I can't speak to any home brewed Ni plating but I have seen a few frames done with the pro method. It's a very pleasing color to my eyes. A soft slightly yellow tint. The two riders who I knew well who had the bikes both mentioned that Ni wasn't as wear resistant as chrome is and both bikes showed casing rub through after a few thousands of miles.

I agree with Ben in that one might as well go to chrome. The prep work is the same and only a last buff and dip is the difference. The chrome will be harder and more wear resistant. I bet the cost wouldn't be too much more.

Do take care who you have do the plating. Hobby (and pro) building has a number of horror stories about hydrogen embrittlement (which I have been told is not unique to NI plating BTW), acid erosion, buffing too much and in the wrong spots (think about how thin some tubing walls can be) and that the plater can take short cuts that you will never know about when you pay. I have had a couple of old time builders tell me that if they had brought a Harley motorcycle part or a Colt 45 piece the plater would be highly motivated to do great work, but a bike frame... it's a toy Andy
Old 01-19-22, 08:07 AM
8aaron8

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I will add if you decide to do Nickel plating it is highly recommended to shoot a clear coat over the top to not only protect it from being rubbed off but also slow the effects of UV discoloration. I would definitely echo the advice to just do chrome or build the rack with stainless tubing and keep in raw.
Old 01-19-22, 08:49 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
I will forego the nickel plating idea and pursue chrome. Now to locate a chrone plater.
Old 01-19-22, 08:58 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Tom- If you find a good plater and are willing to share, please do. If you do have problems finding a local one you might contact Franklin Bikes down towards Columbus. I second a protective coating over Ni as it's also porous and water can rust the steel beneath. Andy
Old 01-20-22, 06:35 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
or build the rack in stainless (asks the guy who thinks building a rack may be a good first project

Old 01-21-22, 08:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
That's why I build my racks out of stainless. I have seen some experienced guys say that stainless is not strong enough, but my racks are testimony that it isn't. If you are building a weight weenie rack, then 4130 is better, definitely.
Old 01-21-22, 08:30 PM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
..... my racks are testimony that it isn't.
I'm assuming you are saying your racks are testimony that it is. What stainless do you use? I recently built one from 316 I believe and bending it was very easy compared to the 304 I have used previously.
Old 01-22-22, 07:20 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
My internet is down right now, but I have been using the cheapest welded stainless tube that McMaster sells. 5/16 for randonneur front racks and lowriders. 3/8 for rear racks. No downside to using welded tubing that I have found.

Okay, internet is back. 304 welded. Not quite so cheap right now. https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/128/180
I bought the same thing to make 1" spacers for decaleurs. I have polished it to a better surface on my lathe, but it turns out you can cut yourself in half doing that.

Last edited by unterhausen; 01-22-22 at 12:49 PM.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-22-22, 07:31 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Just to be clear, when chrome plating something a nickel layer goes down on the metal first, then the chrome goes over the top. Triple chrome plating adds an additional layer of copper, before the nickel.