Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any experience in reusing a tapped out Chris King pf30 bb?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 12:30 AM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I have a 2.5 year old Chris King pf30 bb that I've tapped out once and had re-installed -- I don't own bb tools. No issue ever with creaking after the first install and after the second install. I am now building a new bike and planned on using again this pf30 bb. The mech who tapped it out for me -- different from the shop who installed (it went out of business) -- advised against using it again. I understand the issues and get the logic. However, I wasn't quick to accept this given my own experience with reusing this bb, and the high quality, durability, and robustness of Chris King products.

I called Chris King to ask for their thoughts about reusing the bb. The person I spoke with said a third install should be fine as long as it is cleanly tapped out and no anodization is evident. (It was also interesting to learn that they can refurbish it if there is any evidence or concern that it might not provide a tight, secure fit.) To the naked eye, the inner bb part that would press against the bb shell looks clean and smooth. I understand that there could be deformation that I can't detect with the naked eye. If I reinstall and it creaks, I guess the worst case scenario is that I'm out the $20-$30 charge to press it in.

Before I decide whether to buy and use a new pf30 bb or to install again my current one, I am curious to hear about other people's experiences with reusing Chris King pf30 bbs. Thanks!
Old 02-11-19, 12:29 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
If the bearing looks and feels good, I'd vote for reusing it. In my experience with pf30 bearings, it seems like the frame is more likely to lose material than the bearing. There's a bearing company, BB Infinite, that puts a Locktite variant on the bottom bracket shell as part of the installation purpose. The idea is to bond the bearing to the frame somewhat and prevent creaking. You could give that a shot.
Old 02-11-19, 02:17 AM
jasnooks

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah, tap that bb, just like that..
Old 02-11-19, 04:54 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
If the bearing was tapped out using the OD part of the bearing and it felt good I'd re-use it. I won't re-use any bearing that's been driven or pulled out by the ID.
Old 02-11-19, 12:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Then send it back to CK in Portland for bearing replacement..

Why do you want to take it out so often?
Old 02-12-19, 05:04 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you!

Thank you all for your insights and thoughts.

Originally Posted by ljsense
If the bearing looks and feels good, I'd vote for reusing it. In my experience with pf30 bearings, it seems like the frame is more likely to lose material than the bearing. There's a bearing company, BB Infinite, that puts a Locktite variant on the bottom bracket shell as part of the installation purpose. The idea is to bond the bearing to the frame somewhat and prevent creaking. You could give that a shot.
Everything looks good to me. I used loctite 609 before and would do the same this time around.

Originally Posted by nomadmax
If the bearing was tapped out using the OD part of the bearing and it felt good I'd re-use it. I won't re-use any bearing that's been driven or pulled out by the ID.
It was tapped out with the cool Park tool with the prongs. Came out cleanly.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Then send it back to CK in Portland for bearing replacement..
Why do you want to take it out so often?
The first install was for a new bike (call this bike A)
The first time I tapped it out and reinstalled it was because I had to adjust the wiring on that bike (bike A)!
The second time I took it out is because I have a new bike (bike B) and needed to get the wiring out (I put in the bb sleeve, so, no easy access to junction box and wires); and I can now reuse it for this new bike.
The option for servicing by CK is pretty cool -- didn't know about it until I called them. It's not the bearings that was of concern. It's whether the housing that engages the bb shell is uniform and without deformation.

Greatly appreciate your help!