Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is rim tape required in a tubeless wheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-22, 08:38 PM
skyhon

Bikes: Gunnar Sports, Mikkelsen, Paul Taylor, Soma Smoothie, Bianchi Vigorelli, Lemond Sarthe, Surly Bridge Club, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Jamis Dragon Sports, Cannondale Quick, Dahon Helios, Giant Yukon, Custom Triban RC520 with Shimano Alfine 8 Groupset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

I am planning to install tube on a new tubeless wheel. My question is the rim doesn't have any spoke holes in it, so is a rim tape necessary? If it is, what kind of rim tape do I need? The ones for tubeless rims or regular ones would work. Unfortunately, I am not able to upload pictures yet, but FYI I have an Easton ea70 XCT 29er wheel.
Old 06-01-22, 09:55 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
If there is no spoke holes. I wouldn't necessarily worry about it from a functional perspective. If there is a seam opposite the valve hole then sure a spot over the seam is definitely warranted. The seam in aluminum rims are notorious for being leaky.

In any case, as some sealants can be more corrosive than others on aluminum no matter what manufacturers claim, a good wrap with tubeless rim tape is probably just a good idea.

Regular rim tape for tubed use can be porous & can cause all sorts of problems both short & long term. Stick with the tubeless specific options.
Likes For base2:
Old 06-01-22, 10:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by skyhon
I am planning to install tube on a new tubeless wheel. My question is the rim doesn't have any spoke holes in it, so is a rim tape necessary? If it is, what kind of rim tape do I need? The ones for tubeless rims or regular ones would work. Unfortunately, I am not able to upload pictures yet, but FYI I have an Easton ea70 XCT 29er wheel.
Originally Posted by base2
If there is no spoke holes. I wouldn't necessarily worry about it from a functional perspective. If there is a seam opposite the valve hole then sure a spot over the seam is definitely warranted. The seam in aluminum rims are notorious for being leaky.

In any case, as some sealants can be more corrosive than others on aluminum no matter what manufacturers claim, a good wrap with tubeless rim tape is probably just a good idea.

Regular rim tape for tubed use can be porous & can cause all sorts of problems both short & long term. Stick with the tubeless specific options.
I'm baffled. Why does he have to do anything besides make sure the rim seam is smooth? On a tubed wheel, all the rim strip does is keep the tube out of the spoke holes or off the spoke nipples. (I haven't yet run a tubeless wheel so I am waiting to see what I've missed.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-01-22, 11:37 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I'm baffled. Why does he have to do anything besides make sure the rim seam is smooth? On a tubed wheel, all the rim strip does is keep the tube out of the spoke holes or off the spoke nipples. (I haven't yet run a tubeless wheel so I am waiting to see what I've missed.)
What you missed was my dumb reading comprehension. I read tubeless not tubed.--OOPS!

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 06-02-22, 09:34 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I would assume rim tape isn't necessary on your wheel. Can't think of any reason to make a rim without drilling the spoke holes all the way through (making wheelbuilding more challenging) besides removing the need for rim tape. This way, the rim maker can control the final bead seat diameter exactly.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 06-02-22, 11:36 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I would assume rim tape isn't necessary on your wheel. Can't think of any reason to make a rim without drilling the spoke holes all the way through (making wheelbuilding more challenging) besides removing the need for rim tape. This way, the rim maker can control the final bead seat diameter exactly.
building without spoke holes in the inner wall is a bit more challenging but not too bad once you get the hang of it. A short piece of steel spoke t thread into the nipple and a strong magnet to guide it into place are all it takes. I have been seeing more of these lately.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 06-02-22, 11:54 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
building without spoke holes in the inner wall is a bit more challenging but not too bad once you get the hang of it. A short piece of steel spoke t thread into the nipple and a strong magnet to guide it into place are all it takes. I have been seeing more of these lately.
Yeah, it's probably the way of the future. One less thing for shops and users to maintain (or mess up.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 06-02-22, 06:28 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
No rim tape necessary. Adding rim tape will make installing your tire and tube more difficult
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-02-22, 08:50 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Yeah, it's probably the way of the future. One less thing for shops and users to maintain (or mess up.)
Well, depends who you talk to. Some wheel manufacturers say the future is hidden nipples, which I have also been doing a lot of. That precludes a center channel with no spoke holes.
Old 06-17-22, 09:38 AM
okrep23

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
"Tubeless-ready" question on similar Easton

Hello. This is my first tubeless wheelset. As I understand from the Easton instructions, the wheels should be ready to install tubeless tires with appropriate sealant. Easton EA70 AX disc wheelset, 650b.

The rear wheel of the set has bubbles in the tape on the portion of the wheel that is "overtaped" after the valve hole, as pictured. Can this be used as-is? Should I attempt to pull up the tape and re-tape this portion and smooth out the bubbles?

Should I pull this red-orange tape off entirely and start over with a new tubeless rim tape?

Bubbles under tape

Bubbles, and debris under cellophane/Scotch tape

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-22, 01:12 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
no you don’t need rim tape, which is used in a regular wheel to stop the inner tube protruding into the spoke holes. I use a ~2” piece of rim tape spanning the valve hole (with the requisite hole in the tape, obv) to protect the tube from the edge of the hole, but if the edge is smooth and/or radiused, this is probably unnecessary
Likes For Litespud: