Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-22, 12:42 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 3,546 Times in 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
That's why I got the Varia, so I WOULDN'T worry about a car hitting me from behind. It helps plan passes of slower riders, or crossing the right lane to the center on Sand Hill before the 280 interchange. So, definitely not a waste of money.
About that Sand Hill/280 bit. I’ve found that a look back over my left shoulder almost always gets the overtaking driver to slow and let me over. Something that a radar beepie doodad doesn’t accomplish.

Gadgets are great, but Never underestimate the power of “the look”.

Old 09-08-22, 12:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
About that Sand Hill/280 bit. I’ve found that a look back over my left shoulder almost always gets the overtaking driver to slow and let me over. Something that a radar beepie doodad doesn’t accomplish.

Yes indeedy! I use the Varia to tell me when to give The Look. Like, if I see a stream of cars on the radar, I'll roll down the hill a bit slower, knowing that the lights on Sand Hill makes the traffic "clumpy".

And, yeah - the look, and the arm generally work very well.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-08-22, 12:52 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts

The Varia gives you the relative position of approaching vehicles; not only do I use that info to know when to vacate a lane (if/when prudent), but I also use that info to know the best time to give drivers "the look."
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-08-22, 01:51 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Perhaps if you invested in better clothing you'd tolerate the cold better. The cheapest athletic wear usually isn't the warmest. Just a thought.
Clothing isn't the issue. I'd rather not deal with a breakdown at those temps and have to try and fix whatever is broken with frozen fingers/hands or have to walk 5 miles through the woods back to the trailhead. More of a safety precaution on my part than anything else.

Last edited by prj71; 09-08-22 at 02:02 PM.
Likes For prj71:
Old 09-08-22, 01:54 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You weren't just expressing an opinion about the jerseys, you were expressing an opinion about the people who buy the ones you don't think are worth it.
Correct. Expressing an opinion. Having ownership of both more expensive ones and cheaper ones...I don't think it is worth it. That's not saying that anyone has to agree with me.
Likes For prj71:
Old 09-08-22, 01:57 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, I don't give two ***** about what anybody wears/prefers. What I take issue with is someone saying, "hurrr, hurrr, hurrr - poly is poly and you are dumb for spending more money for the exact same thing. I am magnificent competitor, so I should know! Hurr durr durrr!"

Resorting to "Gaslighting 101: You're Making This Weird" after getting called out for fluffing up a resume is just icing on the cake.
LOL. You have some issues. Never called anyone dumb. Never said I am magnificent competitor. That's your head movie...not mine.
Likes For prj71:
Old 09-08-22, 02:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Aero doesn't matter at 9mph, but let's see how high these performance levels were - race series? 6 hour race, I take it? How many in the field? How many times did the winner lap you? Or are these results all of the sudden not important any more?

Old 09-08-22, 02:08 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Correct. Expressing an opinion. Having ownership of both more expensive ones and cheaper ones...I don't think it is worth it. That's not saying that anyone has to agree with me.
Umm, yeah, we're back to these mythical "high-end, top of the line" jerseys that they give away as event freebies. Right.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-08-22, 02:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Uhh, so you agree you're expressing an opinion about people, and go on to explain you own expensive people and cheaper ones?

Are you playing dumb? I don't think anyone is objecting to you having an opinion that x is not worth it, it's your statements about people who do think x is worth it that are the issue. My post could not have been more clear on this point.

We get it, you like dumb arguments.
Old 09-08-22, 02:11 PM
prj71

Oh goodness. You guys.

Old 09-08-22, 02:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

LOL. You have some issues. Never called anyone dumb. Never said I am magnificent competitor. That's your head movie...not mine.

You realize that this whole argument is caused because you can't admit you shouldn't have said "I can't believe people....", right?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-08-22, 02:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Oh goodness. You guys.

Well, considering this is at least the second thread where you've pulled the exact same crap, if the flip flop fits...
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-08-22, 03:16 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
This is running like the threads involving bing 1.
Old 09-08-22, 03:17 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Also 10 degrees cutoff temp and fatbiking is a super weird combination... It's around 10 degrees and colder when snow starts to get its best consistency and fun factor. It's also around 10 degrees when ice starts to gain a little grip and you can start increasing speed.

On top of that 10 degrees is hardly a challenge clothing wise. It's still far easier to put too much on rather than too little.
Took me a few to realize you might be talking 10 degrees centigrade.

I don't know though .... Finland and snow .... not much snow at 10 C.

10F is a pretty challenging scenario sometimes ..... I suppose if you don't stop and don;'t stay outside after riding long enough to cool off you can get away with a little .....
Old 09-08-22, 03:37 PM
greysquirrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

What I find works even better is sticking my hand and arm out.
Likes For greysquirrel:
Old 09-08-22, 03:41 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
This is running like the threads involving bing 1.
Yeah, it's weird. If you got stuck in a conversation with someone like bing or prj71 at a party, you'd try to get away from that person ASAP. But online, they're the **** that attracts flies.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-08-22, 03:54 PM
Vern1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eric F
The issue wasn't really about jerseys.
Ya think

Although you guys have spent almost 20 pages saying the same thing over and over again

Dude you have far more patience than I do
Old 09-08-22, 06:19 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Wow this thread is still going. The OP was banned days ago.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 09-08-22, 06:24 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Took me a few to realize you might be talking 10 degrees centigrade.

I don't know though .... Finland and snow .... not much snow at 10 C.

10F is a pretty challenging scenario sometimes ..... I suppose if you don't stop and don;'t stay outside after riding long enough to cool off you can get away with a little .....
10C is still summer temps. 10F is what I assumed was being discussed.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 09-08-22, 06:34 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
10C is still summer temps. 10F is what I assumed was being discussed.
I don't have one, but my club has a sizable fat bike contingent (they're still trying to get me to pick one up). Yeah, 10F is a non-issue; they go out in quite a bit colder. Hell, I go out on the road bike at 10F if the roads are free from snow/ice.
Old 09-08-22, 06:36 PM
elcruxio

Clothing isn't the issue. I'd rather not deal with a breakdown at those temps and have to try and fix whatever is broken with frozen fingers/hands or have to walk 5 miles through the woods back to the trailhead. More of a safety precaution on my part than anything else.
Man... I just can't relate at all.. Perhaps it's becuse I shuffle fatbike tire pressures during rides without freezing my hands (I have pretty expensive gloves) or because I've had catastrophic breakdowns mid ride and had to walk home. I think the distance was around 5 miles at the time. This one time a Schwalbe tire went weird in the cold and the tire just cracked all the way through. A brand new tire. Snapped a few chains etc (before I knew quick linka were a thing).

Walking sucks at every temp. But I consider 10 degrees to be safer than say, 86 degrees as in the cold dehydration won't become an issue. If the walk takes longer than the intended ride for example
Old 09-08-22, 06:41 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I think people are saying that if the opinion you express is that other people are stupid, then you are just insulting people and trying to hide behind "That's my opinion."

Most of us have lived a long time and seen all the games people play .... and it always the ones who play the worst who think they are winning.

The whole point of your posts has been to tell people who do it differently than you that they are wrong. And obviously that is an opinion, and obviously it is you demeaning people, and obviously it is your opinion that people should be happy that you insult them for not being you ....

You could have expressed the opinion that you have found cheap gear to be perfectly suited to your needs without also trying to demean people who do not ... but you chose a different course. You could have explained your reasoning, without demeaning the differing reasons of others. That was not what you did.

I am not saying I agree with anyone or disagree with anyone in this thread, or approve or disapprove of any post or whatever ... it's the internet. But when we are trying to fool each other and lying to ourselves .... let's strive for a higher standard, shall we?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-08-22, 06:53 PM
Maelochs

Walking sucks at every temp. But I consider 10 degrees to be safer than say, 86 degrees as in the cold dehydration won't become an issue. If the walk takes longer than the intended ride for example
Some stuff where ....

Back when I lived in the frigid north, studded tires hadn't been invented. Mountain bikes were brand new, and we about one step up from balloon-tire Huffys and Schwinns. I tried repeatedly to ride in snow but frozen snow and black is and ice in general made it impractically unsafe. (Nowadays the gear is readily available, but I would never go back ...)

Since riding was out, I walked. So I know what it is like to walk in 10F or -7 F or whatever .... But if I were soaked in sweat and pushing a flat--tried fat bike that far .... I would need to wear cycling clothes and carry walking clothes because I couldn't count on walking to generate enough heat.

Sure, people do Antarctic exploration and all that .... but seat is a real issue at those temps. Sure, humans can survive at -80 .... but to me 10 F is cold enough not to be enough fun. At that temp I think it would be safer to walk because sweat would be so much less of an issue ---- and when I did walk in those temps, I wore a lot of layers and adjusted my clothing frequently to keep from sweating or freezing. So i guess if I were cycling i would have to do the same, and wear a really big pack.

Each to his own, but even at somewhat higher temps, with windchill and such, frostbite can be a real thing .... if you are generating a 15-20 mph wind with your passage you had best have good protection for face and extremities ....

Anyway ... I sometimes wonder where my life would be now if i could have bought studded tires fifty or so years ago.
Old 09-08-22, 07:22 PM
elcruxio

Originally Posted by Maelochs

Since riding was out, I walked. So I know what it is like to walk in 10F or -7 F or whatever .... But if I were soaked in sweat and pushing a flat--tried fat bike that far .... I would need to wear cycling clothes and carry walking clothes because I couldn't count on walking to generate enough heat.
I suppose the trick for me has always been not to be soaked in sweat when riding. The requirement for that of course is to have wicking layers, breathable shell and being cold when setting out. There have been times when I've had water bead up on the jacket outside surface but the inside has been fine. But yeah, one should't let it get to a point where warming layers are getting soaked.

Sure, people do Antarctic exploration and all that .... but seat is a real issue at those temps. Sure, humans can survive at -80 .... but to me 10 F is cold enough not to be enough fun. At that temp I think it would be safer to walk because sweat would be so much less of an issue ---- and when I did walk in those temps, I wore a lot of layers and adjusted my clothing frequently to keep from sweating or freezing. So i guess if I were cycling i would have to do the same, and wear a really big pack.
Strangely even near -40 I've noticed I require very little in terms of layers as long as I have a good outer shell. XC ski clothing is pretty awesome for that. Less is more but it probably isn't be a bad idea to take a lightweight fleece for breaks / needing to huck it.

Each to his own, but even at somewhat higher temps, with windchill and such, frostbite can be a real thing .... if you are generating a 15-20 mph wind with your passage you had best have good protection for face and extremities ....
Extremity protection is key and that's where I put most of my efforts. If the extremities are covered and warm then the body can take care of itself (within reason). Though that reminds me of this one time I was climbing and had to take my gloves and hat off and even open my jacket as to not overheat. In the end I was riding gloveless bare headed with my jacket open in -30 celsius so I wouldn't overheat. I remember the temperature, because the absurdity of the situation made me check it out later.
Old 09-08-22, 07:55 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Extremity protection is key and that's where I put most of my efforts. If the extremities are covered and warm then the body can take care of itself (within reason). Though that reminds me of this one time I was climbing and had to take my gloves and hat off and even open my jacket as to not overheat. In the end I was riding gloveless bare headed with my jacket open in -30 celsius so I wouldn't overheat. I remember the temperature, because the absurdity of the situation made me check it out later.
Yeah, but extremity protection can be a problem. I have a problem with Reynaud's Syndrome, which is exacerbated by cold. Catalytic hand and foot warmers help, but only somewhat. A couple hours is all I can tolerate before the Reynaud's hits, which can take many hours to resolve.

N.B. Been through Turku on my way to Leningrad, many years ago. Quite reminiscent of the landscape and climate just north of where I live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.