Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

What do you make of this "Colnago"?

Old 09-25-22, 04:38 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
What do you make of this "Colnago"?

Browsing E-Bay and stumbled across this frame:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265903216922

A couple more photos on the ad.

Ok, so the fork appears to be genuine Colnago.
The rear dropouts have "COLNAGO" stamped on them.
I can't tell, but it appears as if the clover on the downtube lug may be simply painted on, and not pantographed.

My main objection with this frame is that I've never seen seatstay end caps like that on a Colnago. To me it looks more British than Italian.

Comments?
Old 09-25-22, 05:30 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I'll defer to ones more knowledgeable of later steel Colnagos, but I don't believe it is as described in the ad. I have never seen a steel Colnago that did not have seat stays tapered at each end and also have never seen them brazed into the lug like that. My knowledge of Colnagos past the mid 80s is scanty but I believe that they moved to straight fork blades very early in the 90s. So what year would this be? /
Old 09-26-22, 06:27 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I hesitate to add any comments but I'd be very suspicious. Not only are the seat stays not tapered, but the brazing doesn't look like what I'd expect from a true Colnago. There is something weird going on at that juncture also, with what appears to be some red paint covering up where the tubes join the lug. I'd pass, personally.
Old 09-26-22, 09:04 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked 3,537 Times in 1,764 Posts
I am the farthest from an expert on this but it made me curious. I found plenty of examples of Colnagos with very similar drop outs and and stay style, where they meets the the drop outs.
This one has campy stamped dropouts: but stay details look the same?

https://cicli-berlinetta.com/product...red-road-bike/

What I did not see were any Colnagos where the stays partially wrapped when they met the seatpost like posted one does.

Assuming this is a Colnago, they did do that partial wrapping style at the seatpost at some point, also similar looking dropouts? might not be a match but does seem in the family?

https://buycycle.com/en/bike/columbus-slx

as I love to say here, cause it's true, "I only know enough to get my self I trouble" - might be worth looking this, but I may be way off base, someone far more knowledgeable will likely chime in with a more definitive answer - first few posters were leaning the other way, so I am probably wrong
Old 09-26-22, 09:10 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Does the G346 on the rear DO mean anything?
Old 09-26-22, 04:58 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
I would say pass also note the seller states in description only to Europe but has the frame listed on US Ebay. There is just a bunch of stuff that doesn't seem right on this one.
Old 09-26-22, 11:46 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
IIRC, the seatstay top ends on my 89 Bottechia kinda wraps around the top tube like that......
Old 09-27-22, 12:27 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 139 Posts
The Super Pista has the same seat stay cluster.

Likes For Mackers:
Old 09-27-22, 10:49 PM
d_dutchison
Classic, Vintage Mechanic

Bikes: '65 Legnano Gran Primeo || '76 Holdsworth Mistral || '82 Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts
hummm, If I don't see a Colnago-Club cutout in the BB shell and lugs, and the name engraved on the seatstay tips, I assume it's a fake. The fork is genuine and while there is a cutout on the headtube lug, it appears to be either a decal or something crudely added later with a dremel.

Colnago understood the value of their frames and took pains to ensure they could not be easily counterfeited, even before counterfeit frames were a thing. Because they command a premium price, even a decent quality frame is worth the effort to sacrifice and fake, and Colnago's are one of the most commonly faked classics because the name is so well known.

I would not buy this as a genuine Colnago without seeing the original bill of sale and confirming it's non-standard features in a catalogue. Short of that, it's just a nice Italian (probably) frame with a Colnago fork.