Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Colnago Superissimo late 80s

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-22, 12:51 AM
Peroni

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 22 Posts
Colnago Superissimo late 80s

I won the auction on eBay for this Superissimo, I think is the frame model. $860 was the winning bid, plus sales tax, shipping was free or considered by the bidders. I expect delivery later next week, but no tracking number yet.
It's not as collectable or as valuable as the earlier frames from what I've been reading on the forum. I'm posting it here because I only have three auction photos, and the written description wasn't more than no problem issues, and the size listed at 56cm.
I expect it to measure 58cm, which is the large limit for me, but I knew it was larger than 56cm when I bid.

I like what I can see about it from the pictures, and it will be simpler than it could be for me to maintain.
The paint job is is worth extra to me for some reason. Still, it has to delivered without meaningful damage, and be generally what I expect from the pictures.
Actual wear will need to be determined by closer inspection, so I'm assuming what I want to see.
The rear brake cable is shortened for salvage, or moved for the speedometer, and maybe replaced with incorrect cables.
Price has been determined in some fashion, and just three minimal pictures to imagineer with.

Any comments good or bad are welcome of course, and could be helpful to other buyers.

Last edited by Peroni; 08-13-22 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-13-22, 02:13 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
It's an early/mid-80s Super from the looks of it, and has clearly been refinished at some point. The graphics are incorrect, and the paint/chrome masking on the fork is completely wrong for any Colnago model from this era.

Still and all, it's in very nice condition with its new paint and pretty decent components, too. Sure, you'll probably have to replace the brake cables and housings, but those are small things which won't break the bank. The seatpost is a later model, but still looks good, and the rims are more modern Mavics with machined sidewalls; again, not period correct, but in conjunction with the Campy Record calipers, will add to braking performance. And they're plenty strong, too.

If you were able to snag this for around $900 all-up, I'd say you did okay. If you do keep and ride it, you'll be smiling every time you do. Can't put a price on that!

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-13-22, 02:43 PM
Peroni

Thanks DD, I've read your posts and the restoration on the 70s frame. I read lots of threads and looked at lots of pictures, but I remember the restoration on your 73 frame.
The seller didn't mention a refinished frame, and suggested a used bicycle sill in good condition with bar tape needs replaced and new brake hood, but I can't depend on that to be completely factual.

It will need to fresh grease in the hubs and BB, and the head set, probably new tires, and I think it's used enough for the chain to be worn, along with the brake cables that you mentioned and maybe new pads.
But It will be fun for me to clean up and overhaul because it's not like new, I have good tools and a repair stand if I can start producing and get the job done, and it's not too complicated for me to work on.

I had to look at the auction photos with a small magnifier to see much, and I haven't found a picture of another actual bicycle that seemed directly similar, as for paint and decal branding.
I guessed what it might be from these website pictures a little bit. I'll need to buy a camera to post good pictures of my own, or get a more capable phone.

Last edited by Peroni; 08-14-22 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-14-22, 06:23 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Peroni

The seller didn't mention a refinished frame, and suggested a used bicycle sill in good condition with bar tape needs replaced and new brake hood, but I can't depend on that to be completely factual.

It will need to fresh grease in the hubs and BB, and the head set, probably new tires, and I think it's used enough for the chain to be worn, along with the brake cables that you mentioned and maybe new pads. But It will be fun for me to clean up and overhaul because it's not like new, I have good tools and a repair stand if I can start producing and get the job done, and it's not too complicated for me to work on.

First off, I stand corrected regarding the paint job on the fork - I'd never seen that before you posted the above catalog pic of the green frame. Having said that, the downtube decal at a minimum is surely a replacement, which to me suggests a repaint because everything looks almost perfect. Just to be clear, note the C in Colnago on the downtube decal is bigger than the rest of the letters. That particular decal would be from around the mid-70s, but not carried over into the late 70s/early 80s.

I know the bike hasn't arrived just yet, but I don't think you'll have to do much to it. The pics seem to show a very clean bike, and again, almost too clean - and that's the main reason I believe it's probable the frame's been refinished.

DD
Old 08-14-22, 09:07 PM
Peroni

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
First off, I stand corrected regarding the paint job on the fork - I'd never seen that before you posted the above catalog pic of the green frame. Having said that, the downtube decal at a minimum is surely a replacement, which to me suggests a repaint because everything looks almost perfect. Just to be clear, note the C in Colnago on the downtube decal is bigger than the rest of the letters. That particular decal would be from around the mid-70s, but not carried over into the late 70s/early 80s.

I know the bike hasn't arrived just yet, but I don't think you'll have to do much to it. The pics seem to show a very clean bike, and again, almost too clean - and that's the main reason I believe it's probable the frame's been refinished.

DD
Thanks again DD, I only know enough to do something foolish. I've been looking at the large C with a magnifier because something resembling a flat black club trademark is inside of the large C. The decal could be hiding something, and I didn't know or notice that it's incorrect.
I've been looking at it because it appears odd to me in some way, but didn't note the large C compared to the green frame. Still no tracking number, it will probably ship out on Monday.
Likes For Peroni:
Old 08-14-22, 09:13 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Just be sure to post photos on the Classic and Vintage sub-forum once it arrives, so we can get a good look at the details.

Also, noticed a couple pics of your (recently acquired?) '79 Cinelli Supercorsa in the "Cinelli Cap" thread - you should share some pics of that beauty, too!

DD
Old 08-20-22, 07:43 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
50/50 the seller backs out after figuring out what "free ship" cost them.
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-21-22, 01:47 AM
Peroni

Originally Posted by repechage
50/50 the seller backs out after figuring out what "free ship" cost them.
I wondered how much would be leftover for him, he had a local bike shop package it for shipping, and did bike flights with insurance, plus signature required. The bike shop did well protecting the frame refinish from the front wheel and handlebar, and it arrived in good shape. The frame has been refinish, but it'a professional job, the logo is Fresh Frame and Grade A finish, a shop once located in Ephrata, PA. This blue refinished frame is the second version Superissimo SLX, (mid to late 80s) according to Cycling Obsession. Three more pics of the orange frame that is a match, other than variable paint layout, as was outlined by Gary Fountain in the regular C&V section.
Mackers pointed out that I've posted the same bicycle in two threads in separate sections, which sums up my capabilities pretty well, also.

I remember what you told me to do six months ago with the SC, about referencing the bearings on the Ti BB most importantly, and warned about marring a mint alloy headset. This SLX also has the alloy headset, but it's not perfectly mint, it seems not to be indented that I can tell.

Superissimo SLX (mid to late 80s)

Last edited by Peroni; 08-22-22 at 08:57 AM.