Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do rims wear out?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do rims wear out?

Old 09-21-22, 06:10 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Stacking all these tech changes on top of each other has created a situation in the last 4-5 years where upgrading just isn't possible - it's new bike time. That's what's made a lot of this change untenable for many.

Well, we are getting a little off topic, but 10,000% agree with you. I don't buy new bikes too often, so when I paid a lot of money 7 years ago for a new Titanium beauty, it was with the expectation that it would last me a very long time, if not forever.

But crap, my bike is obsolete. I need new shifters and those are backordered because Ultegra mechanical has gone away. I need new wheels and those are in short supply. Sucks.
Old 09-21-22, 08:03 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
Stacking all these tech changes on top of each other has created a situation in the last 4-5 years where upgrading just isn't possible - it's new bike time. That's what's made a lot of this change untenable for many.

Well, we are getting a little off topic, but 10,000% agree with you. I don't buy new bikes too often, so when I paid a lot of money 7 years ago for a new Titanium beauty, it was with the expectation that it would last me a very long time, if not forever.

But crap, my bike is obsolete. I need new shifters and those are backordered because Ultegra mechanical has gone away. I need new wheels and those are in short supply. Sucks.
Ultegra mechanical has gone away? What are these:

Shimano Ultegra R8000 Road Bike Gear Levers - 11 Speed | Merlin Cycles

I still ride my rim brake bike with CF wheels. They squeal when I brake hard, mais c'est la vie.
Old 09-21-22, 08:31 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Huh? You can get them on Amazon.

Maybe you only need one of them?

And you can't find wheels? I mean, there are still a few supply chain issues, but you can buy wheels.
Old 09-21-22, 08:47 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
People choose discs on road bikes because they are transplanted mountain bikers, and erroneously believe that they need inappropriate ballast on their road bikes such as dropper posts, suspension, fat tires and discs. Your shop is definitely going to push discs hard because it ties customers to the shop for pad replacement, regular bleeding, rotor replacements, rotor straightening and rotor decontamination.
Huh?
My MTB was bought in 2017, it will finally need pads and rotors soon but hasn't been bled once. Its been ridden enough to wear out an entire drivetrain in that time and the rear wheel to need a rebuild due to spoke fatigue but the brakes are still going strong. Built my cross bike in 2020 and have had no trouble with them despite the levels of mud and crap they've been ridden through, and the my oldest's 2018 mtb is now under the youngest and the brakes are showing no sign of needing adjustment. While my road bike is rim brake and is light I do see my next road bike being disc, I like the lack of ever needing to fiddle with them, they don't go out of adjustment and there's no cables/housing to contaminate in the winter. Stopping is very consistent.

Originally Posted by Koyote
Try to use your front brake more. It provides more stopping power.
Really is use dependent, throughout my many college years I usually wore the rear out first but the front would be similar enough that they went in pairs. Commuting it was rare I ever needed the front except for responding to idiots, light changes, or animals. Mostly just slowing down which the back is fine for. The commuter was always a road bike since I'd get my miles in taking the long way home with lots of steep hills and higher speeds and the front brake mattered more balancing the wear. Someone with a dedicated bike might do one or the other.
Old 09-21-22, 10:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The back is fine for regular slowing especially just riding around. What's important is that you use the front brake well in a panic stop. Seems like always mostly using the front brake to stop is probably good for muscle memory.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-22-22, 11:16 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Huh? You can get them on Amazon.

Maybe you only need one of them?

And you can't find wheels? I mean, there are still a few supply chain issues, but you can buy wheels.
Perhaps I was mistaken, but I remember reading that Shimano stopped offering Ultegra groupsets in mechanical configuration. But I guess they'll make parts for a while. I hope.

As to wheels, yes, they are out there. But many of the places I have looked have limited, or zero rim brake options. Industry Nine for example. They told me in a personal email. Chris King, as I understand. Others are out there, sure, but fewer and fewer. It's not like I am buy parts for a Model-T or anything.
Old 09-22-22, 12:10 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Perhaps I was mistaken, but I remember reading that Shimano stopped offering Ultegra groupsets in mechanical configuration. But I guess they'll make parts for a while. I hope.

As to wheels, yes, they are out there. But many of the places I have looked have limited, or zero rim brake options. Industry Nine for example. They told me in a personal email. Chris King, as I understand. Others are out there, sure, but fewer and fewer. It's not like I am buy parts for a Model-T or anything.
There's ton's of Model-T parts available. Same with the Model A....ask me how I know.

Latest generation DA and Ultegra do not have mechanical options. They are still producing previous generation in mechanical for the time being. These will be phased out. You will soon no longer be able to get mechanical replacements that are "Ultegra" or "Dura-Ace". As for how long that will take? Quite a few of the shop owners in the owners forums I am in have been asking just that as they are hesitant to buy OEM bikes with Mechanical Ultegra on them for fear of customers seeing them as "obsolete" and wanting a discount just as soon as Shimano officially announces end of product life for them.

Old 09-22-22, 12:19 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts

Microshift has something that will work.
Old 09-22-22, 01:07 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts

I haven’t looked at their website, but check DT Swiss to see if they make non-disc hubs. Their stuff is terrific.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-22-22, 02:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I haven’t looked at their website, but check DT Swiss to see if they make non-disc hubs. Their stuff is terrific.
​​​​​​Cosigned.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 10-09-22, 07:21 AM
bblair

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​Cosigned.
Still window shopping.

The DT Swiss website lists rim brake style hubs, but you have to go through a dealer. And none of the places I looked has them listed. The DT 240 hubs look great and I might talk to my LBS and sourcing those.

My latest: White Industries T11 hubs. For purchase on their site. And in colors!
Old 10-09-22, 09:19 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Any bike shop with a QBP account (which is nearly every shop in the country) can order any DT hub you want as long as they're in stock. Don't worry if your shop doesn't show them in stock at the shop. Most shops won't stock them because there are so many options.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-10-22, 03:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
There's ton's of Model-T parts available. Same with the Model A....ask me how I know.
So this is how Psimet learned to lace bike wheels?
Old 10-13-22, 04:27 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
So this is how Psimet learned to lace bike wheels?
Alas - they're welded.